GDT: 2022-23 season game 7 LA Kings vs Washington Capitals @4:00pm 10/22/22

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
At least most of the rest of the Pacific Division is losing.

I still think this team will come together as the season goes on, but goaltending may cost them the season.

Quick probably wants one of those 3rd period goals back, but overall I thought he played fine and gave his team a chance to win. Or course he comes out of it with shit stats per usual.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

I still think this team will come together as the season goes on, but goaltending may cost them the season.

Quick probably wants one of those 3rd period goals back, but overall I thought he played fine and gave his team a chance to win. Or course he comes out of it with shit stats per usual.
He did kinda bomb the third period but the team didn’t do shit either the third period. They fell apart altogether. But yes they do definitely get a goalie. They need to overpay for a goalie. It’s the only time I’m comfortable with Blake getting taken behind the shed. They’re gonna go nowhere for the foreseeable future without overpaying for a decent goalie.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
I think the important thing to remember is we have to hang on to the "core" that won cups in 2012 and 2014 until they decide to retire.
I agree that Kopitar and Doughty have a couple of years left in them. But we need the young guys to step up. This means Byfield, Vilardi, Kaliyev, Turcotte, Clarke, Spence et al.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
How many people are terrified to give up anything for Chychrun? And if he's not a top 4D, then name the top 4D than were traded for nothing? Or at all, really. Anyone want an ancient Burns to add to the collection?

Grit; you have to have to move bodies out to bring bodies in. Who goes? Try it without saying Iafallo.

And there's nothing to be done about the goalies. And no, Petersen isn't going to Ontario.
I never wanted Chychrun unless it was a package deal with Crouse added.

I'm more looking at Romanov/Provorov. Both would've been excellent additions on this blueline.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

There was absolutely no difference between Quick last night and Peterson the night before. Weak goals, inability to make a save to alter momentum, and the team caved in - again - after piss poor goaltending.

Clearly Quick has immeasurable amounts of good will in the bank while Peterson is the whipping boy, but neither of them is holding up to even average netminding.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
There was absolutely no difference between Quick last night and Peterson the night before. Weak goals, inability to make a save to alter momentum, and the team caved in - again - after piss poor goaltending.

Clearly Quick has immeasurable amounts of good will in the bank while Peterson is the whipping boy, but neither of them is holding up to even average netminding.
I disagree completely.

Not that he played great, that Carlson goal was bad, but if you can't see that he's playing measurably better than Cal you're not being objective.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Thats 3rd period is not on quick. You could see it coming from a mile away, they didn't get past the redline for the first 5 minutes, couldn't make a pass and kept giving up high danger chances all game.

Quick must have made 5 point blank saves from the slot due to blown coverage before the implosion, you know the ones where everyone looks at each other wondering whos man that is with the puck while he just strolls on in below the dots and picks his spot to shoot

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
He did kinda bomb the third period but the team didn’t do shit either the third period. They fell apart altogether. But yes they do definitely get a goalie. They need to overpay for a goalie. It’s the only time I’m comfortable with Blake getting taken behind the shed. They’re gonna go nowhere for the foreseeable future without overpaying for a decent goalie.
I understand your frustration with the Goalie work but what NHL team is going to fork over a decent goalie

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think the important thing to remember is we have to hang on to the "core" that won cups in 2012 and 2014 until they decide to retire.

Never worry about details. None of those ever matter.

and what choice do the Kings have?

Define decent goalie. After you do that, find the one that's available, even for an overpay. But again, I'm sure details don't matter. Just get this guy. Just get rid of that guy. That's all that matters.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

Define decent goalie. After you do that, find the one that's available, even for an overpay. But again, I'm sure details don't matter. Just get this guy. Just get rid of that guy. That's all that matters.
Just press the 'X' button....easy.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I
I disagree completely.

Not that he played great, that Carlson goal was bad, but if you can't see that he's playing measurably better than Cal you're not being objective.

Cal has two wins. And by what measurement is Quick playing better? Slightly closer losses? One sucks, the other blows. Big deal.

Quick is getting by purely on reputation among Kings fans. If Mr. New Hire came in and played exactly like this with the same results, the whip store would be out of stock.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
We could've had Ilya Samsonov who currently has a .938% and 1.73 GAA.

Too bad LAK hates Russians.

How could they have gotten him? I know, trade the 37 year old goalie? Or, send the other $5m goalie to Ontario?

Actually, I don't accept excuses when the path taken was clearly the wrong path.

I know, we've been over it 1000 times. Details don't matter.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
How could they have gotten him? I know, trade the 37 year old goalie? Or, send the other $5m goalie to Ontario?

I know, we've been over it 1000 times. Details don't matter.
You realize people get traded right? Goalies that were recently traded. Matt Murray, Kakkonen, Georgiev, Fleury, Mrazek, Husso, Talbot, Vanecek, and Blackwood was available for a while and Gibson was rumored to be available.
Why do you go to such great lengths to defend management even when you know you are lying? I hope you get paid for your time as crusader of the Blake regime on here.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You realize people get traded right? Goalies that were recently traded. Matt Murray, Kakkonen, Georgiev, Fleury, Mrazek, Husso, Talbot, Vanecek, and Blackwood was available for a while and Gibson was rumored to be available.
Why do you go to such great lengths to defend management even when you know you are lying? I hope you get paid for your time as crusader of the Blake regime on here.

And each one of those trades has a context to it. Again, I know details don't matter, but a team wanting to trade a guy, a team wanting to take a guy, age, contract, etc, it all plays a role.

Take Fleury. He was traded by a team with cap issues, and had 1 year left on his old ass contract. The Kings have not had cap issues, and before this season, Quick did not have 1 year left on his contract. So the context of those two players is different.

How many teams truly want a goalie in his mid to late 30's? Doesn't matter, trade him.

If we see that Petersen sucks, why wouldn't other teams see that he sucks? Doesn't matter, trade him.

I don't go to any great lengths to defend the Kings. I just see what the salary cap has done to trades. 20 years ago, Detroit will take Quick as their backup. They'll bring in a 3rd goalie if they have to, what woyld they care? Today, that's not the reality.

I'm not saying no trades can be made. Burns was traded at like 50 with 3 years left. They got nothing for him, and they had to retain 34% for 3 years, but at least the Sharks got rid of him. Probably doesn't hurt that Burns is still chasing something, with no opportunity left in SJ to get it, leading to him being willing to leave his comfy SJ life, while the Kings guys aren't doing that since they already won, but little things like that don't matter. Just trade this or that guy. Nothing else matters except trade him.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Just trade this or that guy. Nothing else matters except trade him.
And all these conclusions have been made......after 7 games.

I'm sure we could look back at the posts from a year ago and see all the same clowns screaming for trades and firing of this coach or that coach after the 1-5-1 record.

FYI, Marco Sturm called, wanted to express kudos for the fantastic PP.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Just how much do you get paid by the Kings? It’s perplexing how you have your head so deep into the sand that you don’t realize how bad the goaltending situation is.

Because what’s bolded is exactly what they need to do if they want to be competitive this season because they’re not going ANYWHERE if the goalies aren’t making NHL saves.

I am on Team Copely
I’m not against trying him out at all. It legit can’t get any worse so you might as well.

Kings should overpay if it comes to it. No questions asked. You would be absolutely delusional to think that they can ride it out. Get a decent NHL goalie and over pay if you have to. There’s no other way.

It’s not even “oh it’s only seven games, petersen will bounce back” Petersen doesn’t have a decent level to bounce back to. He was garbage last season and he’s continued now. And Quicks old. Get a f***ing goalie. Anyone who thinks otherwise here is a confirmed dumpster baby.

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
Yeah, the goaltending could definitely be better, but, with the exception of a few names, most guys aren't playing that well. I don't know the last time this team looked so disjointed. I feel more comfortable with Quick in net, but Petersen needs to get most of the starts to find his game. If it costs them a playoff spot, then so be it. At least we'll know what we have by the end of the season...

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad