GDT: 2022-23 season game 65 LA Kings vs Washington Capitals @7:30pm 3/6/23

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
No but what is the difference with making the playoffs and lose in the 1st round and just miss the playoffs.

That’s why I said the WCF.
IMO, a lot.

Lots of good teams get dusted in the first round due to the current division configurations.

• Love
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
If Gavrikov walks this was indeed a bad trade, unless we make it to the WCF, than it was worth it.

If not, than it will remind me of the Andrej Sekera trade. Did we have fun with him.
It’s a risky trade but most successful teams have a risky move or two needed to get that success. It’s certainly going to be a defining trade. I have zero issue with moving Quick, all the objections are fundamentally sentimental, however the moving of the 1st rounder is the one we will justifiably debate.

If Gavrikov re-signs it’s a great trade based on his early performances. I agree that we need to make the WCF and in fairness that’s a reasonable target.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Than we both have differents needs.
Getting to the WCF would seriously move the development needle for the younger guys, that’s the biggest gain with a deep run. That’s one of the reasons I want Spence, Clarke, Björnfot involved to some degree because it’ll really help them develop. Once Clarke’s season finishes it’d be no surprise to see him get games… the other 2 are more of a long shot at this point.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
With the big trade, if this team doesn't make it out of the 1st round, then the season is a failure. Two big trades using 1st round picks adding an elite scorer, top 4 LHD and starting Goalie -- while having MUCH better health this season. You need to improve off last season. Otherwise, you are better off being in asset/prospects acquisition mode (versus the other way around).

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Pretty much this, I think both guys got shoved so hard into shutdown/cover roles that they didn't have the opportunity to use their puck skills as much. So now that both/either guy can do that it's nice--but I guess also I didn't expect instant and awesome chemistry, it looks like they've been together years. Practically no feeling-out process.
well I did

EDIT: I'm feeling snarky and this seemed like the least harmful way to scratch the itch today

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Once Clarke’s season finishes it’d be no surprise to see him get games…
Id be a little surprised if he gets NHL games due to Blake probably wanting to slide his ELC another year... but maybe he'll let him play - could depend on injuries. Would be fun as hell to see the kid do his thing.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
If Gavrikov walks the trade is trade. I would say the light at the end of the tunnel would be re signing Korpisalo but the Kings have been tied to Demko. So….

Demko makes a big chunk, they would have to clear space AND spend a bunch of assets. I don't think he's a big step above Koprisalo, so it would be more efficient just to retain him.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
With the big trade, if this team doesn't make it out of the 1st round, then the season is a failure. Two big trades using 1st round picks adding an elite scorer, top 4 LHD and starting Goalie -- while having MUCH better health this season. You need to improve off last season. Otherwise, you are better off being in asset/prospects acquisition mode (versus the other way around).
Agreed, but I will also add

This trade 104.6% HAD to be made

Our goaltending outside of Copely has been bush league and when a career minor leaguer is 20-4. Our D has been pourous and really missed any physical presence from a D-man with size.

Management really needed to pull the trigger on a trade like this and really see what the team can do.

Last edited:

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Here's JAD and Kupari when paired together, JAD on LW:

JAD-Kupari-Vilardi 76.9 xGoals%
JAD-Kupari-Kaliyev 55.7 xGoals%
JAD-Kupari-Grundstrom 52.6 xGoals%

And they're both winning face-offs.

A decision to play Macewen over JAD, is an active decision to make the team worse.

JAD's game was really starting to come together too.
Too bad the Kings still won despite an “active” decision by the coaching staff to make the team worse, eh? Wonder what else they can do derail this winning. Sheesh get with program already TM.

totally agreed....He is exactly what we need.
Imagine incompetent Blake knowing that.

• Haha

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Since I either missed the explanation by the ref at the game or they didn't give one, can someone explain why the delayed call was reversed in the third? I'm assuming the high stick was just missed by them and that's why that wasn't enforced but I'm pretty sure there was already a delayed call when the phantom high stick happened.

They missed it, and they can't review a play to call a minor, has to be a major (or a double I'm pretty sure).

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
They missed it, and they can't review a play to call a minor, has to be a major (or a double I'm pretty sure).
Probably wouldn’t have made a difference. If they had seen it they likely would have washed out two penalties - one for QB and one for the SAG nominee.

But wasn't there a delayed call before the phantom high stick? I was pretty whiskey'd up last night but I could've swore seeing Kemper leave for a delayed call (which I wasn't sure what for) followed by the phantom high stick where the play was whistled down. Why wasn't the first penalty called and what was it for? Or was I so drunk that it was only the phantom high stick? Sorry for the back and forth but just trying to reconcile what I missed.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Probably why he acted like he was shot to make them think "Oh, let's review if this is a major", they review it, then decide "Well, it's not a major, but we reviewed it and we realized we missed a call. So we're just going to randomly call a penalty on something we missed."

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
But wasn't there a delayed call before the phantom high stick? I was pretty whiskey'd up last night but I could've swore seeing Kemper leave for a delayed call (which I wasn't sure what for) followed by the phantom high stick where the play was whistled down. Why wasn't the first penalty called and what was it for? Or was I so drunk that it was only the phantom high stick? Sorry for the back and forth but just trying to reconcile what I missed.
The Caps pulled the goalie for an extra skater since there were only about 2 minutes left in the game. There wasn't a delayed penalty.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Id be a little surprised if he gets NHL games due to Blake probably wanting to slide his ELC another year... but maybe he'll let him play - could depend on injuries. Would be fun as hell to see the kid do his thing.
Genuine question. Do play-off games count towards the ELC sliding (the 9 games) given that the play-offs are technically unpaid games for players.

Good point though, that I hadn’t considered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad