GDT: 2022-23 season game 46 LA Kings vs New Jersey Devils @7:30pm 1/14/23

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I do think we've been overachieving a bit, I don't think anyone thought we'd push for the division or conference this year. I figured we'd be somewhere between 4 and 10 in the West, and by points percentage we're currently 6th.

Shockingly, Seattle is 1st in the Western Conference in points percentage. I definitely didn't see that coming. Calgary and Edmonton are both five points back with two and one games in hand, respectively.

Unfortunately, Quick just isn't an NHL-caliber goaltender anymore. If he thinks he can play after this season, I don't think it needs to be with LA unless he wants to play in Ontario. I'm not sure how we resolve this situation but it continues to cost us games. If we'd won three of Quick's and Petersen's 12 regulation losses, we'd be first in the West.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I do think we've been overachieving a bit, I don't think anyone thought we'd push for the division or conference this year. I figured we'd be somewhere between 4 and 10 in the West, and by points percentage we're currently 6th.

Shockingly, Seattle is 1st in the Western Conference in points percentage. I definitely didn't see that coming. Calgary and Edmonton are both five points back with two and one games in hand, respectively.

Unfortunately, Quick just isn't an NHL-caliber goaltender anymore. If he thinks he can play after this season, I don't think it needs to be with LA unless he wants to play in Ontario. I'm not sure how we resolve this situation but it continues to cost us games. If we'd won three of Quick's and Petersen's 12 regulation losses, we'd be first in the West.
re-signing quick would be silly imo

be professional and let him ride this out but he's dying on his shield, i think he knows what's up

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
My opinion on the goalie situation:

You can't play the same goalie every single game, your back-up is going to have to start sometimes.
The Kings are lucky as hell Copley has played as well as he has.
Unless Quick retires, there is not much the Kings can do this season. (Quick is not going to be traded or sent down, its just not happening)
When Copley regresses towards the mean, things are going to get worse, and it should be expected

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
My opinion on the goalie situation:

You can't play the same goalie every single game, your back-up is going to have to start sometimes.
The Kings are lucky as hell Copley has played as well as he has.
Unless Quick retires, there is not much the Kings can do this season. (Quick is not going to be traded or sent down, its just not happening)
When Copley regresses towards the mean, things are going to get worse, and it should be expected
I agree with your premise but you’re definitely wrong about the Kings being lucky. The Kings goalies had played horribly. They were in fact extremely unlucky to have such terrible goalies. One average one shows up and plays decently. That changed the Kings a lot. The Quick you saw today was outperforming petersen. Let that sink in. Two awful goaltenders. Of course any OK goalie is going to look lightyears better than them. There’s zero luck in this. In fact the Kings are unlucky as f*** that their hopes rests on the shoulders of some nobody that happens to be playing decently. They’re making the best
Out of a bad situation. That’s not luck.

• Wow
Reactions: Faterson

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Best case scenario at this point is that Cal gets a look and looks solid after getting his confidence back. They then would have to be brave enough to scratch Quick, because he‘d never being sent down.

IF that happens we’d end up carrying 3 goalies.

Reactions: kinghock

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
1 was soft, one was straight up 2nd line not making a simple stick to stick pass after they tied it, including Roy turning it over right inside the blueline and they scored. Quick kept it from being 8-2 in the 3rd with the 5 straight turnovers that lead to quality shots. He'd loved to have one or two back I sure, but the Kings played another bad game in front of him, period. SOFT AS F agaist NJ tonight!
you have no clue what youre talking about

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Every single goal against was a bad goal against on Quick's part.

First was terrible rebound control with his stick. If you're a goalie and you get a chance to get your stick fully in front of it, you have to steer it into the corner.

Second goal was shot at him yet went through him.

Third was an unscreened weak shot from the boards that again went through him as he was sliding away from that side for god knows what reason. The timing of it right after the Kings tied the game made it even worse. Completely deflating at that point in the game.

Fourth was a weak shot from the point that again went through Quick's right side and only went into the top corner because it hit the top of his leg pad.

He was unconscionably bad.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Every single goal against was a bad goal against on Quick's part.

First was terrible rebound control with his stick. If you're a goalie and you get a chance to get your stick fully in front of it, you have to steer it into the corner.

Second goal was shot at him yet went through him.

Third was an unscreened weak shot from the boards that again went through him as he was sliding away from that side for god knows what reason. The timing of it right after the Kings tied the game made it even worse. Completely deflating at that point in the game.

Fourth was a weak shot from the point that again went through Quick's right side and only went into the top corner because it hit the top of his leg pad.

He was unconscionably bad.
Don’t forget the goal that probably went in but there wasn’t a good look at it.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Quicks last 3 starts
ARZ-2-1 SO loss
PHI-4-2 LOSS
NJ-5-2 LOSS

------------------
5 goal for
11 against .

Top 5 my ass!

Copely last 3 starts

SJ-4-3
EDM-6-3
LVG-5-1

15 for
7 against

See a pattern?
lol 3 games as your sample. i'm done with your dumb ass.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Also dont forget the final straw for Cal was losing a game Quick had already given up 5 goals in.
Cal was bad but had to take the heat for both of them.
Sentence shouldve ended at Cal was bad. I get your point but Cal never came through once fo the team... His stink was so strong as to have permeated the entire team.. JQ stink is mitigated by his status as team legend who was expected to decline. Cal and his 15m contract demand he doing something to help the team and he never has.

Reactions: Schmooley

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The argument about goaltenders is.....interesting at best.

When Quick is in, the team plays relaxed, and it shows....he has shown that he likes a ton of shots, likes the work, AND can make the saves etc (except when he can't, but a team will never go into a game with a veteran like that, believing he won't)

When Copley is in, the team plays tighter, limits chances, etc, therefore he "plays" better.....

I haven't looked it up per game, but I am willing to bet dollars to donuts the stats will break down right around those marks.....Quick is playing team allows more shots, blocks less, more slot shots etc, than when Copely is playing.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
The argument about goaltenders is.....interesting at best.

When Quick is in, the team plays relaxed, and it shows....he has shown that he likes a ton of shots, likes the work, AND can make the saves etc (except when he can't, but a team will never go into a game with a veteran like that, believing he won't)

When Copley is in, the team plays tighter, limits chances, etc, therefore he "plays" better.....

I haven't looked it up per game, but I am willing to bet dollars to donuts the stats will break down right around those marks.....Quick is playing team allows more shots, blocks less, more slot shots etc, than when Copely is playing.
Would be interested to seeing those stats because I’ve never believed that ideology of a team playing any different due to what goaltender is in net.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Would be interested to seeing those stats because I’ve never believed that ideology of a team playing any different due to what goaltender is in net.

If I have time, but it's 100% true, not only goaltenders, but players, hell we saw it last year when Doughty was out......everyone had to step up....when he came back, everyone relaxed a bit, because, Drew can do it.....etc.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
If I have time, but it's 100% true, not only goaltenders, but players, hell we saw it last year when Doughty was out......everyone had to step up....when he came back, everyone relaxed a bit, because, Drew can do it.....etc.
yeah, but Quick has been mostly trash all year .. would these guys still be playing a more relaxed style with that in mind?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad