GDT: 2022-23 season game 46 LA Kings vs New Jersey Devils @7:30pm 1/14/23

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
So next game Lemieux out and Grundstrom in? Edler out and Bjornfot brought up?Lizotte? Kupari?There has to be some moves around the corner right? Seattle Kraken are now tied with the Kings with 4 games in hand

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Well they've played hard and have been generating chances. Can't blame the players for Quicks soft goals.

1 was soft, one was straight up 2nd line not making a simple stick to stick pass after they tied it, including Roy turning it over right inside the blueline and they scored. Quick kept it from being 8-2 in the 3rd with the 5 straight turnovers that lead to quality shots. He'd loved to have one or two back I sure, but the Kings played another bad game in front of him, period. SOFT AS F agaist NJ tonight!

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I get the myriad of possible reason to start Quick tonight but the earliest I would have put him in is against Chicago in the up coming b2b. New Jersey is a measuring stick game. Would have preferred Copley all things considered. Kings are only five points in a spot with more games played. Next road trip will be huge.

1 was soft, one was straight up 2nd line not making a simple stick to stick pass after they tied it, including Roy turning it over right inside the blueline and they scored. Quick kept it from being 8-2 in the 3rd with the 5 straight turnovers that lead to quality shots. He'd loved to have one or two back I sure, but the Kings played another bad game in front of him, period. SOFT AS F agaist NJ tonight!
Wasn’t all on him. But he just couldn’t make the timely needed save.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
He had a 9.99 CF% Rel, a 11.76 FF% Rel, a 19.89 xGF% Rel and wasn't on ice for 5 on 5 goal against. He was one of our best skaters possession wise all night(like he is damn near ever f***ing game)

I counted 5 turnovers in our own zone in the 3rd by him alone. 3 lead to scoring chance , then there was his passing...awful all night. the only time it was effect was on the pp, making simple passes or in the last 2:34 making useless passes to no one without getting a shot on goal.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Say what? Try 3 soft goals and 1 bad rebound by Quick.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I get the myriad of possible reason to start Quick tonight but the earliest I would have put him in is against Chicago in the up coming b2b. New Jersey is a measuring stick game. Would have preferred Copley all things considered. Kings are only five points in a spot with more games played. Next road trip will be huge.

This was a very winnable game, too bad the Kings didn't want it or tried to played better. NJ played last night, the Kings had 3 days between games. Even with Copley in net, not sure they're winning it , especially with the lack of 5 on 5 effort to score.

Reactions: LAKings88

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I believe these things happen every game. As LAkings88 mentioned it wasn’t all on him. But he just couldn’t make the timely needed saves.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Say what? Try 3 soft goals and 1 bad rebound by Quick.

no way goal 4 was soft. that puck changed direct bounce twice, then off walker skate and in. PP goal he made the save he needed, puck went off a nj player right onto his stick before anyone could clear it. the other two, while saveable were direct results of our on self inflected mistakes. goal 2, edlars bad pinches, 2 on 1, goal 3, the entire 2nd line played stupid with the puck, turned it over and over and over, and its in.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

totally agree, but his team in front didn't help him at all. As i pointed out the kings have scored 5 goals in his last 3 starts. 10 in Copleys last 2 .

Reactions: 21Dog and LAKings88

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
What do you do with Quick? It's basically a scheduled loss. They obviously won't waive him or send him down but you can't really afford to play him either

Reactions: kinghock

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008

Probably should've got the San Jose game instead of giving Copley a night off against a team this good. Needed a game this week or you're talking 3+ weeks without getting in which is setting a backup up for failure, no matter who it is at this stage of hockey.

At this stage, I wonder how much Cal's failures last year set up Quick's downturn (along with natural regression with his age and wear and tear). Never should have been a starter last year, plays a ton down the stretch and I think we're seeing the effects now. Love the guy but you can't play him right now. Let him gracefully end the season as G3 and either give Cal a game or two soon to see if he can backup, or find a cheap backup.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
no way goal 4 was soft. that puck changed direct bounce twice, then off walker skate and in. PP goal he made the save he needed, puck went off a nj player right onto his stick before anyone could clear it. the other two, while saveable were direct results of our on self inflected mistakes. goal 2, edlars bad pinches, 2 on 1, goal 3, the entire 2nd line played stupid with the puck, turned it over and over and over, and its in.
With all due respect this is what we mean by timely needed saves. The breakaway and the softie were two Quickie would probably want back. Turnovers and mistakes happen every game even if we win but lately Copely has been making the saves he needed. The kings threw 37 shots on Blackwood and he pretty much made the saveable saves and well Quick let in a few he should have had.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
In my opinion I’ve never seen a coach so comfortable taking an L just to give Quick the start. This was probably the most bizarre game I’ve ever seen in the sense that Todd had no intention of pulling Quick regardless of how bad he looked. Zero interest in taking any points.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
What do you do with Quick? It's basically a scheduled loss. They obviously won't waive him or send him down but you can't really afford to play him either
Well if you believe the team can make a run this year (something I highly doubted up until last few week) my thinking is you carry 3 goalies (with some goalie getting scratched each nite obviously). If you can get a serviceable rental - or even someone you'd like to keep - then do it at the deadline as long as the price is reasonable.. the problem is cap space which there is very little.. so you probably have to pick up more of a scrub level - but thats still better than the other options. People talking about Varlamov - but that implies a lot of salary going the other way - I dont think Blake wants to part with any of the forwards.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
In my opinion I’ve never seen a coach so comfortable taking an L just to give Quick the start. This was probably the most bizarre game I’ve ever seen in the sense that Todd had no intention of pulling Quick regardless of how bad he looked. Zero interest in taking any points.
Assuming Copley is fine - then its idiotic. Esp since thats a team you want to measure yourself against.

Reactions: Sol

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Not sure why AI decided to abandon his post and give the guy a great shot. He just went for a skate to the middle of the ice. Quick should've had this one for sure, but man wtf was AI thinking. He had nowhere to shoot if he'd just stayed there.

king-nj.jpg

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Well if you believe the team can make a run this year (something I highly doubted up until last few week) my thinking is you carry 3 goalies (with some goalie getting scratched each nite obviously). If you can get a serviceable rental - or even someone you'd like to keep - then do it at the deadline as long as the price is reasonable.. the problem is cap space which there is very little.. so you probably have to pick up more of a scrub level - but thats still better than the other options. People talking about Varlamov - but that implies a lot of salary going the other way - I dont think Blake wants to part with any of the forwards.
Yeah that was my thinking. How strict is the NHL with IR stints? Lol I wouldn't exactly call the Kings serious contenders but they could certainly win a round or two with better goaltending.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Yeah that was my thinking. How strict is the NHL with IR stints? Lol I wouldn't exactly call the Kings serious contenders but they could certainly win a round or two with better goaltending.
Ya - we are in the black hole area... the more I think about it, the more I'd stand pat this year unless something great is offered. Its tantalizing when you see the team go 10-2-1.. but we have Copley who's cinderella right now, and d-corps that is hardly contender worthy. On the other hand, there are so many prospects with expiring ELC and signed guys who dont have a future past this year like JAD, Grund, Lemiuex, Walker.. if Blake can make something happen that clears all that up and brings back a goalie and LD.. then id be all on board with that... but if he thinks he can do better in the off-season Id wait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad