GDT: 2022-23 season game 28 LA Kings vs Ottawa Senators @4:00pm 12/6/22

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
probably in between.
I am a big Kaliyev fan but not sure if he has the defensive acumen yet. Hope the line is sheltered a bit.
Kempe has zero defensive acumen so I’m sure it’s no problem. I don’t know why Kaliyevs defensive ability comes up so much when we’ve seen Kempe float all season. The lines look good overall I just think it’s weird to put the biggest floater at center after he hasn’t played center for a while and is just constantly dogging it game after game

LeftKinger

Oct 20, 2022
I actually like giving Kempe more responsibility and giving us more speed down the middle. I think he needs that added responsibility to keep him engaged. I think he can gain entry or get the puck in deep and allow Iafallo to establish the forecheck. Gabe can do his thing down low.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Kempe has zero defensive acumen so I’m sure it’s no problem. I don’t know why Kaliyevs defensive ability comes up so much when we’ve seen Kempe float all season. The lines look good overall I just think it’s weird to put the biggest floater at center after he hasn’t played center for a while and is just constantly dogging it game after game
Didn't meant to sound like I was dumping too hard on Kaliyev. He is just young and I think it will come, just not there yet.
I also did not mean to compare him to Kempe. The frustration for me with Kempe this year is not so much defensively it is that he does not seem to be using his speed at both ends of the ice. He has such a motor but I do not see him use it enough.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Didn't meant to sound like I was dumping too hard on Kaliyev. He is just young and I think it will come, just not there yet.
I also did not mean to compare him to Kempe. The frustration for me with Kempe this year is not so much defensively it is that he does not seem to be using his speed at both ends of the ice. He has such a motor but I do not see him use it enough.
He doesn’t use it at all this year. That’s why I’m saying if Kempe gets away with being completely disengaged floater on both sides then I’d rather have Kaliyev score on one end and lack on another all the while Kempe is getting no repercussions lacking on both sides

Reactions: BringTheReign

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
After say 5 minutes and the experiment fails Iaffalo will be right up on the first line. LOL. I want to see the Byfield, Iaffalo, and Vilardi line again this season and see if they can click again.
I mean, I wouldn't mind Kaliyev with Kempe and Vilardi either if Iafallo does ascend to Kopitar's security blanket status once again. :laugh:

Reactions: ru4reals

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kaliyev and Kopitar are both slow, so that's a bit of a concern. I also think Arthur has relatively poor endurance.

But that pairing could work. Arthur has a more well rounded offensive skill set than he gets credit for.

Reactions: YP44

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
For the Senators, that DeBrincat trade doesn't look to good right now IMO.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Kaliyev and Kopitar are both slow, so that's a bit of a concern. I also think Arthur has relatively poor endurance.

But that pairing could work. Arthur has a more well rounded offensive skill set than he gets credit for.
Arty is a better fit for Kopitars game than Kempe could ever hope to be.

Poor endurance? That’s hogwash.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
What evidence do you have for such a claim, outside of the obvious “he slow” type of observations.
I've watched him play.

Arty is hard on pucks, makes smart plays, and takes short & effective shifts. There is no evidence to suggest his conditioning is suspect.
I agree for the most part, although people will exaggerate his effectiveness because he's a young player and we want him to succeed which leads to a bias. Still, what you've stated here, even if true, doesn't have much to do with endurance.

I like him too.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
What evidence do you have for such a claim, outside of the obvious “he slow” type of observations.

Arty is hard on pucks, makes smart plays, and takes short & effective shifts. There is no evidence to suggest his conditioning is suspect.
His problem is that he looses Puck battles that lead directly to the opposition immediately leaving the zone. Other players create a contest even after loosing possession but for arty atm once the battle is lost he's out of position and there's an easy exit for their D.

Gabe had the same issue last year, they'd just seem to enter a battle right as the Puck was coming out straight to where they were. He's just young and will learn, he's improving.

When we have possession artys a wizard, he has great vision so is a good fit for kopi with the Puck, I just don't think he's strong enough on a cycle the kopi likes to play.

• Love
Reactions: Surf Nutz

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

On the bolded I agree, he does more than shoot however because his shot is at another level everything else doesn't get credit.

Kempe was always miscast as a center. Don’t like him going back there at all.
As a 3C I may like it more. It is interesting to me that he is the one there and not Vilardi

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Over the past few years, Kempe's best attribute has become his shot. He needs to be put into position to use it.

I don't know why, but it seems like you rarely see him utilize his speed any more.

Reactions: YP44

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
I think moving Kempe to center might be a spark for him, he's been way too comfortable.

Back in olden times (i.e., under Stevens), didn't Kempe have his most pronounced productive offensive stretch centering the then-second line - or, is that just a false memory? I'll concede that even if that's accurate, it's setting aside the defensive effort; but, it's probably worth the shot for a game or two given the current state of the team...

Reactions: DoktorJeep

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Zach Dooley with this projected lineup...... if TMac goes back to this D lineup and they look every bit as horrible as they have in previous games this season- Yikes. If it goes into OT and he rolls out 8-9-11.....Yikes.

And sure....Fagemo as a healthy scratch after being one of the goal scorers last game. If this is the case....TMac just a bad coach.

Fiala - Kopitar - Kaliyev
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
Iafallo - Kempe - Vilardi
Anderson-Dolan - Lizotte - Grundstrom

Anderson - Doughty
Durzi - Roy
Edler - Walker

Copley Quick

Just confirmed the above is accurate.....hope Kings can get a win but this lineup a baffling decision. Correct me if Im wrong- but wasnt this the same D pairings as ill fated Seattle game?

Last edited:

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Over the past few years, Kempe's best attribute has become his shot. He needs to be put into position to use it.

I don't know why, but it seems like you rarely see him utilize his speed any more.
Spacing has been off all year with that line. Iafallo and Kopitar are a terrific pair together. Kempe was allowed to play off of them and use his speed because the puck was always being supported. Vilardi didn't quite offer that, and Fiala was out even further than Kempe.

Adrian isn't all that solid a player, he just found a real confidence in letting them rip last year. Those same opportunities aren't presenting themselves this season.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Pretty cool and pretty strange

Kings need a sage ceremony. Get all this Todd energy off the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: