GDT: 2022-23 Season Finale game 82 LA Kings vs Anaheim Ducks @7:00pm 4/13/23

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
The Kings will lose because of lack of toughness, Lizotte as the 3c, and the pair of Durzi-Walker.

When the Oilers look at the Kings what will make them nervous?

When they look at the Wild, they will see a bunch of 20 goal scores, big and tough D, and Reaves and Foligno.

When all else fails....CTRL + V. Change the team name and instant post.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
If they lose it will probably be because they can't score enough goals.

Kings have 1 goal in their last 6 periods against Edmonton.

Exactly. Recent history indicates we can at least partially contain the Oilers offense. It's our own offense that let us down.

If Todd has the whole team sitting back in some passive 1-3-1, we are doomed. They tried to do that for the past two games and came up with nothing.

The Kings need to be willing to be more aggressive even at the risk of trading chances. Yes, it's Mcdavid, etc. etc., but that's how the Kings have generated offense all season.

If the Kings can maintain their tempo, and exploit those 3rd line matchups against an 80% Fiala and Vilardi, we have a chance.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Exactly. Recent history indicates we can at least partially contain the Oilers offense. It's our own offense that let us down.

If Todd has the whole team sitting back in some passive 1-3-1, we are doomed. They tried to do that for the past two games and came up with nothing.

The Kings need to be willing to be more aggressive even at the risk of trading chances. Yes, it's Mcdavid, etc. etc., but that's how the Kings have generated offense all season.

If the Kings can maintain their tempo, and exploit those 3rd line matchups against an 80% Fiala and Vilardi, we have a chance.
todd ain't gonna change his stripes now, if anything he's gonna double down. i expect a very stale, frustrating series

kupari and the danault line trending up offensively might help swing it a bit if they continue playing well

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

I thought the Oilers gave us a taste of our own medicine last game.

I was there. They clogged up the neutral zone all night. Zone entries were extremely difficult for both teams.

In that type of game, the Oilers obviously have a couple world class forwards who can break through the defensive stalemate and notch an occasional goal and/or capitalize on special teams. The kings don’t have that (at least not to the same degree).

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Yeah, that's what worries me. Todd just isn't up to task.
He has never shown any ability to deviate from the gameplan when needed. His schemes are fine, well drilled and great on paper - he has just never demonstrated an aptitide for the pulse of the game. If something needs to be altered, well, its down with the ship after the first cannon shot.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

I was there. They clogged up the neutral zone all night. Zone entries extremely difficult for both teams.

In that type of game, the Oilers obviously have a couple world class forwards who can break through the defensive stalemate and notch an occasional goal and/or capitalize on special teams. The kings don’t have that (at least not to the same degree).
If Kupari had any finishing ability it might have turned out differently. But alas...

If the Kings try to nullify and hope to get a bounce or two, it will be over quickly. Their best shot is at coming out hard and fast to take control - but history shows us that they are more than willing to let the first 5 minutes be a wash.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I remember the Kings blowing some big games down the stretch in 2012 to take themselves out of favorable seeding and matching them up against the dreaded Presidents winner Canucks who had recently kicked their asses in the playoffs and NOBODY wanted to play.

It's likely that Edmonton steamrolls through the Kings and most other teams if they keep playing defense the way they are but hopefully the Kings have a few tricks up their sleeves.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Players do hit to hurt as seen by Carrick last night. That was a clear example of "I'm going to do something to somebody because they touched Zegras". The intent isn't always to hurt but to say a huge open ice hit is merely to separate the man from the puck is ignorance.

When I've got a guy I work with that doesn't really watch hockey say to me this morning "I watched the last five minutes of that Ducks game" and go on to say how the Kings were getting bullied, it should be pretty damn clear to everyone on this board that watches every game that this is a huge problem.

For those that haven't bought in to this being a problem, I hope that the last few weeks have been illuminating for you. I posted prior to the game in Edmonton that I hoped they would pass the test based on how they played Edmonton the first two games this season but they went on to being bullied in basically every game since then except for the two snooze fests in Seattle/Vancouver.

The answer isn't an enforcer: it's a f***ing mindset that real contending teams have and this team simply hasn't had it for nearly a decade now.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
frick i hope the ducks do not get Bedard, i also do not want Chicago to get him....so go Columbus?

Ducks adding a top 3 in this draft is scary enough though
we've got a long ways to go still. I am pulling for you guys big time against Edmonton, and not because you won last night. Kings have rebuilt the right way and have a ton a good players.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
we've got a long ways to go still. I am pulling for you guys big time against Edmonton, and not because you won last night. Kings have rebuilt the right way and have a ton a good players.
I wouldn't claim to be the expert on what the lowest point in Ducks history is but I've felt it is hard to top losing Game 7 to the Kings, at home and in Teemu's last game. I was there for it and actually started feeling bad for Ducks fans a bit which says a lot because I was a much bigger asshole then than I am now.

So while I know the Kings chants at Honda Center are nothing new, I was watching the game last night and thought to myself "Loudest chants ever? 13 game losing streak to close out another horrible season? Kings fans rubbing it in?...this is the lowest point in Ducks history which means they are getting Bedard and its nowhere but up from here".

I think you are getting him. Save for a fever dream of a three year stretch, it would be classic Kings to have their fans kick a rival while they are down bad, proceed to get blitzed by McDavid in the first round after trading two 1st round picks and a top prospect for the pleasure and then watch the Ducks get Bedard.

I'm fully prepared.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
todd ain't gonna change his stripes now, if anything he's gonna double down. i expect a very stale, frustrating series
Vegas Odds on this Scenario -400

Hoping to be wrong but would not be shocked to the series lost with Durzi losing his man, who happens be McDavid and scoring in the final minutes of the game.

I think you are getting him. Save for a fever dream of a three year stretch, it would be classic Kings to have their fans kick a rival while they are down bad, proceed to get blitzed by McDavid in the first round after trading two 1st round picks and a top prospect for the pleasure and then watch the Ducks get Bedard.

I'm fully prepared.

What other way could it possibly go?

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I wouldn't claim to be the expert on what the lowest point in Ducks history is but I've felt it is hard to top losing Game 7 to the Kings, at home and in Teemu's last game. I was there for it and actually started feeling bad for Ducks fans a bit which says a lot because I was a much bigger asshole then than I am now.

So while I know the Kings chants at Honda Center are nothing new, I was watching the game last night and thought to myself "Loudest chants ever? 13 game losing streak to close out another horrible season? Kings fans rubbing it in?...this is the lowest point in Ducks history which means they are getting Bedard and its nowhere but up from here".

I'm fully prepared.

Well, wrt the bolded, i hope the 1st thing doesn't happen and the 2nd thing does :)

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

I was there. They clogged up the neutral zone all night. Zone entries were extremely difficult for both teams.

Yep. Which is exactly why Todd can’t just match trap for trap against the Oilers. They have bunker busters. We don’t.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Yep. Which is exactly why Todd can’t just match trap for trap against the Oilers. They have bunker busters. We don’t.
The Oilers bunker buster, McDavid, tends to rack more penalties than points when he has to face the Doughty/Anderson pairing.

Over the last two seasons, McDavid has 3 goals and 1 assist when the Kings dress Doughty and Anderson, including the goal McDavid scored after knocking Anderson out of the game. He has a boarding major on Kempe, 10 minute misconduct, unsportsmanlike, cross check, high stick, and another boarding on Anderson in the five games. The Kings are 3-2 in these games.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
The Oilers bunker buster, McDavid, tends to rack more penalties than points when he has to face the Doughty/Anderson pairing.

Over the last two seasons, McDavid has 3 goals and 1 assist when the Kings dress Doughty and Anderson, including the goal McDavid scored after knocking Anderson out of the game. He has a boarding major on Kempe, 10 minute misconduct, unsportsmanlike, cross check, high stick, and another boarding on Anderson in the five games. The Kings are 3-2 in these games.
that's why the depth is so important, danault and kopitar have proven they can basically neutralize mcdavid and draisaitl and vice versa 5v5, but those depth guys need to score to keep this team afloat

that, and stay outta the f***in box for christ's sake. nurse is gonna be a loose cannon first round guaranteed so you need to draw them, not trade them

Reactions: Kudelski37

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
ITT I learned that people can't distinguish between hitting to hurt and hitting to injure.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I don't know if opening things up is a viable alternative though.

If the Kings had a 3rd line center, they could try and roll the lines and play a more energetic game. But we don't. And the Oilers added Bjugstad at the deadline. There not as top heavy as they used to be.

I just don't see any strategy where LA has an advantage.

You have to hope we win the goaltending matchup, and the bounces go are way. We need our PP to get hot to match the Oilers.

Kings winning the series isn't impossible, but it's pretty damn unlikely IMO.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I don't know if opening things up is a viable alternative though.

If the Kings had a 3rd line center, they could try and roll the lines and play a more energetic game. But we don't. And the Oilers added Bjugstad at the deadline. There not as top heavy as they used to be.

I just don't see any strategy where LA has an advantage.

You have to hope we win the goaltending matchup, and the bounces go are way. We need our PP to get hot to match the Oilers.

Kings winning the series isn't impossible, but it's pretty damn unlikely IMO.

I don't think opening things up is a great strategy, either. I just think we've already seen the trap fail, so Todd needs to be willing to look at other options.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Good points.

There are some signs of hope.

Also, I believe in 3 of the 4 matchups this year, the Kings prevented the Oilers from scoring a PP goal.

Problem is the Oilers are better right now than they were earlier in the season when LA beat them. I also think they've changed up their strategy when playing LA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad