Speculation: 2022-23 Roster Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
why would Helleson not play...he looked just fine, it's the last game of the year. there's no good reason unless he got hurt or something
Agreed… smart team would bench Cam and get him on a cardio regiment (dude needs to play at 200 not 215). Anyone remotely hurt should sit and let our prospects on a game that we have no reason to want to win. Mind as well have Herbert or Hayward play a game in goal and be the oldest goalie to play.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
why would Helleson not play...he looked just fine, it's the last game of the year. there's no good reason unless he got hurt or something

Helly's been playing sheltered minutes in the past two games, averaging 13 minutes. Lacombe played 18:24 in his first game, third most among D-men. Eakins probably wants a more seasoned D in White back in against the Kings. Also, White's signed next season and maybe a preview if he can play with LaCombe?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Helly's been playing sheltered minutes in the past two games, averaging 13 minutes. Lacombe played 18:24 in his first game, third most among D-men. Eakins probably wants a more seasoned D in White back in against the Kings. Also, White's signed next season and maybe a preview if he can play with LaCombe?
i mean, i go back to my original statement, it's the last game of the season in a meaningless game. not letting the rookie get to play that so colton white can play would be absolutely stupid.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
i mean, i go back to my original statement, it's the last game of the season in a meaningless game. not letting the rookie get to play that so colton white can play would be absolutely stupid.

This isn't my opinion, but my guess as to why Eakins is contemplating sitting out Helleson.

I think it's more of sheltering the kid in this rivalry game. While the game is meaningless for us fans, it can be brutal on the players, especially one we've been sheltering. We may need more minutes played than the 13 minutes of Helly being sheltered. There might not be room/time for sheltering in this game.

We're supposed to set the kids up to succeed, not fail.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Agreed… smart team would bench Cam and get him on a cardio regiment (dude needs to play at 200 not 215). Anyone remotely hurt should sit and let our prospects on a game that we have no reason to want to win. Mind as well have Herbert or Hayward play a game in goal and be the oldest goalie to play.

Due to this being the internet and the lack of sarcastic emoji usage, I'm having trouble determining whether you serious regarding the guy who just set the NHL record for ice time in a game, needing a cardio regiment.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Due to this being the internet and the lack of sarcastic emoji usage, I'm having trouble determining whether you serious regarding the guy who just set the NHL record for ice time in a game, needing a cardio regiment.

I think using Herbert or Hazy as our goalie kinda sets the tone of it being very sarcastic.

• Haha
Reactions: cheesymc

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not sure the coaching decision to hold out Helleson, but after a couple of games, don’t see him staying in the AHL too much longer. Yeah it’s a small sample size but still. Really like to see him in the season finale.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Not sure the coaching decision to hold out Helleson, but after a couple of games, don’t see him staying in the AHL too much longer. Yeah it’s a small sample size but still. Really like to see him in the season finale.

I wonder if Harrington is healthy enough to go, then that would put Helleson on the outside looking in.

Reactions: Leonardo87
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I'm confused. Why? He's already in Anaheim...
Just after last nights comments that Eakins apparently wasn't sure about Helly playing, I got scared he's sent down but yes, I've no idea what that message says, ha
From his transaction page, it looks like he was loaned on an emergency basis to ANA on 4/9, and then placed on the NHL roster (as opposed, I assume, to being returned to SD) once the emergency loan ended on 4/12.

What that means for tonight or whether it has something to do with Eakins's uncertainty, I don't know. But it seems like it could.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
From his transaction page, it looks like he was loaned on an emergency basis to ANA on 4/9, and then placed on the NHL roster (as opposed, I assume, to being returned to SD) once the emergency loan ended on 4/12.

What that means for tonight or whether it has something to do with Eakins's uncertainty, I don't know. But it seems like it could.
Aha, yes, that makes sense now. Thank you for helping me to clear that up. It would make sense that they'll do this if he will play but what do I know.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I have no idea if this helps, but it seems to indicate that an emergency recall can be made if the Ducks fall below six healthy defensemen. When Harrington went down, the Ducks were down to five and Helleson could be brought up on an emergency basis. With LaCombe being signed, the Ducks were back to six healthy defensemen, and thus Helleson would need to be sent back to San Diego. Now he has been promoted, so he can stay in Anaheim for the rest of the season, all one game of it.

13.12 Transfers To/From Minors.

(m) Emergency Recall.

(i) A Player on Loan to a club of any league affiliated with the League may be Recalled from such Loan under emergency conditions at any time for the duration of the emergency only following which he must be returned promptly to the club from which he was Recalled.

(ii) Emergency conditions shall be established when the playing strength of the Loaning Club, by reason of incapacitating injury or illness or by League suspension to its Players is reduced below the level of two (2) goalkeepers, six (6) defensemen and twelve (12) forwards. Proof of the existence of the emergency conditions including the incapacity shall be furnished to the Commissioner of the League upon request made by him.

(iii) For the purpose of establishing the existence of emergency conditions at any time, to support the Recall of a Player for participation in any Playoff Game, it shall be deemed that the Player(s) on Loan following 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the last day of the Regular Season are continuing on Loan for the remainder of the season notwithstanding that the Loaned club(s) may have been eliminated from further play for the season.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I have no idea if this helps, but it seems to indicate that an emergency recall can be made if the Ducks fall below six healthy defensemen. When Harrington went down, the Ducks were down to five and Helleson could be brought up on an emergency basis. With LaCombe being signed, the Ducks were back to six healthy defensemen, and thus Helleson would need to be sent back to San Diego. Now he has been promoted, so he can stay in Anaheim for the rest of the season, all one game of it.

13.12 Transfers To/From Minors.

(m) Emergency Recall.

(i) A Player on Loan to a club of any league affiliated with the League may be Recalled from such Loan under emergency conditions at any time for the duration of the emergency only following which he must be returned promptly to the club from which he was Recalled.

(ii) Emergency conditions shall be established when the playing strength of the Loaning Club, by reason of incapacitating injury or illness or by League suspension to its Players is reduced below the level of two (2) goalkeepers, six (6) defensemen and twelve (12) forwards. Proof of the existence of the emergency conditions including the incapacity shall be furnished to the Commissioner of the League upon request made by him.

(iii) For the purpose of establishing the existence of emergency conditions at any time, to support the Recall of a Player for participation in any Playoff Game, it shall be deemed that the Player(s) on Loan following 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the last day of the Regular Season are continuing on Loan for the remainder of the season notwithstanding that the Loaned club(s) may have been eliminated from further play for the season.

It really is quite a minefield, especially for the teams right up against the cap. But that does seem to provide clarity on the Helleson front. Gotta have both those young D in the lineup for this final game.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It really is quite a minefield, especially for the teams right up against the cap. But that does seem to provide clarity on the Helleson front. Gotta have both those young D in the lineup for this final game.
Seems like the decision was whether to send him down or keep him since Harrington was healthy, and they chose to keep him. That seems to bode pretty well for his chances of playing? But maybe they're just keeping him because SD doesn't play for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad