Prospect Info: 2022-23 Prospect Development Tracker

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Pouliout , Rosburg , Petrovic and eventually Bayreuther + AHL vet Karow and there's undrafted FA Ben Zloty and then there Kyriou , White and Grushnikov .

None of those guys are worldbeaters but Stars made plans for Bichsel to play in Sweden if he can't beat out those guys this year

It has nothing to do with this. I think Bichsel just has zero desire to play AHL and the Stars don't really need him there either.

Also, Bichsel isn't the type of player that would have to adjust his game to the smaller ice. If anything, it suits him. And he's got unfinished business in Sweden after missing that much time with injury. I thought he might opt to play one last season in Switzerland but I'm totally cool with him adding another one in Sweden. Good decision I think.

Reactions: Dallasman and LT

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
It has nothing to do with this. I think Bichsel just has zero desire to play AHL and the Stars don't really need him there either.

Also, Bichsel isn't the type of player that would have to adjust his game to the smaller ice. If anything, it suits him. And he's got unfinished business in Sweden after missing that much time with injury. I thought he might opt to play one last season in Switzerland but I'm totally cool with him adding another one in Sweden. Good decision I think.
Bichsel will play in Traverse and then in the NHL/AHL camp, and Dallas will decide from there what is best for him.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Bichsel will play in Traverse and then in the NHL/AHL camp, and Dallas will decide from there what is best for him.
...which is gonna be Rögle BK because the player doesn't want to play AHL and won't make a loaded Dallas Stars defense coming off an injury. Also, he wouldn't fly to Sweden to practice with Rögle if he wouldn't want to play there. I think it's pretty clear the loan is already in place and is gonna get signed/announced once Bichsel gets cut.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
...which is gonna be Rögle BK because the player doesn't want to play AHL and won't make a loaded Dallas Stars defense coming off an injury. Also, he wouldn't fly to Sweden to practice with Rögle if he wouldn't want to play there. I think it's pretty clear the loan is already in place and is gonna get signed/announced once Bichsel gets cut.
Are you his agent

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Has this been reported somewhere?
And LMAO "loaded" defense.... yeah right, not unless you're talking loaded diaper
Why so negative? Five established NHLers, including a super star. I also like Hanley and this is the year Harley has to make the transition and become a full time NHLer. Still rather high on him. If there are no injuries there's no room for Bichsel. That's besides the fact that Bichsel probably isn't ready. Next year Stars will have two UFA's and RFA's each on defense. That's when Bichsel is gonna come in handy. Perfect timing. Give the player one more year in Sweden and he'll be back in time when you need him.

And yeah. As I said. Reported all across Swedish media over the last weeks. Here's one example:

...as I said...don't expect an official announcement from the clubs until after camp or whenever Bichsel gets cut but Bichsel is in Sweden practicing with Rögle und expected to return there after camp.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Are you his agent
I wish. But he's in good hands with Frédéric Holdener I think. Holdener isn't after immediate profit which is good to see. He could have made way more money in Switzerland compared to Sweden. I also think he was absolutely right to go head to head with the SIHF. It cost Bichsel a tournament but it was an important statement. Players health is paramount. Recovery is important.

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Why wouldn't he want to play in the AHL? He's going to have to eventually I'd imagine.

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Why would he want to play AHL? And why would he have to play AHL?
Because it's the Dallas Stars farm team and a vast majority of players go through the AHL before making the jump to the NHL? The AHL is going to be closer to NHL competition than the SHL for him to get experience in North America (both culturally and ice size). He's gonna have a hell of a time going from Sweden straight to the NHL, especially as a defenseman

Reactions: Dallasman

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Because it's the Dallas Stars farm team and a vast majority of players go through the AHL before making the jump to the NHL? The AHL is going to be closer to NHL competition than the SHL for him to get experience in North America (both culturally and ice size). He's gonna have a hell of a time going from Sweden straight to the NHL, especially as a defenseman

European top prospects often skip the AHL especially if they stay in Europe longer than expected.
Also, as explained, smaller ice is gonna suit Bichsel. He's a great skater for his size but mobility and acceleration will remain his biggest weaknesses. Playing SHL is a much bigger challenge than AHL for Bichsel. Bichsel excels when there's less room.

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
European top prospects often skip the AHL especially if they stay in Europe longer than expected.
Also, as explained, smaller ice is gonna suit Bichsel. He's a great skater for his size but mobility and acceleration will remain his biggest weaknesses. Playing SHL is a much bigger challenge than AHL for Bichsel. Bichsel excels when there's less room.
Maybe some forwards make the jump from SHL to NHL but it's pretty rare for defensemen (and usually on bottom feeder teams). Whether or not the smaller ice may suit his playstyle or not, he's still going to have to get used to playing on it. Timing, gaps, angles, etc are all things he's gonna have to get used to on a small ice surface. I'm not saying he can't or won't be able to eventually make the NHL, but I have serious doubts about him making that leap without AHL time. Especially knowing our GM likes to let players stay in the A for as long as possible, I just find it unlikely.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Big defensemen can take a long to fully adjust and mature their games. I have no problem with Bichsel playing another year or even two in Europe, then a year in the AHL, and then I trust that he'll be ready to get a shot in the NHL. But it may be another 3+ years before that becomes realistic.

If he forces his way up onto the roster before that? Awesome. Don't know if I see that happening.

The timeline for non-bluechip prospects is almost always longer than we expect. And that gets even longer for Dmen and goalies.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Big defensemen can take a long to fully adjust and mature their games. I have no problem with Bichsel playing another year or even two in Europe, then a year in the AHL, and then I trust that he'll be ready to get a shot in the NHL. But it may be another 3+ years before that becomes realistic.

If he forces his way up onto the roster before that? Awesome. Don't know if I see that happening.

The timeline for non-bluechip prospects is almost always longer than we expect. And that gets even longer for Dmen and goalies.

We'll see. I think the plan is for Bichsel to be NHL ready next year when there will be open spots. If he's got a good, injury free season then I think he'll be ready. Even if not, I think Bichsel is unlikely to stay in NA to play AHL. If he does end up playing AHL it may be him joining the team once his season with Rögle ends or him getting sent down from the NHL team for conditioning. Even Nils Lundqvist only played few AHL games. 30 something I believe. Don't see Bichsel playing any more than that. If that's what he wanted then he'd be there already.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
If all of this is true, what is the rationale behind leaving Leksand just for a different SHL team? The article skips right past that.

Reactions: LT

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If all of this is true, what is the rationale behind leaving Leksand just for a different SHL team? The article skips right past that.

I don't know myself. But about a month ago it was said that the player would probably return to Sweden, just not to Leksands. Rögle was already listed as the front runner which seems to be confirmed now.

Could be the player or his camp and something they didn't like. Could be that Leksands doesn't want to "just" loan the player. Could also be the Dallas Stars that want him to play elsewhere or that the two teams just couldn't agree to a deal.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
I don't know myself. But about a month ago it was said that the player would probably return to Sweden, just not to Leksands. Rögle was already listed as the front runner which seems to be confirmed now.

Could be the player or his camp and something they didn't like. Could be that Leksands doesn't want to "just" loan the player. Could also be the Dallas Stars that want him to play elsewhere or that the two teams just couldn't agree to a deal.
@piqued

Leksand wanted him but Dallas and/or Bichsel prefered Rögle.

Source: Bichsel kan rata Leksand

According to this article (Talangen tränar med Rögle: "En otrolig hockeyspelare") it's either Rögle or Dallas. AHL probably isn't an option if I understand correctly.

It's hard to know as Bichsel, Dallas and Rögle are all tight lipped.

Last edited:

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
@piqued

Leksand wanted him but Dallas and/or Bichsel prefered Rögle.

Source: Bichsel kan rata Leksand

According to this article (Talangen tränar med Rögle: "En otrolig hockeyspelare") it's either Rögle or Dallas. AHL probably isn't an option if I understand correctly.

It's hard to know as Bichsel, Dallas and Rögle are all tight lipped.
Interesting. This is a change of plan from what Jim Nill was saying a month ago. If only Dallas had one beat reporter to clarify the situation.

• Haha
Reactions: redbeardtx

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Interesting. This is a change of plan from what Jim Nill was saying a month ago. If only Dallas had one beat reporter to clarify the situation.

Did he really? Or was it the usual fake news by the Athletic? In Sweden the media reported Rögle as a potential destination weeks ago.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Did he really? Or was it the usual fake news by the Athletic? In Sweden the media reported Rögle as a potential destination weeks ago.
I remember him mentioning the AHL as being an option a few times. But the one I could quickly find is his free agent interview where he states that Bichsel is going home and then coming back for the NHL/AHL camp.

He comments on it in the last 30 seconds of the video:

In my opinion, as long as he gets better ice time in Rögle than he did in Leksands (I know his ice time slowly went up throughout the year), I think it might be the best situation this year. It also potentially saves another D prospect from having to play in the echl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad