GDT: 2022-23 NHL Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Sure, Ovie was a lucky/obvious pick, but he also made a solid handful of other picks that directly lead to the Cup. Backie, Kuzy, Holtby, Wilson, Carlson, even Beagle, Burky and Stephenson all contributed highly and none of them were obvious/lucky picks, they were very good draft picks/adds at their respective slots.

I have no problem giving GMGM his props for what he left us with, and GMBM for what he did to tinker/augment it into a magical Cup.

As for Vegas, they are dead to me so while I give Georgie his props, I do consider that entire roster 100% luck :D

I don't mind GMGM so much however the way the league wanted success for Las Vegas is what gets me, especially all the pundits in 2018 wanting Vegas to win. I'm happy for the players because they aren't involved in the business decision making and guys like Stone finally got a cup after years of hard work. I feel bad for teams like Winnipeg, Arizona, and Florida who have suffered mightily in the cup race. I mean is there really any hardcore Vegas fans? Most of them probably chose Vegas as an alternative. Yeah Vegas is dead to me also and this league is almost there. I'll say it's luck with a mix of guys like Stone that really wanted it. Furthermore, Jack Eichel can tell the HF main boards to kiss it after all the criticism he took.

I’m surprised to read that. I loved me some Laich.

I think of Brouwer as a dude who ran around making useless hits, but Laich was an all around workhouse who could play anywhere in the lineup. He was a less skilled Oshie

Pronger and Chara a few years earlier. GMGM wasted the peak of the GOAT goal scorer.

Indeed.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Probably a lot. He was the 2nd highest center and fourth highest forward for average ice time. Still awful so the complaint stands.

I feel like such an outcast when those times are brought up, Laich was Brouwer before Brouwer too me. Couldn't stand him, felt he was such an over-rated player.
Laich did everything right and too much was asked of him. That's a little different from Brouwer, who skated around and did some goals sometimes and made some pointless hits way late and mostly just existed.
Remember when we could have had Pronger during a crucial run and we passed, however with Vegas system had no problems get Pietrangelo.
Vegas started fresh, zero bad cap hits or complications and a full roster of draft picks. Pronger would cost Carlson++ and was way out of the league by the time the current core was established with Oshie and co.

Is that even better or do they have to mini-rebuild because they have no 1D through the 2010's?

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Laich did everything right and too much was asked of him. That's a little different from Brouwer, who skated around and did some goals sometimes and made some pointless hits way late and mostly just existed.

Vegas started fresh, zero bad cap hits or complications and a full roster of draft picks. Pronger would cost Carlson++ and was way out of the league by the time the current core was established with Oshie and co.

Is that even better or do they have to mini-rebuild because they have no 1D through the 2010's?

I remember full well and we eventually ended up with 2018. I remember GMGM at the time stating they wanted one of the goalies and probably Alzner. It's all hindsight now. I really don't care after 2018. It's just hockey entertainment at this point and hoping Caps do again someday.

Reactions: Calicaps

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I remember full well and we eventually ended up with 2018. I remember GMGM at the time stating they wanted one of the goalies and probably Alzner. It's all hindsight now. I really don't care after 2018. It's just hockey entertainment at this point and hoping Caps do again someday.
I don’t remember it that way. It was Carlson + Varlamov/Neuvirth+ pick, and not a low one

Reactions: Drakon

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
1686848729028.png

Reactions: Marshall
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad