Line Combos: 2022/23 Lineup Projections

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don’t get the age issue. His game is perfectly suited to not declining in his early 30s. This isn’t a scoring forward who peaks in their mid 20s.

You're right, but they have Thomson, JBD & IMO they could draft another RD early in the 1st rd in this upcoming draft or late in the 1st rd if they decide to move up or early 2nd if a RD falls. Both JBD & Thomson are fairly close to making the NHL now & in 3 yrs will certainly be NHL ready or traded away.

The same would apply to the RD they draft in this upcoming 2022 draft IMO. Maybe in 3 yrs time Zub is still playing well, but one would have to asume that by that time he may also lose a step while these other RD are 5 yrs younger & entering their prime. The decision on him would probably be made in his last yr anyway when they can determine if their other RD are actually ready or not.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
While we have all thought we need a top 9 RW, I'm beginning to wonder if a top 9 LW might not be better. Going into next year we could have:

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
XXXX - Stu - Brown
Formenton - Pinto - White

In this scenario we move on from Paul and upgrade through trade or UFA (Giroux). If we do target Giroux, his best position at this point is LW.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
While we have all thought we need a top 9 RW, I'm beginning to wonder if a top 9 LW might not be better. Going into next year we could have:

XXXX - Stu - Brown

In this scenario we move on from Paul and upgrade through trade or UFA (Giroux). If we do target Giroux, his best position at this point is LW.

We need a top 6 winger; however, I prefer younger energetic players over older declining vets.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
We need a top 6 winger; however, I prefer younger energetic players over older declining vets.
I’d be all for that but they are much tougher to find. I’m hoping we have the left side covered in a couple years with Tkachuk, Formenton and Greig.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
For me the biggest question and problem PD needs to address is Zub,if we are signing him we need to start immediately...Not wait until the last possible moment,I favor resigning him to a decent length deal as a solid top RHD is almost impossible to find

Zub, to me, is priority number 1 this off-season. Not close. We absolutely need Zub.

Zub needs to be signed, but pretty sure he can’t be signed until he’s in his final year.

I've been saying the same thing for awhile. That is a big variable: re-sign versus Zub moves on. We better be talking to his camp even though he can't put ink on that contract until July 1.

And if it takes a 4 or 5 year contract, then do it. There's usually a strong demand for decent defenders if there's a reason to move him later with another year or two still left on his contract.

I wouldn't project Kuzmenko in the lineup either given the Russian/Ukraine war.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
For me the biggest question and problem PD needs to address is Zub,if we are signing him we need to start immediately...Not wait until the last possible moment,I favor resigning him to a decent length deal as a solid top RHD is almost impossible to find

Zub, to me, is priority number 1 this off-season. Not close. We absolutely need Zub.

Zub needs to be signed, but pretty sure he can’t be signed until he’s in his final year.

delete - double post.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Stutzle-Brown
Paul-Pinto-White
Kelly-Kastelic-Watson

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Holden
Brannstrom-Zaitsev

Murray
Gustavsson
Probably. The year after next look to add crookshank, Sokolov, jarventie, Greig. Most likely to come out then, would be Watson, white, brown, Kelly. ??

jbd/Thomson should replace zaitsev next yr if that can be figured out. Good chance brannstrom is moved as well so maybe both those guys come in.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Stutzle-Stone
Paul-Pinto-Brown
Kelly-White-Watson

oops

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
When this team is healthy the eye test absolutely shows progress over last year. Not even debatable and anyone who would suggest otherwise is stuck in a negativity loop or just trying to stir the pot.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stuzle Giroux Brown
Formenton Pinto White
Crookshank Gaudette Watson
Sokolov

Chabot-UFA
Sanderson-Zub
Brannstrom-Holden
Zaitsev/Thomson

Murray
Gustavsson

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Formenton Stutzle xxxx
Paul Pinto Brown
Kelly Kastelic Watson

Chabot Zub
xxxxx Holden
Sanderson JBD/Thomson

Top 6 candidates if we were a real NHL franchise: Giroux, Filip Forsberg
Top 6 candidates because we broke: Rakell, Kubalik, Kuzmenko, Zacha, Kapanen, Copp

Top 4 candidates if we were a real NHL franchise: Chiarot, Chychrun
Top 4 candidates because we broke: Giordano

Reactions: DrEasy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Formenton Stutzle xxxx
Paul Pinto Brown
Kelly Kastelic Watson

Chabot Zub
xxxxx Holden
Sanderson JBD/Thomson

Top 6 candidates if we were a real NHL franchise: Giroux, Filip Forsberg
Top 6 candidates because we broke: Rakell, Kubalik, Kuzmenko, Zacha, Kapanen, Copp

Top 4 candidates if we were a real NHL franchise: Chiarot, Chychrun
Top 4 candidates because we broke: Giordano

Chychrun is forcing a trade out of Phoenix … what makes you think he wants to come here ?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Fiala - Stutzle - Kuzmenko
Formenton - Pinto - Brown
Ritchie - Gaudette - Watson
Kelly

Chabot - JBD/Thomson/Vet
Sanderson - Zub
Brannstrom - Holden
JBD/Thomson/Vet

Murray
GusBus

Kind of a mix of a what I want to see/some realistic moves.

Fire Del Zotto into the sun.
Trade the UFA's (Paul/Sanford/Forsberg/ect) at the deadline
Trade Zaitsev+ for Nick Ritchie (shorter deal, no SB's)
Trade for Fiala at the draft (1st? Sokolov/Jarventie + 2nd +?)
Sign Kuzmenko. Promise him whatever he wants.
Buy out Colin White probably. Can slot in at 4C, but it saves money for Fiala/Zub extensions.

Still some holes and some question marks, but the top-nine would be dynamite.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Young group , on the way up, and family ties

The family ties are Jeff? Is he local? hockeydb says he's from La Salle, but does have one season of him playing for the Nepean Raiders.

Interesting connection though, I didn't assume there were family ties for a kid born in Boca Raton.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

XXXX - Stu - Brown

They just gotta go BPA here doesnt matter the forward position. Make no mistake this team needs a forward. D men take too long to develop for where the team is at right for when they are poised to compete.

Fiala - Stutzle - Kuzmenko
Formenton - Pinto - Brown
Ritchie - Gaudette - Watson
Kelly

Chabot - JBD/Thomson/Vet
Sanderson - Zub
Brannstrom - Holden
JBD/Thomson/Vet

Murray
GusBus

Kind of a mix of a what I want to see/some realistic moves.

Fire Del Zotto into the sun.
Trade the UFA's (Paul/Sanford/Forsberg/ect) at the deadline
Trade Zaitsev+ for Nick Ritchie (shorter deal, no SB's)
Trade for Fiala at the draft (1st? Sokolov/Jarventie + 2nd +?)
Sign Kuzmenko. Promise him whatever he wants.
Buy out Colin White probably. Can slot in at 4C, but it saves money for Fiala/Zub extensions.

Still some holes and some question marks, but the top-nine would be dynamite.
This just isnt realistic for this ownership group and this teams budget moving forward. The team will lose one of its good young players to pay Fiala. Why waste assets for that. Buying out Colin White again makes absolutely no sense, nor will it happen with this owner. He wont spend over the cap to make a slight improvement on a player that is not only beloved in the room that is still actually pretty good and barely overpaid. I could see a potential scenario where White + something cost controlled is traded for Fiala this summer that actually makes sense for both teams. White is so much better than people make him out to be he is far from an untradeable asset that warrants buying out.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
They just gotta go BPA here doesnt matter the forward position. Make no mistake this team needs a forward. D men take too long to develop for where the team is at right for when they are poised to compete.

This just isnt realistic for this ownership group and this teams budget moving forward. The team will lose one of its good young players to pay Fiala. Why waste assets for that. Buying out Colin White again makes absolutely no sense, nor will it happen with this owner. He wont spend over the cap to make a slight improvement on a player that is not only beloved in the room that is still actually pretty good and barely overpaid. I could see a potential scenario where White + something cost controlled is traded for Fiala this summer that actually makes sense for both teams. White is so much better than people make him out to be he is far from an untradeable asset that warrants buying out.

White for Fiala ? Dreaaaammm on.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The family ties are Jeff? Is he local? hockeydb says he's from La Salle, but does have one season of him playing for the Nepean Raiders.

Interesting connection though, I didn't assume there were family ties for a kid born in Boca Raton.

Yes, grew up in Nepean, in the Borden Farm area, In fact he, Jamie Baker and Jeff Brown all were in the same neighborhood and grew up together

Reactions: stempniaksen

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

XXXX - Stu - Brown

There are a couple of good LWers available in the draft as well, Slafkovsky & Cutter Gauthier.

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

I don't think Colin White at $4.75 would be palatable for a team with $13+ million in dead cap over the next 3 seasons. Wild might be the absolute worst fit for this type of move.

I like White, I think he's better than what he's shown and better than the concensus is on these boards. I think he could absolutely go find a fresh start elsewhere and be the player we (I?) thought he could. All that being said, I think there's an argument the team would rather "eat" 875k x 6 than play this dude on the 4th line. A more realistic scenario is probably him getting another shot higher in the lineup at the expense of going out and getting a Fiala-type but I'm not convinced that's the best course of action anymore.

And is the implication here that Fiala is only a slight upgrade over White? I mean, it's certainly possible if White rebounds, but Fiala has 63 goals in his last 169 games. That kind of goal scoring prowess would make him one of the better options on the entire team let alone better than someone who has been (let's be honest here) supremely disappointing over that same stretch (46 points in 112 games).

Reactions: Sweatred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad