Rumor: 2022-2023 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Let’s Run it Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Yeah there's really not much in the trade market in terms of good 2Cs at the moment.

It's partly why I think if you see a Girard trade it could end up being a futures deal instead. Something where you get a top tier prospect + 1st round pick, and another asset.

I think there's possibly more Centers available for futures heavy packages rather then a straight up hockey trade of sorts. Obviously we know JT Miller is one guy available, but I also think guys like Nick Schmaltz, Yanni Gourde, Dylan Larkin, and possibly PLD or Scheifele... Those sort of options are more likely to be available in a futures deal IMO.

If you could trade Girard to LA for example at the draft for say LA 2022 1st + Walker + Kupari.... And then turn around and flip Kupari + the LA 1st to Seattle for Gourde, I think that would be a solid route to go.

But as I said earlier, I think the Avs will wait one more year before making that tough decision on Defense.

Lehkonen - Gourde - Nichuskin, good luck scoring against that line...

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Need to figure out how to get Necas, Newhook+? Then do Sanheim for Girard+Kadri's rights?

Gabe Nate Nuke
Lehks Necas mikko

Toews Makar
Byram Johnson
Sanheim Manson

Reactions: Brett44

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Necas is as much of a center at this point as Newhook is. Promising player who could be a buy low play but not sure he is the tonic for the second line for a team with designs on repeating as champs.

I’m not on the “let’s ditch Newhook because he wasn’t important in the playoffs” bandwagon. I think he had a pretty solid rookie year. He’s got things to work on but he’s still an important and cheap asset moving forward. I agree that he has not shown yet he can be a 2C on a contender but I do think with some natural development he can slot in for Bura this upcoming season and then we will see where things go from there. If he doesn’t show improvement his sophomore season I’ll start to be worried but not sure why people are so ready to declare him a disappointment after his rookie season.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Meh, it would give us one hell of a chance to go b2b next year, at that point who cares about 2023.

But.... We would still have EJs 6M coming off the books in 23'. Depending on what Mack signs for, the EJ money should cover all of his raise, and then still a little bit left over.

At that point you also simply have to make a decision with the Defense and move on from one of the 3 LDs.

Newhook could wind up being trade bait for further upgrades on the roster next deadline as well IMO, so then you dont have to worry about him getting 3-4M if not more summer 23'

If Kadri signed for $6M and Paul for $4M, they could have enough space. Depending on what Nuke, and Lehky get as well as what our 1G looks like.

Kadri's not likely signing for $6M. He's 31, has one more big contract left to sign in the NHL, and he just came off a career year. Someone is going to offer quite a bit more than that, and I bet he takes it.

Damn near every contending team in the league has a weakness at some position on the ice. I think the Avs have to decide what that position is going to be for them. If they decide it's center, then sign Nichushkin, Lehkonen, and a goalie, and move forward with a weakness at center.

If they decide it's wing as the weakness, then let Nichushkin go, and try to resign Kadri with that money (or some other 2C with that money), and fill in the 2nd/3rd line wings with a couple of older veteran FAs on 1 year contracts.

I'm having difficulty envisioning a scenario in which they sign both Kadri and Nichushkin.

Reactions: Bender

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Need to figure out how to get Necas, Newhook+? Then do Sanheim for Girard+Kadri's rights?

Gabe Nate Nuke
Lehks Necas mikko

Toews Makar
Byram Johnson
Sanheim Manson
Sanheim would be a good fit stylistically but he's a pending UFA so a swap for Girard doesn't really make sense unless Sanheim extends at a reasonable caphit.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
- Sign Kadri and Nuke
- Keep Helm or Cogs if they sign cheap
- The rest walk (Burky, Kuemper, Manson)
- Trade Compher and Girard for hopefully Gibson

That's arguably a better team than this year.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah there's really not much in the trade market in terms of good 2Cs at the moment.

It's partly why I think if you see a Girard trade it could end up being a futures deal instead. Something where you get a top tier prospect + 1st round pick, and another asset.

I think there's possibly more Centers available for futures heavy packages rather then a straight up hockey trade of sorts. Obviously we know JT Miller is one guy available, but I also think guys like Nick Schmaltz, Yanni Gourde, Dylan Larkin, and possibly PLD or Scheifele... Those sort of options are more likely to be available in a futures deal IMO.

If you could trade Girard to LA for example at the draft for say LA 2022 1st + Walker + Kupari.... And then turn around and flip Kupari + the LA 1st to Seattle for Gourde, I think that would be a solid route to go.

But as I said earlier, I think the Avs will wait one more year before making that tough decision on Defense.
I would love Yanni Gourde. Nice contract, solid player.

Then go out and sign Palat & Rutta as a f*** you to Tampa.

Reactions: LurkerMcgee

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Kadri's not likely signing for $6M. He's 31, has one more big contract left to sign in the NHL, and he just came off a career year. Someone is going to offer quite a bit more than that, and I bet he takes it.

Damn near every contending team in the league has a weakness at some position on the ice. I think the Avs have to decide what that position is going to be for them. If they decide it's center, then sign Nichushkin, Lehkonen, and a goalie, and move forward with a weakness at center.

If they decide it's wing as the weakness, then let Nichushkin go, and try to resign Kadri with that money (or some other 2C with that money), and fill in the 2nd/3rd line wings with a couple of older veteran FAs on 1 year contracts.

I'm having difficulty envisioning a scenario in which they sign both Kadri and Nichushkin.

He can definitely get more, but I don't think he gets substantially more honestly.

Maybe I'm assuming GMs are smarter then they are, but he is 31 years old as you say, and before this year had never been more then a 30G/60 point player. Scoring is clearly waaaaay up right now so GMs are gonna take the career years this year with a Garin of salt I think.

All that said he's still a solid 2C and now a proven cup winner which should silence any concerns about him being a liability in the playoffs.

I think some teams might go up to $7M for him, but I'd be shocked if they go any higher then that. And tbh I think if the Avs come in at ~6-6.5M I think Kadri will consider staying. Not saying he will for sure stay, but a 5x6.5M deal for example is still a lot of money and he gets to continue chasing cups with this team until he retires.

geofff

Aug 12, 2014
www.makeitsostudios.com
There's almost no way we can afford to re-sign Kadri. If we can't figure out the 2C in the offseason, we could just use Mikko there next year. I thought he was at his best in this playoffs when Kadri was out and MIkko was playing 2C anyway. Then if we still think we need to, we can trade for a UFA 2C at the deadline.

Even without any external additions, and with Kadri and Burakovsky walking, we can have this as a top-6:
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Nichuskin
Lehkonen-Rantanen-Newhook

Reactions: MacKaRant and ljb4

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Those were special circumstances. Barrie had a much bigger rep around the league at that time than Sammy does now, and Toronto happened to have an extra 2C laying around they apparently didn't need anymore. I don't see a team anywhere in the league that has that scenario at present.
Meaning not everyone GM dumb as Dubus

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Meaning not everyone is dumb as Dubus

I'll have to check out the newest podcast from Kypreos and Bourne. Kyper absolutely destroys the Leafs for that trade in the clip I listened to earlier today.

Time will tell, but it's clear now that the Leafs ultimately deciding that Nazem Kadri wasn't good enough to be a 2C on a contending team was a huge, huge mistake.

Seattle will ask for Newhook for Gourde. Would you do it?

Oh yes, absolutely I would do that.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Meaning not everyone GM dumb as Dubus
But also many GMs dumber than Dubus

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
I think the only way we move G is if Manson leaves or we decide we can't afford him.

Byram - Makar
Toews - Girard / Manson

That is about as good as it gets either way and neither G nor Manson should be playing 3rd pair minutes making big money.

Reactions: Bender

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Yes absolutely.
Gourde IS pretty perfect for this team.

Scoring 48 points on that Kraken team was actually pretty impressive, I have no doubt he’d be back in the 60-65 point range on the Avs. Special teams demon. Great skater. Postionally versatile. Experienced but not too long in the tooth. Not super cheap but very solid cost-controlled contract for 3 years. Playofff beast. He wouldn’t be a 1-for-1 offensive replacement for Kadri but IMO offers a lot of that feisty skill for less cost.

I’m not sure there a better realistic option out there to plug the 2C hole for the next few years. Gotta think the Kraken would listen for an asset like Newhook.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Seattle will ask for Newhook for Gourde. Would you do it?

An elite defensive two-way LHS center at a decent caphit ($5.1m X3) would be perfect for this team. I think the easy answer is yes...

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Nichuskin
Lehkonen - Gourde - Rantanen

That top 6 would be a really tough matchup for any team in the playoffs.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
FTR Ronnie Franchise is a worse GM than I gave him credit for if he takes Newhook for Gourde. It would take something more than that I believe.

Now, Sammy for Gourde? That's more feasible. I don't think I'd do that, but it's feasible.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
FTR Ronnie Franchise is a worse GM than I gave him credit for if he takes Newhook for Gourde. It would take something more than that I believe.

Now, Sammy for Gourde? That's more feasible. I don't think I'd do that, but it's feasible.

Girard for Gourde + Soucy?

Toews - Makar
Byram - EJ
Soucy - Manson/ufa

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
After hearing various comments about how MacKinnon takes advice from Sid and knowing how much he looks up to him, I'm starting to wonder if he takes a lot less than people think on his next deal.

Reactions: LurkerMcgee

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
One benefit of going this deep in the playoffs is that we’re two weeks away from a bunch of action. Non stop hockey.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad