Prospect Info: 2022-2023 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 06.04.2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
easy to write this stuff,
but even guys who never/barely play at NHL level
can have satisfying, fruitful and financially worthwhile careers

without doing the math re prorating his time on NYR rosters,
Tim Gettinger has earned ~$600,000 (signing bonuses and AHL salary)

marginal guys who go to europe make nice salaries with great perks (housing, cars, ...) and see the world

maybe they're not meeting your standards, but still meeting their own

THIS x 10000

Reactions: gravey9 and bhamill

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
easy to write this stuff,
but even guys who never/barely play at NHL level
can have satisfying, fruitful and financially worthwhile careers

without doing the math re prorating his time on NYR rosters,
Tim Gettinger has earned ~$600,000 (signing bonuses and AHL salary)

marginal guys who go to europe make nice salaries with great perks (housing, cars, ...) and see the world

maybe they're not meeting your standards, but still meeting their own
Yeah CapFriendly has Getts at about $726K in career earnings in his five pro seasons. It's a decent living considering he's getting paid to play hockey. As you said, he could go to Europe and make more and have an awesome experience. And then with the connections to make, if you play it right you set yourself up for a potentially lucrative career after you retire, whether in coaching, scouting, FO work, media, etc. Those guys are doing good for themselves.

Reactions: cwede

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I would say Kjellberg and Ciccolini have done okay all things considering. Whether they're worthy of the Rangers signing them is another topic. Kjellberg seems to be a pretty good two way college defenseman. RPI sitting out a year because of covid probably didn't help him. Now he's with Northern Michigan U. which is a better program.

These days late round picks like Ciccolini choose Michigan U. at their peril. Even 1st rounders (in the case of John Beecher) don't always get prime ice time with that team which regularly pulls in 5,6,7 of the best college recruits year after year. Maybe not so much for next year but considering they have Fantilli and Brindley in their draft years I don't know if it matters much. Ciccolini also had several injuries. I don't think he's really ever had a fair chance to show much for that team though.

Being recruited these days by programs such as Michigan U., Boston College or Boston U., Minnesota U. and maybe a couple/three other college programs is kind of in a way a testament in itself that the player has skills.
I didn't really see any standout skills in Kjellberg. Granted he exceeded the expectations I had for him after watching him in the USHL, but to me there's no really anything there to suggest he's an actual prospect. He looks like the kind of guy that would fill out an ECHL roster and maybe see some time in the AHL in limited stints.

Ciccolini always showed good skill. I liked him. As you said he kind of got buried, and if he ever was going to have a chance, missing basically his whole junior year was a real killer. I could see him sticking in the AHL in some capacity, he's a pretty well-rounded player.

Reactions: eco's bones

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

some notes from their EliteProspects pages
0009 Luke Krys6'2, turns 23 in Sept, completed 3 ECAC seasons at Brown (played USHL after freshman year, wore A upon return and C last season), but transferring to Providence
0203 Zach Bookman5'10, just turned 21, rising Soph
0208 Matt basgall5'9, rising Soph, will be 21 in Aug

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
some notes from their EliteProspects pages
0009 Luke Krys6'2, turns 23 in Sept, completed 3 ECAC seasons at Brown (played USHL after freshman year, wore A upon return and C last season), but transferring to Providence
0203 Zach Bookman5'10, just turned 21, rising Soph
0208 Matt basgall5'9, rising Soph, will be 21 in Aug
Bookman is interesting. I saw him plenty watching Ollas. Merrimack didn't score a ton but Bookman was their best puck mover on the back end. He scored at a ridiculous rate in the AJHL, which is Junior A. I actually didn't realize he was undrafted, I don't pay that much attention to the other guys. But he definitely stood out. I don't know about him defensively but he has talent offensively.

I don't recall the other two.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Presumably, we relinquish Leevi Aaltonen's rights today.

Capfriendly says we retain the rights to Kjellberg, Ciccolini, and Hughes another season. I don't totally get it, but take it for what it's worth.

I believe that all 3 are using their 5th year of eligibility to stay in school. Ciccolini announced he is transfering to Clarkson. not sure on where the other 2 will be but I remember seeing that hughes entered the transfer protocol or whatever its called.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
In his write up on free agents Corey Pronman had Luke Krys as his 11th best free agent prospect. He's big, can skate and competes. Issue is whether he can move the puck versus pros. He rated Krys as having a chance to play in the NHL.

Reactions: ArPanet

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I believe that all 3 are using their 5th year of eligibility to stay in school. Ciccolini announced he is transfering to Clarkson. not sure on where the other 2 will be but I remember seeing that hughes entered the transfer protocol or whatever its called.
Yeah, Hughes is going to Ohio State.

Without going too far into the language of the CBA regarding college players which is incredibly boring, one of the key components is whether a player is a "bona fide college student" and when his class graduates. The class graduation seems to be able to slide around a bit and sounds like it could just become when you finish attending school and not an actual graduation, but there's also a whole long paragraph about college credits earned and how guys must be able to demonstrate that they fit the criteria of an actual student and aren't just taking like two credits per semester or whatever. Basically without knowing the actual individual circumstances of each player, it's hard to figure out.

Of course, if the NHL decided that since all the NCAA players were eligible for an extra year, the teams hold their rights for that extra year, it would all make sense. It's just that no one has been able to demonstrate that happened, to this point.

Hughes and Kjellberg are entering their D+6 seasons, which is crazy.

Reactions: Leetch3

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Tyler Nanne flashbacks.
Yeah, the forever prospect. His was a little easier to understand on the "holding his rights" front as he missed a year and then had to sit out a year. I think we lost his rights after his second college season, which was his D+5 season. EDIT: No it was actually his D+6 season, LOL.

I have just accepted I probably won't ever fully understand the NCAA situation.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, the forever prospect. His was a little easier to understand on the "holding his rights" front as he missed a year and then had to sit out a year. I think we lost his rights after his second college season, which was his D+5 season. EDIT: No it was actually his D+6 season, LOL.

I have just accepted I probably won't ever fully understand the NCAA situation.

Yeah, I feel the British had an easier time in WW II decoding German messages with the Enigma machine than we do trying to understand NHL rights for NCAA players :laugh:

Reactions: cwede and nyr2k2

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I didn't really see any standout skills in Kjellberg. Granted he exceeded the expectations I had for him after watching him in the USHL, but to me there's no really anything there to suggest he's an actual prospect. He looks like the kind of guy that would fill out an ECHL roster and maybe see some time in the AHL in limited stints.

Ciccolini always showed good skill. I liked him. As you said he kind of got buried, and if he ever was going to have a chance, missing basically his whole junior year was a real killer. I could see him sticking in the AHL in some capacity, he's a pretty well-rounded player.

kind of agree on Kjellberg. He’s a good college defenseman though.

It’s easy to get lost on that Michigan U. team. If Ciccolini had gone to Ohio St. or Colorado College or Providence we might be looking at a different player. He hasn’t played a lot and it’s always been down the lineup.

Reactions: nyr2k2

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014

As some things always seem dire, we know one thing: Drury has a type of player he likes to get and it addresses a huge need organizationally. We need some assholes on the ice.

i would like if he liked a player that was good at skating one of these days

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Thankfully, of those 4 Sykora and Berard would qualify, and Cuylle's not bad either
I don't think Sykora or Cuylle have above average skating truthfully. But it doesn't hurt their game. Sykora is still super young at 18 and that will improve. Kid is a huge gym rat and will get quicker in the offseason.

Berard is definitely the best skater of the 4.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I don't think Sykora or Cuylle have above average skating truthfully. But it doesn't hurt their game. Sykora is still super young at 18 and that will improve. Kid is a huge gym rat and will get quicker in the offseason.

Berard is definitely the best skater of the 4.

I disagree with you on Sykora, he's got both good speed and great short area quickness. Tbh i think the only real weakness in his game is his moderate offensive ceiling

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I disagree with you on Sykora, he's got both good speed and great short area quickness. Tbh i think the only real weakness in his game is his moderate offensive ceiling
Fair enough, his first step is decent, just don't think his overall speed is that great as of yet.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

As some things always seem dire, we know one thing: Drury has a type of player he likes to get and it addresses a huge need organizationally. We need some assholes on the ice.

But yet Drury couldnt get this type for the playoffs and or on the NHL roster, like Bertuzzi and Barbashev and went for more soft finesse offense which did not help much in the playoffs. It’s great he is getting players like that in the future, but what about now that can help now. Bolts Bruins Panthers have no issue trading for a Sam Bennett Tyler Bertuzzi Brandon Hagel types to help the now and future in Hagel and Bennett’s case. Rangers couldnt have done this. I would have dealt a first for Hagel over someone like a few months of Tarasenko or pending UFA.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
But yet Drury couldnt get this type for the playoffs and or on the NHL roster, like Bertuzzi and Barbashev and went for more soft finesse offense which did not help much in the playoffs. It’s great he is getting players like that in the future, but what about now that can help now. Bolts Bruins Panthers have no issue trading for a Sam Bennett Tyler Bertuzzi Brandon Hagel types to help the now and future in Hagel and Bennett’s case. Rangers couldnt have done this. I would have dealt a first for Hagel over someone like a few months of Tarasenko or pending UFA.
I will say, Tarasenko is NOT soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad