2022/2023 Play Off Watch

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Didn't think I will be in a position to start it HOWEVER, with a few games left and Preds losing to Penguins (as predicted)- I think we have a decent chance qualifying.

Team needs to concentrate on itself first rather than calculating on others, but we need luck at both ends (still).

Detroit played superbly last match, let's hope Perron stays hot and they bomb out Jets tonight.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
There isn't much difference between making and missing the playoffs at this point. If the Flames make it then they are a likely 1st round exit so we just get a few more games to watch this season. If they miss then we get a slightly higher draft pick in what is supposed to be a top heavy draft so anyone great should be gone by our pick unless multiple teams pull a 2015 Bruins. There is no jinx, only marginal improvements on a mediocre situation.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Every loss from now on for Peg and Preds is a necessity- surely.
Outside of our games against them, all we actually need is for Winnipeg to have one extra point lost compared to us. So if we win all our games, we would only need Winnipeg to have one OTL outside of our head to head.

Nashville doesn't have their fate in their hands if we beat them.

But yes, every loss for them makes the path easier for us.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Need St Louis to smash Preds. Come on Kapanen.
St Louis is pretty hot lately, and a Nashville loss would mean for the first time if they win every one of their games in hand they wouldn’t catch us. Expecting a win for them today though, it’s their next 3 (Vegas, Dallas, Carolina) where we have a chance to lose them to the point the head to head means less. All depends on Saros really.

Winnipeg’s schedule is beginning to get sneakily difficult. 5 of their 6 remaining games are New Jersey, Minnesota, Colorado, then against do or die teams like us and Nashville. Our Winnipeg game may matter less than we will hype it up on Wednesday although obviously a win would be huge.

End of the day, keep playing exactly like we already are and we have a good chance to be in unless Winnipeg gets hot. We are 6-2-2 over our last 10, Winnipeg is 5-5-0, Nashville is 4-5-1. Just have to win that game in Winnipeg, or keep winning and that game may matter less.

Also don’t agree with everyone saying we are an easy first round exit either. We are a combined 7-4-2 against the top two seeds in both divisions with a positive goal differential. Only team we had a losing record to was the Oilers and we outplayed them hilariously in our losses. One thing we have this year that we didn’t in previous is that we will have played high pressure meaningful games down the stretch, as well as our best hockey if we do get in. Previous years we have seemingly coasted into the playoffs then couldn’t turn back on.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Awful from Blues goalie. Also, the Preds improved their goal difference on us. Will this matter if let's say we are even on points at the end of the season?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I have a feeling the Flames will either make or miss the playoffs.
Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Awful from Blues goalie. Also, the Preds improved their goal difference on us. Will this matter if let's say we are even on points at the end of the season?
Regulation/Overtime wins is the tiebreaker; Flames are not going to catch them so need more points overall.

Edit: Nashville. Not Winnipeg.
Tiebreaker is Regulation & Overtime Wins, then Total Wins, then points earned during the season series. Then (I think) goal differential.

Reactions: joescores

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
We can't afford to lose any game, I can only see Peg dropping a point v Preds and hopefully fat L v us.

Although we are playing them back to back on Wed after Chicago.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We can't afford to lose any game, I can only see Peg dropping a point v Preds and hopefully fat L v us.

Although we are playing them back to back on Wed after Chicago.
Winnipeg does end with Minny and Colorado which is tough. Those two are still fighting for first, and it's the difference between playing Dallas or Seattle in round one. I'm optimistic those will be tough games for them.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Anyone feel Seattle may be the one who misses out? Eh goaltending and unsustainable shooting percentage.
2 games in hand, playing Arizona 3x, 1x Chicago, 1x Canucks and 2x Vegas. Could be interesting but I think they will take 7th.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Winnipeg does end with Minny and Colorado which is tough. Those two are still fighting for first, and it's the difference between playing Dallas or Seattle in round one. I'm optimistic those will be tough games for them.
And Nashville ends with Colorado and Minny in opposite order . This after they the Jets and Preds play each other and we play them both so really we probably have the best schedule of the three teams , it's simple , win 5 we are probably in because it means we handed each of them a loss and I don't see either of them beating both the Avs and Preds , maybe one each for both .

Reactions: Iggys Dome

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Nashville lost so with only 1 game in hand the Flames are officially ahead of them in every points metric (we're 3 up).

Still need to beat Winnipeg (which would tie them) and have a better record in the last 5 games.

Schedule be damned for all three teams, but Flames should get that final WC spot if we can beat Winnipeg on Wednesday.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Nashville lost so with only 1 game in hand the Flames are officially ahead of them in every points metric (we're 3 up).

Still need to beat Winnipeg (which would tie them) and have a better record in the last 5 games.

Schedule be damned for all three teams, but Flames should get that final WC spot if we can beat Winnipeg on Wednesday.
Hi all - Jets fan here. Sorry, I just love analyzing these playoff races when my team is involved. I live in Calgary so I do hear the Flames talk on my way to pick up my morning Tim's. :D

First, let's concede Calgary getting the win against Chicago. Chicago has lost 8 in a row and they are done, and have worked hard to secure the worst record in the league to maximize chances of getting Bedard.

The game against Winnipeg is practically a "must win" for Calgary (although Calgary isn't mathematically eliminated with a loss). If Calgary wins, they are two points up but Winnipeg will have a game on hand and own the tiebreaker (so, control still lies with Winnipeg).

Playing this scenario out, Winnipeg and Calgary both play Nashville and San Jose. Let's say that is a wash (Calgary and Winnipeg keep pace with each other). That leaves Winnipeg with games against Minnesota and Colorado, and Calgary with a game against Vancouver. I don't like Winnipeg's chances in catching up the two points against those opponents.

So, while tomorrow's game isn't a "must win" for either team, it basically does decide it in my mind if it's a clean win.

Of course, if it goes into OT and someone gets a loser point... I will have to pontificate on that further!

Cheers.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Hi all - Jets fan here. Sorry, I just love analyzing these playoff races when my team is involved. I live in Calgary so I do hear the Flames talk on my way to pick up my morning Tim's. :D

First, let's concede Calgary getting the win against Chicago. Chicago has lost 8 in a row and they are done, and have worked hard to secure the worst record in the league to maximize chances of getting Bedard.

Let me stop you right there buckaroo, Calgary more often than not struggles against bottom feeder teams. But yes, I agree with the rest of your post. It's going to be a great playoff race down to the wire.

• Haha
Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Let me stop you right there buckaroo, Calgary more often than not struggles against bottom feeder teams. But yes, I agree with the rest of your post. It's going to be a great playoff race down to the wire.
Ha, fair enough. Jets dropped two games to the Sharks recently so no guaranteed wins for our teams.

Still... the way that Chicago is trending right now, you'd think it's a slam dunk but the jinx is a thing when you thinks things are virtually guaranteed.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad