Prospect Info: [2022 - 1st OA] Juraj Slafkovsky (LW) Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Man, Rehabs or Expat or whatever his name is, is going to be eating some crow as early as next season. The non-stop daily bashing and relentless arguing about Slaf is incredible.

YARN | Obsess much? | Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994 ...
I’d hope he improves next year. Let’s put some quantifiable numbers — what do you think he will accomplish next year?

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Looks like this conversation has gone a bit off the rails. Ends up being two extremes babbling at one another, and everyone else staying far away. Reminds me of an internet political discussion.

Way I see things, Slafkovsky's potential hasn't changed much from where it was at the start of the year. He's got excellent size, skates well, has great skill and a good shot. His assets are undeniable (and plentiful), but he has yet to put them all together for a full season. This year is a mixed bag, because his numbers weren't great and his progression was very up-and-down, with a slight upward tick, but nothing crazy. Thing is, he still has all the tools to be the best player of this draft class, but he also still has a lot to prove. Yes, he struggled in the NHL, but at the same time, Cooley, Jiricek, etc didn't exactly PLAY in the NHL, so it's hard to make one-for-one comparisons.

If we're all being honest, we know he is not a #1 pick in a normal year. He is also not the type of player that comes into the NHL and instantly dominates. We all know he will take some time to actually show what he can do at his best. If you're making grand proclamations and definitive statements about this guy's future after 30 NHL games, good or bad, you're a fool. Prospect development is a patient man's game, and only in a number of years will we truly know what Slafkovsky is capable of. I remain optimistic.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
20-20 would be a good start
So in other words, you expect him to double his production rate next year. But is it fair to Slaf to expect this from him?

Genuine question: How common is it for sophomore NHLers to improve on their point totals/PPG by 100% or greater year on year?

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I've posted this article before, but it looks like it needs to be shared again:

It basically says that guys Slaf's size often need several seasons until they breakout, and often twice as long as average sized players.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
So in other words, you expect him to double his production rate next year. But is it fair to Slaf to expect this from him?

Genuine question: How common is it for sophomore NHLers to improve on their point totals/PPG by 100% or greater year on year?
% can be misleading.

The guy played half his games on the 4th line with scrubs with 9-12 mins of ice time. He then probably played injured until he was LTIRed.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

I don't think its a big expectations tbh. I don't know the stats but its often the case with young player where you see a surprising, unwarranted and parabolic rise in the performance. Just like the absolute opposite is true with players in their thirties where a player can totally fall off a cliff in one single season.

I have made the point (my opinion tbh, not "the point") that we can't really draw any conclusions from a players first season but yeah if Slaf can't get close to 20 goals and 40 points next season i think the clock will start to tick quickly. Despite inconsistencies, i think at times he displayed massive potential. But after 100 games we will absolutely need to have more.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReHabs

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
This is hilarious....YOU make a claim, I simply ask you if you can share and somehow i'm stuck in semantics?

I didn't say you were wrong, I didn't say it's bullshit...I just asked if you could share.

Based on your reluctance to answer the question or provide evidence of this "proven fact backed by game film", i'm assuming you're "proof" is just feelings, which is fine and like your cohort @ReHabs , it's directly related to a lack of production, not necessarily how he was playing.

Yawn.
I answered the question.
You do realize I also read conversations that followed your question and saw how you were making a massive number of it. To me it seems like you were stuck in semantics. By the looks of it, I need some kind of alert system whenever you quote me, because here you were, dying on a cross because I had not answered you.

I'm reluctant to provide evidence?
I am ever so sorry for not realizing there should have to be some kind of worst of Slafkovsky montage on YouTube. Assume whatever you want to. Knowing where you base those, I couldn't care less.

Who cares about such tiny samples, no matter who you're talking about.

That's rhe most laughable part of it. You're not even aware of the ongoing conversation. Just wanted to steam off and jumped in.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I answered the question.
By saying I got stuck in semantics by simply asking you to share your findings.
You do realize I also read conversations that followed your question and saw how you were making a massive number of it. To me it seems like you were stuck in semantics. By the looks of it, I need some kind of alert system whenever you quote me, because here you were, dying on a cross because I had not answered you.
What? :laugh:

I'm going to repeat...you posted a comment, I asked if you could share, other posters chimed in and reprimanded me for asking.

It was a simple question.

P.S. there IS an alert system in place whenever I, or anyone quotes you.
I'm reluctant to provide evidence?
I am ever so sorry for not realizing there should have to be some kind of worst of Slafkovsky montage on YouTube. Assume whatever you want to. Knowing where you base those, I couldn't care less.
Again, YOUR words lol not mine.

For example: I find that Justin Barron is way too soft on the puck, I can point to specific instances in games where that has manifested itself and if someone asked me to share, I'd provide the context and game situation and wouldn't feel attacked or defensive for being asked.

That's rhe most laughable part of it. You're not even aware of the ongoing conversation. Just wanted to steam off and jumped in.
It's a general comment that applies to all conclusions about player's that are reached after a handful of games.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Hopefully he is in the ahl and can develop his game playing big minutes.

Same here, doesn't even have to be full season. Just have him play there until he can actually show he can produce points in a non-tournament setting... Even for maybe a couple weeks for those who are too impatient. Loan Mysak to Czech league and hope he can get his confidence and ability back.

AHL - 23/24
Slafkovsky - AHLer (Richard/Stephens) - Mesar
Roy - Kidney - Heinemann
Simoneau - Davidson - AHLer (Belzile/Teasdale)

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
% can be misleading.

The guy played half his games on the 4th line with scrubs with 9-12 mins of ice time. He then probably played injured until he was LTIRed.
You’re already hedging your commentary.

Producing more means he will get more TOI and likely better linemates. All of the aforementioned factors are a function of him performing better.

Do you think he will perform better next year to the extent that he doubles his PPG?

.... And if it is the case, how is he gonna react to the demotion ?
It can’t be a demotion if he didn’t deserve to play in the NHL to begin with and did nothing to stay in the NHL and got himself injured out of the NHL. If he views it as a demotion he needs to look at his game tape, I think @Hoochi Papa has it somewhere.

3rd Username

Feb 15, 2022
Looks like this conversation has gone a bit off the rails. Ends up being two extremes babbling at one another, and everyone else staying far away. Reminds me of an internet political discussion.

Way I see things, Slafkovsky's potential hasn't changed much from where it was at the start of the year. He's got excellent size, skates well, has great skill and a good shot. His assets are undeniable (and plentiful), but he has yet to put them all together for a full season. This year is a mixed bag, because his numbers weren't great and his progression was very up-and-down, with a slight upward tick, but nothing crazy. Thing is, he still has all the tools to be the best player of this draft class, but he also still has a lot to prove. Yes, he struggled in the NHL, but at the same time, Cooley, Jiricek, etc didn't exactly PLAY in the NHL, so it's hard to make one-for-one comparisons.

If we're all being honest, we know he is not a #1 pick in a normal year. He is also not the type of player that comes into the NHL and instantly dominates. We all know he will take some time to actually show what he can do at his best. If you're making grand proclamations and definitive statements about this guy's future after 30 NHL games, good or bad, you're a fool. Prospect development is a patient man's game, and only in a number of years will we truly know what Slafkovsky is capable of. I remain optimistic.
Honestly, this post sums it up the best. Should end it here and lock the this thread until training camp.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Another reason why they should not have just started him and kept him in the AHL....

Sense of entitlement..... remember KK?
Has Slaf said anything to make you think he is entitled?

Questions from an HF poster do not count.

When I heard him say why he did not feel comfortable playing in the WHC, he did not sound entitled.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
.... And if it is the case, how is he gonna react to the demotion ?
If he doesn't react well we will know he isn't mature or mentally ready to be a NHL pro. If being in the AHL after being less productive than AHL callups like Belzile, Pitlick, Ylonen, and out produced by 4th liners like Pezzetta makes him pout, it will really say a lot about whether he can survive the struggles of the NHL.

Now if he goes to AHL and just lights it up like Caufield/Pacioretty did when they were sent down, it will show he's ready to overcome any challenge. He has to be seeing his fellow countryman and 2nd overall pick Nemec impressing in AHL and hopefully thinking he could do better.

Last edited:

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Did he recover from his injury? Can he play in AHL for the playoff? Would love to see him play in Laval.
He started to skate only a few games ago, he's not game ready in any ways. But even then, he can't play in the AHL playoffs since he wasn't sent down at the deadline (and couldn't be sent down since he was injured).

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Has Slaf said anything to make you think he is entitled?

Questions from an HF poster do not count.

When I heard him say why he did not feel comfortable playing in the WHC, he did not sound entitled.
He hasn’t done anything to insinuate that he’s entitled. I think the organization made a mistake when they started making excuses to cover up their own tracks as to why he was with the team in the press conference after he was injured. That’s the only time at least thus far that I really questioned the intelligence of HuGo.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He hasn’t done anything to insinuate that he’s entitled. I think the organization made a mistake when they started making excuses to cover up their own tracks as to why he was with the team in the press conference after he was injured. That’s the only time at least thus far that I really questioned the intelligence of HuGo.
LOL, they were not making "excuses". They provided reasons that you apparently do not agree with. It is not automatically true that people who disagree with a person are less intelligent.

If the organization thought that Martin St. Louis and his staff would be better at bringing Slaf along than JF Houle and staff, that is an opinion, not an excuse.

If Hugo thought that Slaf would learn more from Josh Anderson than Lucas Condotta, that is an opinion, not an excuse.

If the brass felt that Slafkovsky was absorbing and applying at an acceptable pace the concepts they were trying to teach him, that is an opinion, not an excuse.

Reactions: ReHabs

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
LOL, they were not making "excuses". They provided reasons that you apparently do not agree with. It is not automatically true that people who disagree with a person are less intelligent.

If the organization thought that Martin St. Louis and his staff would be better at bringing Slaf along than JF Houle and staff, that is an opinion, not an excuse.

If Hugo thought that Slaf would learn more from Josh Anderson than Lucas Condotta, that is an opinion, not an excuse.

If the brass felt that Slafkovsky was absorbing and applying at an acceptable pace the concepts they were trying to teach him, that is an opinion, not an excuse.
Starters, you put words in my mouth bringing up that Josh Anderson claim. That wasn’t my point. Second, this has nothing to do with intelligence. The most intelligent people make mistakes. Third, I said “I think” meaning I was giving my opinion.

When members of the staff tell me they’re scared about demoting a green as grass player from the best league in the world at 18 years old when it literally happens all the time after watching him going threw the motions for half a season and having a 15 game pointless streak out of fear for his confidence, it comes across as an excuse. I don’t view that as a good answer as to why they didn’t take a different course of action. If he can’t understand why being demoted at that age could be beneficial, then he’s entitled. And no, I don’t think being around Marty St. Louis who has no resume outside of Montreal as a coach and a random vet like Josh Anderson justifies keeping Slafkovsky here at all costs. You can say he was “absorbing” this and that but very little of that was showing on the ice. I’ve seen a lot of our fanbase really digging in to find the smallest things to find he was improving on and that’s not a good thing and it is staggering if they were watching that and thinking that was progress at an “acceptable rate.” He’ll be in his 40’s before he gets anywhere crawling at that pace.

Reactions: Wats and ReHabs

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
HuGo & MSL made it clear at start of the season, “development success” this season would be measured by assessing how Slaf acclimatized to being around pros & learning the NA NHL game through osmosis not about stats.

One can agree or disagree w approach, but that was the basis of measuring Slaf’s rookie season by the org

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
HuGo & MSL made it clear at start of the season, “development success” this season would be measured by assessing how Slaf acclimatized to being around pros & learning the NA NHL game through osmosis not about stats.

One can agree or disagree w approach, but that was the basis of measuring Slaf’s rookie season by the org
Okay sure.

Have you ever heard of this approach? Has it ever worked? Do we have a way to weigh the likelihood of success and failure of this Osmosis Development approach?

I wish some “journalists” would evaluate this concept without just insisting on it.

I feel like it’s a total black box where defenders of the Habs organization’s decision cannot point to any specific thing but just say “be patient, it will surely work”. What is the mechanism by which Slaf will improve — osmosis? Do other teams do this? Which players can we point to as Osmosis Graduates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad