Prospect Info: [2022 - 1st OA] Juraj Slafkovsky (LW) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I agree 100%. I want him in the OHL with the puck on his stick. Draisaitl went down to the CHL the year after he was drafted. He turned out ok.

But apparently Hughes did an interview recently saying it was NHL or AHL. I don't like that.
Draisaitl didn't have the AHL option. And they decided to send him down after like 40 games in the NHL.

You could actually say they botched his development but when a guy is good he's good no matter what.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Sending Slafkovsky to the CHL would be straight stupid.

He needs to learn how to play a pro game and he won't get that in junior. He will learn nothing by dominating much smaller, weaker competition by using his size in such a way that he won't be able to use it in the NHL.

For me, the AHL is an easy and obvious decision at this point unless he shows significant improvement in the upcoming games.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
With our AHL team in Laval (which means access to Adam Nicholas) no way he's going to the OHL.

Really not sure about what Habs will do (not should do). I think they will start him in the NHL to give him every opportuny to step up his play so they have a reason to keep him with the team.

Mesar's fate is tied with Slaf, especially if HuGo has an opinion on whether it's good or bad for Slaf to also have his old buddy with him in Laval (+baby sit Mesar off-ice).

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Draisaitl didn't have the AHL option. And they decided to send him down after like 40 games in the NHL.

You could actually say they botched his development but when a guy is good he's good no matter what.

Oilers fans were adamant he was much better off in the CHL than the NHL that year.

Sure Slaf has the AHL option. But it doesn't mean that's best for his development. I think he may improve his puck skills more in Junior than in the AHL.

And he can always do 1 year if OHL and then 1 year of NHL. There is no rush. Let him burn each league up before going to the next.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Oilers fans were adamant he was much better off in the CHL than the NHL that year.

Sure Slaf has the AHL option. But it doesn't mean that's best for his development. I think he may improve his puck skills more in Junior than in the AHL.

And he can always do 1 year if OHL and then 1 year of NHL. There is no rush. Let him burn each league up before going to the next.
Even if that would be the best option theoretically or whatever, it will just not happen.

He's been already playing against men then he gets drafted 1st overall and gets sent to junior? Yeah right...

Reactions: Habs10Habs and 417

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Even if that would be the best option theoretically or whatever, it will just not happen.

He's been already playing against men then he gets drafted 1st overall and gets sent to junior? Yeah right...

Many players drafted top 5 have gone back to Junior. Many that were rushed into the NHL should have gone back to Junior. That he was playing against men is a rare case.

At any rate, no one cares about other cases. All that matters is this case - the best decision for this player. He's not your generational no. 1 overall pick.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Many players drafted top 5 have gone back to Junior. Many that were rushed into the NHL should have gone back to Junior. That he was playing against men is a rare case.

At any rate, no one cares about other cases. All that matters is this case - the best decision for this player. He's not your generational no. 1 overall pick.
Usually, guys get sent back because they're not physically ready. It's not the case with Slaf.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Usually, guys get sent back because they're not physically ready. It's not the case with Slaf.

At the end of the day I really don't know all the details about Slaf, could care less about usually or other players.

Just my gut not to skip steps. Once you skip a step you can't go back.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
At the end of the day I really don't know all the details about Slaf, could care less about usually or other players.

Just my gut not to skip steps. Once you skip a step you can't go back.
This is complete BS to be honest, and our coach is the best example.

If someone has the skill/drive/determination to make it he will eventually make it!

So all this talk about developing step by step and not burning steps and bla bla is garbage IMO.

The fact that every time some dude fails it's always the development fault just reinforces it.

Jake Evans made the NHL while being a 7th-round pick and our development was nonexistent apparently! How come he did it?

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
He need to start shooting more, at that size you need to create chaos and get easy goals. One year in the AHL will do wonder for his development.

Reactions: Redux91

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Good point but it's not like all those guys that played with him reached the NHL, you get the point?
My point is that for a player who succeeds in the NHL, one can say they had adequate development and for a player who doesn't meet expectations, one can blame poor development.

Seems futile to argue this for pages on end in any case.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
My point is that for a player who succeeds in the NHL, one can say they had adequate development and for a player who doesn't meet expectations, one can blame poor development.

Seems futile to argue this for pages on end in any case.
That's what I'm trying to preach on this board for years!

People keep blaming everything on bad development all the time...

You're a breath of fresh air! Please post more often!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

If someone has the skill/drive/determination to make it he will eventually make it!

So all this talk about developing step by step and not burning steps and bla bla is garbage IMO.

The fact that every time some dude fails it's always the development fault just reinforces it.

Jake Evans made the NHL while being a 7th-round pick and our development was nonexistent apparently! How come he did it?

Development is important. Not sure how you think otherwise.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014

Jake Evans doesn't crack the NHL on an actual good team.

Twisted Sinister

Oct 8, 2014
Yes he does in a 4th line center role that can win faceoffs and kill penalties.
You should probably go look at his Faceoff percentage since he joined the league. It's nothing to write home about.

Jake Evans is a tenacious little player that just doesn't really bring much to a team in terms of having an actual role. He's ok, but he's just there.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
You should probably go look at his Faceoff percentage since he joined the league. It's nothing to write home about.

Jake Evans is a tenacious little player that just doesn't really bring much to a team in terms of having an actual role. He's ok, but he's just there.
29 points from the bottom lines is quite respectable...

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
A year in the OHL wouldn't hurt. I think dominating a league offensively will do wonders for his development.

Not sure that would happen in the AHL, at least not right away.

bonneaug

Aug 2, 2017
It’s AHL, if only because they can keep Slaf & Mesar on a tighter leash and monitor their progression better. They had a plan the second they had the opportunity to draft Mesar and it’s to have them support each other through this transition to NA hockey.

If Slaf had shown he’s ready for the big league they would’ve rolled with it, but having them both at proximity working with our new dev. team (Vinny, Nicholas, etc.) is the very best next scenario

Reactions: themilosh

Twisted Sinister

Oct 8, 2014
29 points from the bottom lines is quite respectable...
Agree to disagree on this player. I just don't find he brings anything to the table you can't get from most scrappy AHL/NHL journeymen.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the player, and he's been improving year over year (with substantially decent puck possession numbers last year), but I don't think he has a role on a cup winner.

He's not a faceoff dynamo, he's not stifling defensively, he doesn't have size, he can't play on an energy line, and he's not good enough for a top 6 skill role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad