Prospect Info: [2022 - 1st OA] Juraj Slafkovsky (LW) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Agree to disagree on this player. I just don't find he brings anything to the table you can't get from most scrappy AHL/NHL journeymen.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the player, and he's been improving year over year (with substantially decent puck possession numbers last year), but I don't think he has a role on a cup winner.

He's not a faceoff dynamo, he's not stifling defensively, he doesn't have size, he can't play on an energy line, and he's not good enough for a top 6 skill role.
Quite harsh evaluation IMO...

He can always be tossed to the left wing if needed.

He's signed for the next 3 years at a low cap hit, I'm pretty sure he's here to stay.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014

He's signed for the next 3 years at a low cap hit, I'm pretty sure he's here to stay.
I don't mind it under the current circumstances. We won't be a contender for a while.

To be a bit more positive, his career trajectory has shown an upward trend so far, so it's not entirely impossible he becomes a Danault-type in the future.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I don't mind it under the current circumstances. We won't be a contender for a while.

To be a bit more positive, his career trajectory has shown an upward trend so far, so it's not entirely impossible he becomes a Danault-type in the future.
That would be something...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It’s AHL, if only because they can keep Slaf & Mesar on a tighter leash and monitor their progression better. They had a plan the second they had the opportunity to draft Mesar and it’s to have them support each other through this transition to NA hockey.
I remember Hughes being asked on draft day whether Mesar getting picked had anything to do with the Slaf selection and Hughes insisted that Mesar was drafted on his own merits and that it was unrelated to Slaf.

I guess Hughes wanted to reassure that Mesar was evaluated independently of his connection to Slaf.

Ultimately, there is an obvious benefit from having two players in an unfamiliar setting support each other however, it should not be the determining factor in the development trajectory of either player.

If it is determined for instance that the best course of action is for Mesar to play in the OHL this season, then that’s what should happen.

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
He's been already playing against men then he gets drafted 1st overall and gets sent to junior? Yeah right...
He's been embarrassed and buried on a team that thinks he's a third or fourth liner in the SEL, or had a spurt of good luck in a meaningless tournament wherein most meaningful competitors were dispatching their D-tier teams.

Yeah. You're absolutely right that he belongs with other teens in the juniors because he's never shown otherwise consistently over a statistically significant span.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
It’s AHL, if only because they can keep Slaf & Mesar on a tighter leash and monitor their progression better. They had a plan the second they had the opportunity to draft Mesar and it’s to have them support each other through this transition to NA hockey.

If Slaf had shown he’s ready for the big league they would’ve rolled with it, but having them both at proximity working with our new dev. team (Vinny, Nicholas, etc.) is the very best next scenario
That would be a terrible basis to make a decision for 1st round picks. If you think think Slafkovsky will have difficulties to adapt to NA, you simply don't draft him 1OA when you have Wright, a 'consensus' no1 and Cooley available. You don't pick 1st and 26th to be good teamates, but because you think they are the best players to pick.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
He's been embarrassed and buried on a team that thinks he's a third or fourth liner in the SEL, or had a spurt of good luck in a meaningless tournament wherein most meaningful competitors were dispatching their D-tier teams.

Yeah. You're absolutely right that he belongs with other teens in the juniors because he's never shown otherwise consistently over a statistically significant span.
The Slaf in the OHL crowd make the Slaf played great in the 2 exhibition games crowd look good.

Reactions: dasahgah

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Agree that it's WAYYYY to early to judge this pick.
Also agree that he's been underwhelming, and probably worse than both Beck and Mesar so far this training camp,

His next game has to be huge. Another performance similar to his first two games and I'm thinking AHL.

MarioLeMoose

Jul 15, 2022
Agree that it's WAYYYY to early to judge this pick.
Also agree that he's been underwhelming, and probably worse than both Beck and Mesar so far this training camp,

His next game has to be huge. Another performance similar to his first two games and I'm thinking AHL.
I think at this point he should go to the AHL regardless of his performance this week. If he's at the point where he is showing that he is too good for the AHL, then look at promoting him to the big club. There is absolutely zero rush IMO
With that being said though, I really am hoping and expecting a better performance from Slaf this week. I have so much hope for this kid, and that hasn't changed one bit from a couple of pre-season games.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Kid is 18...

I'm happy with the Slaf pick also, but he's also 18 and not doing anything so far this preseason. Most of the time, these players need a lot more time to marinate to become something.
I agree. It's the instant gratification many posters are stuck on which is why I put this here. Temper expectations and use the comparison of Wright having a tough camp to temper Slaf's expectations as Wright is the player who'll forever be compared to Slaf.

Reactions: MarioLeMoose

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Montreal media

in Laval he'll be on the microscope and I dont think he's gonna be too good for AHL.
The way Mesar was talking about it early in camp, expectations back home are way bigger than in here for Slafkovsky. So wherever he plays, he's going to be under the microscope and it won't just be from Montréal media.

Reactions: themilosh

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

I like Evans, but kind of agree with the detractor. Th best I have ever seen him play, was in our SC run vs Winnipeg, he was flying and becoming a star before our eyes - until the Sheiffle assault. He hasn't been the same since. it was eerily similar to the Zednick elbow by McLaren iirc. Zed was on fire, about to break out into real stardom - and bam! done..

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
I like Evans, but kind of agree with the detractor. Th best I have ever seen him play, was in our SC run vs Winnipeg, he was flying and becoming a star before our eyes - until the Sheiffle assault. He hasn't been the same since.
A star...

Look man I love Evans, but lets relax a little bit here Jesus

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

bonneaug

Aug 2, 2017
I remember Hughes being asked on draft day whether Mesar getting picked had anything to do with the Slaf selection and Hughes insisted that Mesar was drafted on his own merits and that it was unrelated to Slaf.

I guess Hughes wanted to reassure that Mesar was evaluated independently of his connection to Slaf.

Ultimately, there is an obvious benefit from having two players in an unfamiliar setting support each other however, it should not be the determining factor in the development trajectory of either player.

If it is determined for instance that the best course of action is for Mesar to play in the OHL this season, then that’s what should happen.

What I meant is that when the opportunity presented itself to draft Mesar, which we believe to be an independent, BPA choice, then the plan wrote itself.

I would go as far as to say Mesar outperformed at his first camp because having this internal challenge with Slaf probably played a good role. Players are human and it was peak motivation.

Anyways. We all want what's best for the kids, I just think that now that both have been drafted, their fate is now linked until someone proves they belong with the big club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad