Prospect Info: [2022 - 1st OA] Juraj Slafkovsky (LW) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I was not really sold on Slafkovsky on draft day but after the delevopment camp I saw that he has really quick hands, solid on his skate, good speed and good stride, I think if he continue to progress he will be a PPG PF for a decade for us, really like the player and his attitude. Nothing against KK or Galchenyuk but they are not in the same category

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Personality wise I think Nemec definitely would prefer a smaller market team compared to the mecca but playing with friends would perhaps change it.

Tell you what though, If you guys Kidnap Quinn Hughes for the Devils they will send you Nemec posthaste! :naughty:

...done...and the plus is that he fits in my pocket anyways, so getting away with it should be easy...:laugh:

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
I was not really sold on Slafkovsky on draft day but after the delevopment camp I saw that he has really quick hands, solid on his skate, good speed and good stride, I think if he continue to progress he will be a PPG PF for a decade for us, really like the player and his attitude. Nothing against KK or Galchenyuk but they are not in the same category

I really agree with everything but I'm more reserved about the PPG comment. Not that it's necessarily wrong. I just don't know how you can project something like that unless you are dealing with a bona fide generational player. At least, I can't.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021

This Top prospect ranking has:

2- Matty Beniers
3- Mason McTavish
4- Kent Johnson
55- Juraj Slafkovsky

I think he has Slafkovsky a bit far, but I wouldn't bet anything on what will be the production in 5 years of any of those four players. 50? 60? 80? 100 pts? And I bet the writer can't either.

• Haha

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
  • Haha

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I really agree with everything but I'm more reserved about the PPG comment. Not that it's necessarily wrong. I just don't know how you can project something like that unless you are dealing with a bona fide generational player. At least, I can't.
Well there will be more PPG in the NHL in the next few years IMO, each year the league is more offensive, faster and quicker. A lot of NHL players had PPG last year and I think Slafkovsky ceiling is higher than some of them. I can easily predict a 60-70 pts season with a few 80-90 in his good years. The way Hughes wants the Habs to play, he will have all the chances to put pts on board with talented players

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

2- Matty Beniers
3- Mason McTavish
4- Kent Johnson
55- Juraj Slafkovsky

I think he has Slafkovsky a bit far, but I wouldn't bet anything on what will be the production in 5 years of any of those four players. 50? 60? 80? 100 pts? And I bet the writer can't either.
its obvious that their list is biased towards prospects that are closer to becoming full time NHLers and who also have marinated in other leagues for a year or two. This is why Guhle is rated so far higher then Slafkovsky. The author is smart for doing this. Why place your take on someone one or two years away and wait to be proven right and look smart when you can pick a NHL ready player and instantly look like a genius?

Slafkovsky definitely need some AHL seasoning and DEFINITELY needs someone to teach him how to hit properly in the NHL. If you take a look at any of the time he attempts to or successfully hits it always looks like he got the worst out of it.

Last edited:

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
its obvious that their list is biased towards prospects that are closer to becoming full time NHLers and who also have marinated in other leagues for a year or two.
How do you explain Nemec, Wright, Cooley and some other I probably didn't notice ahead of Slafkovsky? Cooley isn't even going to play in the NHL next season and Wright is not ready, not even close. Nemec is really good but he's not ready for the NHL either. Lists are stupid anyway.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
How do you explain Nemec, Wright, Cooley and some other I probably didn't notice ahead of Slafkovsky? Cooley isn't even going to play in the NHL next season and Wright is not ready, not even close. Nemec is really good but he's not ready for the NHL either. Lists are stupid anyway.
-Nemec was touted as one of the most NHL ready players of the draft. He's playing in the AHL this season though baring a miracle
-Wright plays for Seattle and their AHL team will be playing in the AHL for the 1st time this year. Probably not a good idea to place him there so He's probably staying with the Kraken for better or worse.
-Cooley.......perhaps he's the rankers favorite player of the recent draft or he believes that the Coyotes are so in need of a good story that they will play Cooley straight away.

You might think Slafkovsky is NHL ready based off his size but while he has a a extremely high skill ceiling he definitely is a bit raw in some area's and should be given lots of minutes in the AHL and coached in the fundamentals a bit more.

I never said I though the list was good or that I liked it though.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
-Nemec was touted as one of the most NHL ready players of the draft. He's playing in the AHL this season though baring a miracle
-Wright plays for Seattle and their AHL team will be playing in the AHL for the 1st time this year. Probably not a good idea to place him there so He's probably staying with the Kraken for better or worse.
-Cooley.......perhaps he's the rankers favorite player of the recent draft or he believes that the Coyotes are so in need of a good story that they will play Cooley straight away.

You might think Slafkovsky is NHL ready based off his size but while he has a a extremely high skill ceiling he definitely is a bit raw in some area's and should be given lots of minutes in the AHL and coached in the fundamentals a bit more.

The only player from the 2022 draft who is ready for the NHL is Slafkovsky. I'm all for sending him to the AHL to get better but he is the most NHL-ready player from that draft, period.

I almost wish they send him down in the OHL and watch him dominate but he's going to play pro.

• Wow
Reactions: Xirik

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

2- Matty Beniers
3- Mason McTavish
4- Kent Johnson
55- Juraj Slafkovsky

Have you seen the people who make this list lol.......I don't know that any of them have ever even played hockey. Their panel looks more like a group that would L.A.R.P. Lord of the Rings battles long before they would lace up the skates. This list was compiled by 3 guys and two of them are novice fan boys who appear to have no understanding of athletics and the 3rd is a huge Leaf homer but I am not aware of any credentials other than writing and hosting podcasts as well as being involved with Marlies broadcasts.The THW pod casts are embarrassingly sad and nothing that emanates from this site should ever be quoted.

Zero credibility here folks.

Last edited:

chef otto

Jul 20, 2022
With our new management/coach, I have faith that they will put Slaf in a winning situation and will be in the NHL.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I expect Slaf to play in both the NHL and AHL this year. I’d guess he gets a few games early before being sent down, and then gets recalled at the TDL for the home stretch after we move some vets.

Ultimately I don’t think it matters nearly as much as others here do.

I agree that it doesn't matter. As long as he's in the right spot to learn and develop his game.

But, as far as how he will contribute to the team this year, he's a real wild card. But, it really doesn't matter because I hope we finish bottom 5 and whatever is best for his development is what is important. Oiler fans tell me Leon freakin' Draisaitl wasn't NHL ready when the Oilers brought him into the NHL right after his draft year. So no worries if Slaf isn't ready.

Not sure how it worked, but Draisaitl played over 30 games in the NHL and 30 games in the CHL that year. And there's another example of why I wouldn't be opposed to Slaf playing in the CHL. Dominating lower levels can be good for a player. Worked for Suzuki, Draisaitl, etc...

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North

Slaf and Wright were the most NHL ready players according to scouts,i think Nemec becomes the best player from this draft but you dont put a 18 year old kid in the NHL it takes longer for them

Wright cant play in the AHL its NHL or CHL for him

Cooley is far from being NHL ready hes for sure going back to college

Reactions: Xirik

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Have you seen how many players were at least PPG this past season? You don't need to be generational anymore to score at that rate.

Reactions: ReHabs

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Have you seen how many players were at least PPG this past season? You don't need to be generational anymore to score at that rate.
But that’s not the reality in Montreal. Last bona fide PPG player was 15 years ago with Kovalev?
The reason some of those years weren’t disasters is because we had the best goalie in the league. To get a PPG player, we need a functional transition game and a couple of puck moving Ds.

We’ve dug a deep organizational hole. 43 points was second best last season… I would “probably” take the bet that we ‘ll have at least 1 PPG player in the next 3 season. No name given. That’s it.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
When I said Slafkovsky isn't our best prospect (it was and remains Guhle) I was met with howls of protest.
I mean hey, if you really want to throw your lot in with that list to support your prior takes then be my guest, but I don't think that is a very good way to support those takes. That list is utterly atrocious.

Last edited:

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
But that’s not the reality in Montreal. Last bona fide PPG player was 15 years ago with Kovalev?
The reason some of those years weren’t disasters is because we had the best goalie in the league. To get a PPG player, we need a functional transition game and a couple of puck moving Ds.

We’ve dug a deep organizational hole. 43 points was second best last season… I would “probably” take the bet that we ‘ll have at least 1 PPG player in the next 3 season. No name given. That’s it.
We're in a brand new era - that's the difference. So far Hugo have been preaching high octane offence composed of speed, skill and IQ. So bon voyage to the past 10 years because things are changing before our eyes.

You are right about the need for quality PMD though. Matheson and Barron is a half decent start. Guhle and Harris aren't half bad either so time will tell how things all shape up.

Tough to predict who scores PPG in 3 years considering our roster is going through so many changes so who will know what the team looks like by then....but for now I'm placing wagers on Suzuki, Caufield and maybe Slaf or Dubois if we get him lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad