Prospect Info: [2022 - 127th] Cedrick Guindon (OHL - Owen Sound Attack)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Guindon's season with Owen Sound came to an end last night.
69 points in 68 regular season games
5 points in 4 playoff games
He's still only 18 (birthday later this month)
Does he get the call from Laval? Not sure if would get ice time but participating in practice and being around more established players could help his development

It would be cool if they bring him to Laval on an ATO. If anything to be around the team. And if they qualify for the playoffs, he can be with them even longer.

If they do bring him in, I don't see them playing him. I think it would be more to have him around the environment and get some pro practices.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Underwhelming start for Guindon so far. Is Owen Sound a team that lost some of their vets?

In terms of production, it's an underwhelming start for Guindon, Nurmi & Kapanen.

Mind you, I haven't watched them play yet, so even without putting up points, they might still be playing effective hockey.

As for Owen Sound, their Top-6 scorers from last year are there this year: Barlow, Guindon, Sedley, Goure, Petrovsky & Burroughs. From the ones I just listed, only Guindon is not in their Top-6 so far this year. He's actually 11th in scoring on Owen Sound 5 games in.

But that is the key here, they're only 5 games into the season. So Guindon can suddenly have a 3-point game and then he's back.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Underwhelming start for Guindon so far. Is Owen Sound a team that lost some of their vets?
Basically what Adam said. Owen Sound is a top tier team this year, who returned the majority of their team. Guindon will rise to the top for points before long, but I'd like to see him be more of a going concern out there.

In my live viewings so far, he has been content to play a very quiet game and look for the odd chance. Would love to see him more assertive with his attacks. He was at his best when he drove on the D and used his speed to find soft spots to attack. He looks for Barlow a LOT, which is understandable, but would love to see him play drive more.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Hasn't show much progress from a stats perspective since being drafted:
Development of teenage athletes is, at best, a very uncertain process. Some players plateau and then resume their ascendency while others never enjoy that rejuvenating benefit and disappear from view.

When they were minor aged players, Guindon and Goyette, were regarded as the two best Ottawa region prospects of their draft cohort. Guindon’s progress this year has been less than expected while Goyette's progression has accelerated.

But let's see how Guindon plays at next year's camp before we write him off as a legitimate prospect..

Last edited:

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
But let's see how Guindon plays at next year's camp before we write him off as legitimate prospect..
Montreal needs to decide by June 1st if he'll get a contract and remain with the organization - don't think we'll get a chance to see how he looks in training camp

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
We might if we give him an AHL contract.
Technically he would be an NHL free agent in that case and any team could sign him (even if contracted to Laval). Davidson, Tourigny, Harvey-Pinard, and Simoneau were different as Montreal held their rights for another year. Can't think of any recent examples of a former draft picks who went unsigned when their rights expired and signed an AHL contract with Laval. Not saying it won't happen but guessing most prospects choose to move on - especially if all other franchises can sign them

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Technically he would be an NHL free agent in that case and any team could sign him (even if contracted to Laval). Davidson, Tourigny, Harvey-Pinard, and Simoneau were different as Montreal held their rights for another year. Can't think of any recent examples of a former draft picks who went unsigned when their rights expired and signed an AHL contract with Laval. Not saying it won't happen but guessing most prospects choose to move on - especially if all other franchises can sign them

It would depend - if there's interest in him from teams like Tampa who have no prospects, he probably would take that opportunitiy.. but there's a guy like Stapley we did this with out of college, on a fringe prospect like that, there might only be interest from the team that drafted them.

No big loss either way, he didn't take a big enough step this year but I still like the motor and the shot.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
We might if we give him an AHL contract.

Just out of curiosity, do you know if they sign him before his rights expire, does it have to be an ELC or do they need to wait until after to sign him to an AHL deal?

I know they did it with RHP, Simoneau, Davidson, and Tourigny. But they were eligible to turn pro a year before their rights expired. But Guindon's rights expire this July. So I wasn't sure in his case, it would have to be an ELC or an AHL deal before July 1st is okay.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Just out of curiosity, do you know if they sign him before his rights expire, does it have to be an ELC or do they need to wait until after to sign him to an AHL deal?

I know they did it with RHP, Simoneau, Davidson, and Tourigny. But they were eligible to turn pro a year before their rights expired. But Guindon's rights expire this July. So I wasn't sure in his case, it would have to be an ELC or an AHL deal before July 1st is okay.

I'm really not sure!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

I think he can sign an AHL deal, but his NHL rights will be up for grabs as of June 1st.

EDIT: He's not overage so he goes back into the draft.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad