Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
For those keeping track... Canada

U18 champs
Silver at U20
Silver at Hlinka
Silver at World's
Gold at last 3 best on best tourneys (2014 and 2010 Olympics and World Cup)

And yet so many haters like to go on about how we lost our edge and that we aren't a great hockey nation anymore, while their respective countries in which they claim to be superior haven't accomplished half of this in as much time.

They raise the bar for Canada and lower it for themselves as to what determines who the bast hockey nation is. But take it as a compliment, they clearly expect better from us.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Got a little nervous for Canada, they were behind or tied until halfway through the game.
After the WJR's, I think we were all a little nervous. I promised myself I would not post until after the tournament for fear they would blow it.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
And yet so many haters like to go on about how we lost our edge and that we aren't a great hockey nation anymore, while their respective countries in which they claim to be superior haven't accomplished half of this in as much time.
I genuinely feel that some fans on here are reading things that were never written.

Which country declared this superiority over Canada? Which poster? Sure the poster wasn't just a troll?

Eg. look through any hockey thread and quote me where someone said Canada is now worse at hockey and their country is clearly superior?

The only time I see this is when Canadian fans on here come on and start arguing back to an argument that was never made.lol Eg. Canada demolishes Sweden and there were posters declaring this proves the Swedes were wrong in saying they were the greatest hockey nation on earth. Except I never saw a post like that from a Swedish fan.lol I spend a lot of team in the international section.

Only referring to HFboards.. I've never really seen the claims that Canada now sucks and their country is better. I've seen several posters from Canada come on and declare themselves superior in everyway and that this is the proof. I've definitely never seen an article declaring that a country is superior to Canada. I honestly just haven't seen it... can you send me some links or quotes from this thread or a different one?

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Great Gold Medal Game, and performance by Team Canada. Feels good to end the drought. I was hoping to see Cole Sillinger
play in the tournament, but unfortunately COVID prevented that. Bedard is a special talent at only 15 years old, and the goal
he scored was amazing. What a tremendous game, and congrats to Russia on their Silver Medal also.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I genuinely feel that some fans on here are reading things that were never written.

Which country declared this superiority over Canada? Which poster? Sure the poster wasn't just a troll?

Eg. look through any hockey thread and quote me where someone said Canada is now worse at hockey and their country is clearly superior?

The only time I see this is when Canadian fans on here come on and start arguing back to an argument that was never made.lol Eg. Canada demolishes Sweden and there were posters declaring this proves the Swedes were wrong in saying they were the greatest hockey nation on earth. Except I never saw a post like that from a Swedish fan.lol I spend a lot of team in the international section.

Only referring to HFboards.. I've never really seen the claims that Canada now sucks and their country is better. I've seen several posters from Canada come on and declare themselves superior in everyway and that this is the proof. I've definitely never seen an article declaring that a country is superior to Canada. I honestly just haven't seen it... can you send me some links or quotes from this thread or a different one?

Canadian fans have that Michael Jordan mentality towards hockey. Looking for any slight for the “And I took that personally view”.

Canadian hockey, and indeed Russian hockey are in very good hands. I expect this won’t be the last epic battle between Bedard and Michkov internationally between the two hockey Super Powers historically. These two could renew a special era of best-on-best hockey presuming we continue to get best-on-best.

While Canadian fans look for extra motivation and threats to our status as the greatest hockey nation, the reality is this:

upload_2021-5-7_11-3-43.jpeg

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Canadian fans have that Michael Jordan mentality towards hockey. Looking for any slight for the “And I took that personally view”.

Canadian hockey, and indeed Russian hockey are in very good hands. I expect this won’t be the last epic battle between Bedard and Michkov internationally between the two hockey Super Powers historically. These two could renew a special era of best-on-best hockey presuming we continue to get best-on-best.

While Canadian fans look for extra motivation and threats to our status as the greatest hockey nation, the reality is this:

View attachment 430997
The Michael Jordan analogy is brilliant.

I'm convinced half the arguing on the international threads is between Canadians fans getting upset over comments that were never made and then proving those imaginery people wrong.

For instance... I've never seen that image with a Swede or Finn sitting in it.

Reactions: Jussi

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
These are good problems to have! As a Czech fan I'd kill for these 2 problems

1. Askarov is a first round pick by an amazing team at developing goalies
2. your stinker from this generation was just named best goalie of the tournament

If I were a Russian fan I'd be ecstatic at the goalie situation in every age category.

I disagree about Askarov, he is just too propped up by his organization, but again, I wish he proves me wrong.
as for your second statement, well I guess the rest of the goalies were even worse....
Czech is a small country and with separation from Slovakia and opening up the boarders with the West just can't retain enough quality in the league to raise so many players.
With sanctions and ruble devaluation, Russia is facing this again as well, setting records of players in the NHL and many more in juniors/minors, this is killing European hockey.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Jordan came from rags to riches. Doesn't compare well to Canadian fans.

They have more of a spoiled rich kid mentality. Just won gold, still unhappy about something or other.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The Michael Jordan analogy is brilliant.

I'm convinced half the arguing on the international threads is between Canadians fans getting upset over comments that were never made and then proving those imaginery people wrong.

For instance... I've never seen that image with a Swede or Finn sitting in it.
You would be wrong on this count, Canada is always a constant target around here and has a tough time getting even an inch of posted respect from a lot of posters (of course in reality they respect Canada, they just won't dare verbalize it here) That would take some maturity, which they probably will never possess to any degree worth mentioning.

Many Canadian posters aren't angels, but the fans from other places are every bit as bad and numerous, I'm surprised a poster like you who is here for all these international events and that I have come to respect a lot sees it as you stated here. You just have to see the post above mine to witness this................total disrespect trash post and they are always there to no end.

It's a big mess of a two way street of disrespect among far too many posters.

Reactions: karlstegger

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
You would be wrong on this count, Canada is always a constant target around here and has a tough time getting even an inch of posted respect from a lot of posters (of course in reality they respect Canada, they just won't dare verbalize it here) That would take some maturity, which they probably will never possess to any degree worth mentioning.

Many Canadian posters aren't angels, but the fans from other places are every bit as bad and numerous, I'm surprised a poster like you who is here for all these international events and that I have come to respect a lot sees it as you stated here. You just have to see the post above mine to witness this................total disrespect trash post and they are always there to no end.

Maybe a better way to say it is that Canada has a victim mentality, even when they win!

Reactions: Jussi

karlstegger

May 15, 2016
Denmark

This is mostly what I notice in here as well. While there of course are some toxic Canadian posters, I see plenty other fans taking shots at Canada whenever they see their chance of doing so.

Also, from my experience of going to various hockey tournaments, Canada and Czech Republic have stood out to me as the two most friendly and reasonable to talk to fanbases of the big ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
This is mostly what I notice in here as well. While there of course are some toxic Canadian posters, I see plenty other fans taking shots at Canada whenever they see their chance of doing so.

Also, from my experience of going to various hockey tournaments, Canada and Cech Republic have stood out to me as the two most friendly and reasonable to talk to fanbases of the big ones.
Of course you are 100% correct, it would be almost impossible to fail to notice the reality of interactions on this hockey board. It gets so silly around here, you can hardly believe that supposed adults can take their hatred/rivalry to such a level that they are incapable of even giving a modicum of respect to their opponent.

Kid stuff.

Glad to hear that your experience of both those fan bases has been more positive at tournaments you have attended.

Reactions: karlstegger

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
I disagree about Askarov, he is just too propped up by his organization, but again, I wish he proves me wrong.
as for your second statement, well I guess the rest of the goalies were even worse....
Czech is a small country and with separation from Slovakia and opening up the boarders with the West just can't retain enough quality in the league to raise so many players.
With sanctions and ruble devaluation, Russia is facing this again as well, setting records of players in the NHL and many more in juniors/minors, this is killing European hockey.
Sanctions and ruble devaluation are just symptoms of the autocracy (slowly morphing into a dictatorship) that has been gripping the country for 21 years now. This trend where even every mediocrity jumps the ocean at the first opportunity will only get bigger in the future.

Reactions: Yakushev72

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

Also, from my experience of going to various hockey tournaments, Canada and Cech Republic have stood out to me as the two most friendly and reasonable to talk to fanbases of the big ones.

My experiences were the opposite. I've been to 3 WJC and a WC and the Canadian contingent has always been somewhat unbearable as a group, especially at the U20. The Russians standoffish, somewhat arrogant. Swedes and Finns were alright. The Czechs have always been super cool.
I'm talking in generalities of course as I've had great interactions with individuals from all these places.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Agar

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba

JJ’ ...

I have worked forever in a highly competitive market...

I know I am doing well against My competitors....they are always complaining about Me...

Even their friend clients complain about Me... even though they have never enjoyed My services... this means My competitors are complaining about Me to their clients... unprofessional behaviour on their part...

The more our competitors to Team Canada complains... you know we must be winning...

I always try to be gracious with Team Canada’s victories... and I win with them...

All good to Me JJ’...

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
JJ’ ...

I have worked forever in a highly competitive market...

I know I am doing well against My competitors....they are always complaining about Me...

Even their friend clients complain about Me... even though they have never enjoyed My services... this means My competitors are complaining about Me to their clients... unprofessional behaviour on their part...

The more our competitors to Team Canada complains... you know we must be winning...

I always try to be gracious with Team Canada’s victories... and I win with them...

All good to Me JJ’...
Pretty much, well said.

I've been thinking of that posters experience with Canadian fans which he describes as an unbearable experience. I'd love to be at these things and experience what U.S fans would be like, except they don't have any fans at these events. Well, aside from him and 2 others and a few moms and pops of the players because well, they don't care all that much.

Passion for the sport has it's bad points and good points.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Pretty much, well said.

I've been thinking of that posters experience with Canadian fans which he describes as an unbearable experience. I'd love to be at these things and experience what U.S fans would be like, except they don't have any fans at these events. Well, aside from him and 2 others and a few moms and pops of the players because well, they don't care all that much.

Passion for the sport has it's bad points and good points.

An explanation is in order here, because I experienced a HUGE difference between the fans at the World Championships and the U20s. The Canadians at the Worlds were friendly, fans of the international game, and very respectful. Good people. The opposite held true at the world juniors where I found many to be intolerant, disrespectful and obnoxious. Unlike other contingents, I find that Canadian fans flooding arenas at the U20s generally espouse a very tribal NHL-like vibe. But I suppose this is expected when a tournament holds the immense popularity the WJC does in your country; it attracts jerks and lukewarm fans. The same would happen here if people cared.
Just my experience. Nothing more/less.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
An explanation is in order here, because I experienced a HUGE difference between the fans at the World Championships and the U20s. The Canadians at the Worlds were friendly, fans of the international game, and very respectful. Good people. The opposite held true at the world juniors where I found many to be intolerant, disrespectful and obnoxious. Unlike other contingents, I find that Canadian fans flooding arenas at the U20s generally espouse a very tribal NHL-like vibe. But I suppose this is expected when a tournament holds the immense popularity the WJC does in your country; it attracts jerks and lukewarm fans. The same would happen here if people cared.
That's fair and likely true. :)

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It is a tribal thing when this sort of situation exists. Major tournament, cultural attachment, etc etc.

Like I said, passion in sports has it's good and bad points. It is indeed unfortunate you had to experience some of the bad.

Macman

May 15, 2004
My experiences were the opposite. I've been to 3 WJC and a WC and the Canadian contingent has always been somewhat unbearable as a group, especially at the U20. The Russians standoffish, somewhat arrogant. Swedes and Finns were alright. The Czechs have always been super cool.
I'm talking in generalities of course as I've had great interactions with individuals from all these places.

I've been to three world juniors in Europe and I mostly agree. The Canadians overwhelm everybody in sheer numbers, other than the hosts, and definitely in noise and displays of hockey patriotism. I imagine it gets a little much over time, but the tournament is massive here. The senior worlds simply don't have that kind of hold on most Canadians.

I've noticed the Russian aloofness too but I suspect it probably has more to do with a language barrier that usually doesn't exist between North Americans and people from Nordic countries. In Ufa, though, the Russian fans were tremendous with the Canadians who travelled that far. They were treated like rock stars. Russians wanted their pictures taken with Canadian fans and even asked for autographs!

I didn't go to that one but the Canadians I met who did were so overwhelmed they asked local organizers if they could make a video and have it played over the scoreboard during the final to thank everyone for the warm response. It got a standing ovation.

My experiences and interactions at the world juniors have been uniformly positive. It's why we keep going back.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
In my opinion, a lot of the "hate" that Canadians feel from posts comes from perceived slights brought about by Canadian posts that appear to express an arrogant, dismissive sense of superiority, however justified (e.g., Canada vs. Sweden in this tournament), all fueled by bathing in national glory! It is kind of like rubbing your nose in it. Especially at the younger age groups, it is almost impossible for Europeans and Americans to compete with Canada because of the lack of organization and development. When Canada beats a good Swedish team 12-1 and 8-1, its great for Canadian national pride, but it doesn't seem like that is a good thing for international hockey. It could end up removing a credible basis for continued competition.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018

Also, from my experience of going to various hockey tournaments, Canada and Czech Republic have stood out to me as the two most friendly and reasonable to talk to fanbases of the big ones.

What I've found is that on the whole Canadian prospects seem to be rather under-hyped by non Canadian fans while over-hyping their own respective players. Now the same can be said of Canadian fans in relation to their own players but I've never really seen many Canadian posters dismissing the accomplishments of non Canadian players. I'm an American and I can tell you flat out that if Owen Power wore the red, white and blue then many of our fellow American posters would be hailing him as the next generational Dman who most likely would have went number one over-all in the past four drafts (with the possible exception of 2019). If Wright were American then he would be tabled as the next Crosby, possibly better and if either of Bedard or Michkov were born in Minnesota then this board would periodically crash and it would be loudly proclaimed that the future would belong to America.

It seems that we Yanks have a tendency to really push our own while somewhat dismissing others. Now don't get me wrong, you won't find any poster here arguing that Wright or Michkov are not the best of their class but there are those that under rate them due to their nationalities and I think that's where the viewpoint of Canada (or Russia) being disrespected comes from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad