U18: 2021 WJC18

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
Lol, have you seen him playing? Have you seen that episode, when he dragged the penalty, when he fooled a Canadian behind the net with his skating?
He wasn’t insanely noticeable despite the 3 points. He was outplayed by Badeard the last 2 games. I’m sure he will be amazing though

Reactions: prongertheman9

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He wasn’t insanely noticeable despite the 3 points. He was outplayed by Badeard the last 2 games. I’m sure he will be amazing though

Lol, Bedard was absolutely invisible in the last 2 periods vs Russia, while Michkov always tried to create something. Of course, it wasn't Bedard's hockey, when Canada tried to hold on the advantage, but still.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Lol, Bedard was absolutely invisible in the last 2 periods vs Russia, while Michkov always tried to create something. Of course, it wasn't Bedard's hockey, when Canada tried to hold on the advantage, but still.
Talk about nit-picking.

Canadians hockey fans are thrilled / drooling over Wright and Savoie. Add Bedard a years later and it's almost too good to be true.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Congratulations to Canada for a truly outstanding tournament. They were excellent in every game. Great players, but what was noticeable was their positioning, tactics and strategy. Seemed to me to be a masterful coaching job, which Russia sorely lacked. Russia had a strong attack, and their defense played better than expected, but substandard goaltending was the major difference in the game. Giving up goals on a 30-foot backhand, a shot from along the goal line, and a 40-foot wrist shot will take a team out of a game that the rest of the team is fighting to stay in. He needed to get up off of his knees, he's not a prostitute! Under the circumstances, Silver is a pretty good outcome, though.

Last edited:

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
As opposed to Michkov being invisible the entire game. I don’t see a massive play driver. Kaprizov is a good comparison but would be a massive disappointment

Reactions: prongertheman9

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
As opposed to Michkov being invisible the entire game. I don’t see a massive play driver. Kaprizov is a good comparison but would be a massive disappointment

Canada won not because of Bedard, and Russia was pretty close to Canada till the last minute because of Michkov. Here is your "play driving"...

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Ladies and gentleman you have seen now 8th miracle of the world.
The miracle was that Former U18 WJC gold medalist ( 2018 ) Team Finland QUIT like losers.
This was embarrassing game for the Finns and everyone should be ashamed.

Hopefully this was last time ever when Petri Karjalainen was coaching Finnish national team.
That idiot shouldn't have any business to get any coaching jobs into
Finnish hockey association after this embarrassing farce.
Please get rid of Petri Karjalainen's incompetent ass and coaching right now.
Petri Karjalainen you should be FIRED.

But isnt this quiting due to the fact that they are 18? Emotions can be too much for these young players. Of course though that is a part they need to learn to handle as they become senior players.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
But isnt this quiting due to the fact that they are 18? Emotions can be too much for these young players. Of course though that is a part they need to learn to handle as they become senior players.

Besides, you Finns got enough winning now for a while I think.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Got a little nervous for Canada, they were behind or tied until halfway through the game. It's like they were getting tired or teams were figuring them out. The first game was a blowout against the Swedes, then the re-match vs SWE was close, now the final was even closer.

I'm sure Russia is the 2nd best team here though. Those top 6-9 forwards will be back for U20s. These birth years look weak for Finland and USA, so I'm thinking favourites are Russia/Canada. I think SWE has some fast, gritty forwards. Edvinsson can play in the NHL next season rather than U20 though.

Macman

May 15, 2004
It's insane how well some of these kids can shoot. Who chooses to take a backhand from 30 feet and picks the corner? Great game that could have gone either way. It doesn't get any better than Canada vs. Russia.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
It's insane how well some of these kids can shoot. Who chooses to take a backhand from 30 feet and picks the corner? Great game that could have gone either way. It doesn't get any better than Canada vs. Russia.

I think it is unlikely that he "picked a corner" on a backhand from that far out. I think he just unloaded a shot with a lot of steam on it, but mainly, the goaltender just failed to make the save. In a championship game, you can't give up goals like that, or shots along the goal line, or wrist shots from far out. Throughout the tournament, Ivanov gave up a lot of goals by going to his knees, leaving the upper half of the net wide open. Not to pick on the kid, but several games were needlessly close because of goaltending errors.

Reactions: cska78

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
The final was excellent to watch! Congrats to team Canada! Great job supporting Russian to the Russian fans who game to the game, you were heard all the time!
I do think that goaltending let us down a little even though they gave Ivanov best goalie of the tournament, I am not sold on this guy. Both medal games 1/2 and final he allowed some unnecessarily goals.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I think it is unlikely that he "picked a corner" on a backhand from that far out. I think he just unloaded a shot with a lot of steam on it, but mainly, the goaltender just failed to make the save. In a championship game, you can't give up goals like that, or shots along the goal line, or wrist shots from far out. Throughout the tournament, Ivanov gave up a lot of goals by going to his knees, leaving the upper half of the net wide open. Not to pick on the kid, but several games were needlessly close because of goaltending errors.
I agree with you on Ivanov's assessment. I just think no matter who of the three would have started - they would have issues. Between our porous D we just don't have a goalie of Bobrovskiy/Vasiliveskiy/etc caliber in this generation.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
BTW can't blame Ivanov in the defeat. Canadians displayed some crazy shooting, not sure even Vasilevsky could have stoped those shots.
Disagree. The backhander was wicked and lucky, but what about a goal w here he ducked away from the shot and allowed a goal, first goal was also stoppable for sure, or a top shelf for 0 degree angle where he just left the corner open (also a wicked shot though). Vs finnland he was out of position on two goals as well.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I agree with you on Ivanov's assessment. I just think no matter who of the three would have started - they would have issues. Between our porous D we just don't have a goalie of Bobrovskiy/Vasiliveskiy/etc caliber in this generation.
I honestly can't think of a nation with better goalies going right now? Russia is the current all world goalie factory!

From Vasilevsky to Askarov Russia has everything from promising prospect to Vezina winners. When I see the 2022 Olympic prediction thread... Russia has about 6 goalies that could all start.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I honestly can't think of a nation with better goalies going right now? Russia is the current all world goalie factory!

From Vasilevsky to Askarov Russia has everything from promising prospect to Vezina winners. When I see the 2022 Olympic prediction thread... Russia has about 6 goalies that could all start.

by generation I meant the U-18, sorry if that was confusing.
Askarov is a bust in the making - at least my opinion, hope he proves me wrong.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
by generation I meant the U-18, sorry if that was confusing.
Askarov is a bust in the making - at least my opinion, hope he proves me wrong.
These are good problems to have! As a Czech fan I'd kill for these 2 problems

1. Askarov is a first round pick by an amazing team at developing goalies
2. your stinker from this generation was just named best goalie of the tournament

If I were a Russian fan I'd be ecstatic at the goalie situation in every age category.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad