HF Habs: 2021 U-18 Tournament (4-26 to 5/6): Thurs. May 6 | Canada wins Gold! Defeat Russia 5-3

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
and tied by Caufield, no?

Yes, actually he's the leader for goals scored in one tournament. He got 14 goals in 7 games (at 17). Ovechkin got 14 in 8 games (at 16).

Top 4: Caufield, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk & Kucherov. Solid company for Cole.

I'll never understand how Kucherov wasn't a top draft pick in 2011. He was a phenom in both the MHL & u18s his draft year.

Ovechkin is all time leader at u18s with 23 goals.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I believe this sets up a Russia vs Canada semi-finals, which sucks. I was hoping that would be the final.

I fully expect US to beat Sweden, so the other semi should be Finland vs USA. Finland beat Switzerland 2-0. I only saw bits & parts of it, but it looked like a real grind for the Fins.

There is no relegation in this tournament, so all these countries are back next year.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I believe this sets up a Russia vs Canada semi-finals, which sucks. I was hoping that would be the final.

I fully expect US to beat Sweden, so the other semi should be Finland vs USA.

There is no relegation in this tournament, so all these countries are back next year.
The announcers of the Canada game were saying Canada plays the winner of Sweden-Usa.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The announcers of the Canada game were saying Canada plays the winner of Sweden-Usa.

Ok. That's better. We should have no issues vs USA. Can't see them losing to Sweden. Canada and Russia are clearly the 2 most talented teams in this tournament.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Holy shit! US is losing 3-1 to Sweden. 13:30 left.

Pastujov with the goal for US.

Lysell with 2 and Havelid with one for Sweden.

Mbereko started game for US, but apparently got injured again. Homer is in. Mbereko is a MUCH better goalie.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I saw some of the Can/Czech game. The Czech goalies couldn’t stop anything. Pulled the starter after 3 goals on 4 shots. Next shot went in on the replacement.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
So yeah, Sweden vs Canada and Finland vs Russia in semis.

The group Sweden/Canada game was an absolute laugher. Canada won 12-1.

The group Finland-Russia game was great. Finland won 4-3 in shootout. That should be a great game.

Semi-final games are Thursday @ 5 pm and 9 pm. Both games are on TSN1.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
So yeah, Sweden vs Canada and Finland vs Russia in semis.

The group Sweden/Canada game was an absolute laugher. Canada won 12-1.

The group Finland-Russia game was great. Finland won 4-3 in shootout. That should be a great game.

Semi-final games are Thursday @ 5 pm and 9 pm. Both games are on TSN1.
With U18’s , you never know. Ask the U.S. Actually, poor goaltending inflated Canada’s margin of victory. I wasn’t impressed with Canada’s game as they were pinned in their zone for extended periods of time.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
With U18’s , you never know. Ask the U.S. Actually, poor goaltending inflated Canada’s margin of victory. I wasn’t impressed with Canada’s game as they were pinned in their zone for extended periods of time.

Yeah, Canada scored pretty much on any opportunity. Hoping for a better game.

Reactions: Habs Icing

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Simon Robertsson doesn't meet expectations thus far in the tournament...

Had him high on my list.

Really impressed by Rosen though... Still have a long way to grow.

Yup. Robertsson is really falling for me. Just hasn't been engaged at all, and hasn't shown any particular skill.

I like Rosen a lot too.

Reactions: bopeep

Maxime Bernier

Oct 7, 2020
Here is a video of some moments of the FIN vs SUI.

From what I have seen, Switzerland played well. They missed their chances. Their best opportunity was a penalty shot while it was 1-0. They were also too indisciplined. They took five penalties. The first and winning goal of the game was scored on the fifth powerplay.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Here is a video of some moments of the FIN vs SUI.

From what I have seen, Switzerland played well. They missed their chances. Their best opportunity was a penalty shot while it was 1-0. They were also too indisciplined. They took five penalties. The first and winning goal of the game was scored on the fifth powerplay.

They took a million penalties against Canada too.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
After 1, 0-0 between Canada and Sweden.

Didn't catch the first, but Sweden is obviously playing a much better game.

Just saw a Rosen drive. Damn, I'm convinced I want him drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad