GDT: 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs (General Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yah we really wouldnt know. The Islanders just dont shoot themselves in the foot. They know how to close out a game. Its Barry Trotz its kinda what his teams do.

It also helps you not give away games, if your primary focus is defense like all Trotz teams instead of offense.

There's positives and negatives to each style, but being more defensively oriented helps you to have a 'keep it simple' mindset and prevent you from making careless mistakes. But it may come at the expense of not being able to get a goal when you're trailing.

The Avs style is more about being aggressive offensively, and putting teams on their heels so you don't play in the D zone much, and limiting the shots against. That helps you get goals better than the defensive style, but it comes with the occasional moments where players try to do too much with the puck.

Like with Burakovsky and Landy's turnovers last night especially.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Maybe not easily but the Islanders would win in 6-7. Trotz would figure out a way the same way Deboer has to shut the Avs down.

That’s fair.

At this stage of the game Montreal is really the only team that would shock me if they won the cup.

I’m not a believer in the Islanders winning it all for the same reason as usual. They lack star power. Their roster is really deep and they have a great coach, but they only really have one star and Barzal is a borderline star.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
100% disagree with this. Who cares if its his first time.... he charged a vulnerable player with the sole intention of hurting him. That play has no business in the game today. Get it out of here.

Oh ok, since its your first time trying to kill a guy, we will lessen your suspension. Get out of here!
I am not saying the hit was ok or has a place in the game. I am saying based on suspensions levied in the past, the 4 game ban in the playoffs which amounts to 12 regular season games is on the absolute extreme side of consequences. Scheifele has every right to call out DoPS based on that and that alone.

At this point the NHL doesn't care about removing this hit. They're just guessing numbers.

Reactions: S E P H

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
It's not over yet Kingslayer.

Those old Avalanche teams choked their fair share too. As do many other teams before they end up winning.

Actually, they didn’t really. One bad playoff as the Nordiques, then the cup. They may have had some bad beats afterwards, but at least made multiple conference finals and eventually won another cup.

This current Avs team are a bunch of mental midgets compared to the good ole days.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Actually, they didn’t really. One bad playoff as the Nordiques, then the cup. They may have had some bad beats afterwards, but at least made multiple conference finals and eventually won another cup.

This current Avs team are a bunch of mental midgets compared to the good ole days.

They absolutely did. They had Cup contending teams for like 8 years after they won in 96, but wasted multiple of opportunities. Plenty of teams waste opportunities. It's why the Cup is so hard to win.

1998 - Avs were up 3-1 against Edmonton and then lost games 5, 6, and 7 to lose in the first round.
1999 - Avs were up 3-2 against Dallas and then lost games 6 and 7 to lose in the conference finals.
2000 - Wasted Bourque's first run by giving up the first 3 goals in game 7 against Dallas in the conference finals and didn't score until the third period before eventually losing 3-2.
2002 - Avs were up 3-2 against Detroit and then lost games 6 and 7 to lose in the conference finals again.
2003 - Roy's last season still with Forsberg, Sakic, Tanguay, Blake, and Foote on the team. Were up 3-1 on Minnesota before losing games 5, 6, and 7, including the last two in OT to lose in the first round.
2004 - The Kariya/Selanne year. After beating Dallas in five in the first round, they drop the first three games against SJ, including the first two which weren't that close. Then eventually lose in 6.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
That’s fair.

At this stage of the game Montreal is really the only team that would shock me if they won the cup.

I’m not a believer in the Islanders winning it all for the same reason as usual. They lack star power. Their roster is really deep and they have a great coach, but they only really have one star and Barzal is a borderline star.
Other than MAF, who does Vegas have that's a "big star?" Petro and Pacioretty are damn good players, but they're not top tier superstars.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Other than MAF, who does Vegas have that's a "big star?" Petro and Pacioretty are damn good players, but they're not top tier superstars.

I can’t stand Mark Stone and I think his performance in the present series is being overrated by the media, but he’s a top-10 player in the NHL.

Theadore and Pietrangelo are also better than every Isles defenceman.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm with @dahrougem2 in terms that Parros gave Scheifele half of the freakin' suspension that Kadri got! For a player who had absolutely no prior history and was more of a victim of some brutal hits against. I do think Scheifele is a scum for doing that to poor Jake Evans, a player who probably doesn't have any sort of hate or rivalry with anybody else in the league. However, Mark isn't wrong at all for what he said even though he's a POS for me. Consistency is a major concern for DoPS, especially that they're making new categorises to prevent punishment for other players like Reaves and Wilson. Think about it, Reaves was thrown out of the game for "intent to injury" and only got two games while Scheifele was thrown out for "charging" and got twice as much with no history. Just unbelievably unexplainable for me.

Reactions: Jazzguitar

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Rask was great and him with Marchand are like the furtherest reasons why they lost, but body language wise that is one bloke who looks like he has no passion for the game anymore. He used to be a hot head, especially in allowing goals even though coaches told him to tone it down. Now, when he lets in a goal he doesn't get angry like at all.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
They absolutely did. They had Cup contending teams for like 8 years after they won in 96, but wasted multiple of opportunities. Plenty of teams waste opportunities. It's why the Cup is so hard to win.

1998 - Avs were up 3-1 against Edmonton and then lost games 5, 6, and 7 to lose in the first round.
1999 - Avs were up 3-2 against Dallas and then lost games 6 and 7 to lose in the conference finals.
2000 - Wasted Bourque's first run by giving up the first 3 goals in game 7 against Dallas in the conference finals and didn't score until the third period before eventually losing 3-2.
2002 - Avs were up 3-2 against Detroit and then lost games 6 and 7 to lose in the conference finals again.
2003 - Roy's last season still with Forsberg, Sakic, Tanguay, Blake, and Foote on the team. Were up 3-1 on Minnesota before losing games 5, 6, and 7, including the last two in OT to lose in the first round.
2004 - The Kariya/Selanne year. After beating Dallas in five in the first round, they drop the first three games against SJ, including the first two which weren't that close. Then eventually lose in 6.

Well, they won a cup before all this happened. And the won another one in the middle. Not sure how these two iterations of the Avs are remotely comparable.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Wow did Matt Grzelcyk have an awful game.

The Bruins got by this season but that thinning defensive corps finally caught up to them in the playoffs. Tinordi, Clifton, Lauzon, Grzelcyk, Reilly. Not one of those guys should be playing as anything more than a #4 and some of them shouldn't even be in the NHL (Tinordi).

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Wow did Matt Grzelcyk have an awful game.

The Bruins got by this season but that thinning defensive corps finally caught up to them in the playoffs. Tinordi, Clifton, Lauzon, Grzelcyk, Reilly. Not one of those guys should be playing as anything more than a #4 and some of them shouldn't even be in the NHL (Tinordi).

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Well, they won a cup before all this happened. And the won another one in the middle. Not sure how these two iterations of the Avs are remotely comparable.

Does it mean they didn't choke because they had a Cup team at the time? That just makes it a bigger choke.

They blew some opportunities in Quebec too before they won.

1994-95 - 1st in East - Lost to NYR in six games in the 1st round
1992-93 - 3rd in East - Lost to Montreal in six games in the 1st round

Reactions: JudoKoala

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Those teams should have won alot more had PL focused a little more on depth scoring especially in that 02 run. After the Oilers debacle they went on to play in 4 conference finals in a row. Thats pretty successful even though they only went to the finals once in those 4 years. If this current Avs core can make it to 4 conference finals in a row thats pretty good imo.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Those teams should have won alot more had PL focused a little more on depth scoring especially in that 02 run. After the Oilers debacle they went on to play in 4 conference finals in a row. Thats pretty successful even though they only went to the finals once in those 4 years. If this current Avs core can make it to 4 conference finals in a row thats pretty good imo.

Would be even more impressive IMO given the parity in the league now. It's harder to win the Cup now than ever.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Damn, i had Boston advance.....

I hope everyone on our team saw that game and how better not to play our Game 6. Series were tied at 2, when the Islanders stole Game 5 on the road..A Game they had no business.... And then closed that thing out in Game 6 at home...... Kinda remembers me on our series... Let´s hope it doesn´t end the same way.

But respect to the Islanders and Coach Trotz. Good things happen when your players dont do stupid things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad