GDT: 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs (General Talk) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
“I wish NHL players showed more personality”

*NHL player shows personality

“What a dick”

There is a difference between showing personality and being a douchebag.

Calling MAF "that guy from Vegas that didn´t deserve the Vezina" is classless. And i don´t think that sits well with other teams either..... Prepare for another LTIR, Mr. Kucherov. But this time for real.:naughty:

I don´t know, but another fanbase would be the last thing that comes to my mind the moment i win the Stanley Cup. :dunno:

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Now we need this to happen. And it needs to be Connor McDavid.
0511_spo_ldn-l-mcdavid.jpg

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It definitely doesn't work that way. Some teams are cup contenders for a couple of seasons tops and fall off immediately after their short window. You can't just look at a teams record after their cup run and determine if they were legit.

The Canucks were one of the best in the league for a few years and lost game 7 to Boston while being absolutely demolished by injuries all series. They were not built for long-term success, but were a great team during their window.

You can absolutely judge a team based on a larger sample than one year.

I find it interesting that the whole board seemingly thinks the Avs were paper champions this year with their President's trophy and don't even deserve to be called one of the Cup favorites, but when the Canucks had one deep run, surrounded by a bunch of 1st and 2nd round exits where they lost three games in a row every year to lose series they were never really close to winning, they were still legit top contenders for like 5+ years?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You can absolutely judge a team based on a larger sample than one year.

I find it interesting that the whole board seemingly thinks the Avs were paper champions this year with their President's trophy and don't even deserve to be called one of the Cup favorites, but when the Canucks had one deep run, surrounded by a bunch of 1st and 2nd round exits where they lost three games in a row every year to lose series they were never really close to winning, they were still legit top contenders for like 5+ years?
So the Avs aren’t contenders then?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
But being a contender isn’t based on hindsight?

Not sure if that's a statement or a question, but I think you have to use hindsight to determine whether a team was overrated or not for like a 5-10 year span.

That's my claim about Vancouver, based on their results outside of 2011, and how they were never close to winning those series.

Everyone is using hindsight to say the Avs weren't true contenders this year, even though I don't agree with that.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Not sure if that's a statement or a question, but I think you have to use hindsight to determine whether a team was overrated or not for like a 5-10 year span.

That's my claim about Vancouver, based on their results outside of 2011, and how they were never close to winning those series.

Everyone is using hindsight to say the Avs weren't true contenders this year, even though I don't agree with that.
If you’re winning or competing for presidents trophies your team is a contender. I don’t see how that wouldn’t be the case.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If you’re winning or competing for presidents trophies your team is a contender. I don’t see how that wouldn’t be the case.

I think it's fair to say that for that one year a team wins or competes for the President's trophy, but to really evaluate how good a team is, I think you have to view it in a 3-5 year span, because we've seen so many teams over the years have one and done seasons.

That 2013-14 Avalanche team was a perfect example.

They finished 2nd in the west and 3rd overall, but in reality that was a flukey year. They were not a good team. They had a really bad defense, Varly covered up for and bailed out their mistakes pretty much the whole season, and the whole team was riding the motivational wave of Roy's first year.

At the time, we all thought that Avalanche team was a contender. But they weren't. And the years surrounding that season proved it.

The Canucks weren't as bad as that Avalanche team, but I still maintain they were always overrated. They had some flash but they didn't have the kind of complete team that could go through four rounds in the playoffs to win it all, and that showed when they continually lost three games in a row to get eliminated in series they weren't close to winning.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think it's fair to say that for that one year a team wins or competes for the President's trophy, but to really evaluate how good a team is, I think you have to view it in a 3-5 year span, because we've seen so many teams over the years have one and done seasons.

That 2013-14 Avalanche team was a perfect example.

They finished 2nd in the west and 3rd overall, but in reality that was a flukey year. They were not a good team. They had a really bad defense, Varly covered up for and bailed out their mistakes pretty much the whole season, and the whole team was riding the motivational wave of Roy's first year.

At the time, we all thought that Avalanche team was a contender. But they weren't. And the years surrounding that season proved it.

The Canucks weren't as bad as that Avalanche team, but I still maintain they were always overrated. They had some flash but they didn't have the kind of complete team that could go through four rounds in the playoffs to win it all, and that showed when they continually lost three games in a row to get eliminated in series they weren't close to winning.
I mean one year wonders are different. But that canucks team had 5 consecutive 100pt seasons and what would’ve been 6 if it was a full season, that’s 100% a team that is good enough to be a contender.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean one year wonders are different. But that canucks team had 5 consecutive 100pt seasons and what would’ve been 6 if it was a full season, that’s 100% a team that is good enough to be a contender.

Maybe it's semantics, but I'm specifically saying they were overrated.

I think it's hard to have an objective category for "contenders" when results and hindsight come into play. The term contender is more subjective than it's given credit for.

So that's why I've been sticking to calling them "overrated." I just never thought they had a team that could win the Cup, and I'm a broken record at this point, but I think their results in the years surrounding 2011 prove that.

Also to clarify again, I don't put them in the same category as the other cinderella teams, which was the main point of my original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad