GDT: 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs (General Talk) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Potentially Rask's last game as a Bruin last night?

Yup... said it last night. I can't see him going back to Boston after the last two seasons. If he still thinks he has something in the tank, Carolina seems like a prime fit. Plus Boston needs cap room if they are to take a final swing or two with Bergeron.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yup... said it last night. I can't see him going back to Boston after the last two seasons. If he still thinks he has something in the tank, Carolina seems like a prime fit. Plus Boston needs cap room if they are to take a final swing or two with Bergeron.
Can't say I fault Boston. They got every last ounce of high level play out of Rask until someone else was ready, and now Swayman seems like the guy that is ready to take over.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Can't say I fault Boston. They got every last ounce of high level play out of Rask until someone else was ready, and now Swayman seems like the guy that is ready to take over.
I can't either just as long as they don't throw his name in the mud as he's leaving. They got a couple promising guys that can battle it out, and if it doesn't work, they have the balls to swing a deal next deadline for a bigger name guy.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I can't either just as long as they don't throw his name in the mud as he's leaving. They got a couple promising guys that can battle it out, and if it doesn't work, they have the balls to swing a deal next deadline for a bigger name guy.

Boston media has had those articles with quotes from anonymous sources written since last playoffs. Just waiting until it's official to hit send.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
The Bruins got by this season but that thinning defensive corps finally caught up to them in the playoffs. Tinordi, Clifton, Lauzon, Grzelcyk, Reilly. Not one of those guys should be playing as anything more than a #4 and some of them shouldn't even be in the NHL (Tinordi).

To be fair, Boston was missing 2 regular defensemen.

But agreed, they're not what they once were back there.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
It begins...

I know it's an excuse, and people hate excuses, but he's not wrong. There will be some additional pushback from the whole league about it after the SCF are over I'm sure. While not having Kuch for the regular season wasn't ideal for them (it wouldn't be for anyone to not have your top forward all year) and they deserve credit for getting the spot they got to without him, having that roster for the playoffs is a huge advantage, IMO. I'm guessing that the cap will be extended to include the playoffs here very soon.

Reactions: Balthazar

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I'd be fine with TB repeating even though I do hate the way they dodged the cap crunch they were in. I'd also be okay if the Islanders win it all, despite the fact they have Clusterf*** on their team. My love for Varly outweighs that asshole.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The exploit of the cap circumvention that I'd like to see changed is the buying of LTIR players for cap space. We've seen Toronto, Vegas, and Tampa (I think even Arizona) all do that and to me the acquiring of Gaborik and Nilsson is much worse than Kuch or Stammer being injured. Again, won't happen, but that is the one I'd like shut.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't care if Tampa exploited the cap with LTIR because every team tries to exploit the cap, and it's not like the Tampa GM thought to himself "well I REALLY like Tyler Johnson so our best player that has won MVP in the past is going to have surgery right before the season just so we can keep Johnson in the fold on the 4th line."

I don't see it.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I don't care if Tampa exploited the cap with LTIR because every team tries to exploit the cap, and it's not like the Tampa GM thought to himself "well I REALLY like Tyler Johnson so our best player that has won MVP in the past is going to have surgery right before the season just so we can keep Johnson in the fold on the 4th line."

I don't see it.
It's more along the lines of them having no takers for Johnson. So instead of them having to spend picks to get rid of him, they left Kutch on LTIR for longer than they had too. They were already in playoff position so no need to bring him back yet. The fact that he was magically 100% by playoff time is just too convenient. I don't doubt he was going to miss time, but I bet he could have returned much sooner. But if your Kutch and you wanna win, might as well sit out and help the team.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's more along the lines of them having no takers for Johnson. So instead of them having to spend picks to get rid of him, they left Kutch on LTIR for longer than they had too. They were already in playoff position so no need to bring him back yet. The fact that he was magically 100% by playoff time is just too convenient. I don't doubt he was going to miss time, but I bet he could have returned much sooner. But if your Kutch and you wanna win, might as well sit out and help the team.
But didn't his surgery timeline specifically say 5 months recovery time? And he came back in 5 months, did he not?

I just don't know what people are looking for here. Yes, it sucks that they're almost 20M over the cap in the playoffs based on injuries that occurred that they didn't want to have happen, but I don't think the Lightning would rather hold their star players out. I also doubt those players would rather sit than play.

Reactions: sethro109

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
With Stamkos out at the end of the season they could have played Kuch at the end.

Reactions: sethro109

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
They didn't leave him on LTIR longer than they had to?

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
With Stamkos out at the end of the season they could have played Kuch at the end.
I did not know this. I thought Stamkos played all season. I guess my conspiracy theories leave much to be desired.

But didn't his surgery timeline specifically say 5 months recovery time? And he came back in 5 months, did he not?

I just don't know what people are looking for here. Yes, it sucks that they're almost 20M over the cap in the playoffs based on injuries that occurred that they didn't want to have happen, but I don't think the Lightning would rather hold their star players out. I also doubt those players would rather sit than play.
I don't even know anymore. My understanding of the situation was all wrong as hench pointed out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I did not know this. I thought Stamkos played all season. I guess my conspiracy theories leave much to be desired.

I don't even know anymore. My understanding of the situation was all wrong as hench pointed out.

Oh don't worry, Tampa certainly timed his surgery perfectly to have this exact situation be plausible for their argument. The NHL looks into these and paperwork has to be filed on LTIR players... there are also punishments that can be handed down with abuse. That said, the NHL simply doesn't care to punish teams here. The GMs want their own flexibility (Avs included) to utilize LTIR without a ton of scrutiny.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
No they couldn't have because Kuch makes $1M more than Stammer, and that would have put them over the cap.

They had Gaborik and Nilsson both still on LTIR and they could have taxi squaded two players. Plus Rutta could have been cleared two days later instead (also on LTIR). If Tampa wanted to, they could have. They could have also activated Stamkos. There was just no real point having to face Florida anyway and they had lost home ice (not like the cared).

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango

I'd love to see a side by side comparison of this hit and the Kadri hit. Kadri did not move his arm and shoulder on his hit. Palat clearly went for the head as a primary target where Kadri did not. I am perfectly OK wiht any punishment they wish to dole out to Kadri, as long as there is consistency. a 2 minute penalty does not equal an 8 game suspension, regardless of repeat offender status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad