Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Donato just doesn't score enough to compensate for his complete lack of defensive commitment, physical play, forechecking ability and off-puck value in general. He would be useful on a team that deploys their fourth line in soft minutes to generate a little extra offense but that type of player is worth closer to league minimum than Donato's QO. There's a reason that three different NHL organizations have come to the same realization about him.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
While Jones can still be bought out (tomorrow put on waivers AND bought out), but with a few players eligible for arbitration, the Sharks will have another buyout window once all those situations are resolved.

With Hill not signed and arbitration eligible, it might be that DW won't buyout Jones until he has Hill's signature on a contract (or an arbitration awarded). (In part to eliminate the leverage other teams might put on Sharks if he had to trade for a body to fill the crease without a negotiated deal with Hill.)

N Merkley is also arbitration eligible.

So until NM and AH are signed or have arbitration awards, Jones might not get bought out.

Reactions: Ski Nautique

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I don't think it's out of the question we bring back Donato. I wouldn't qualify him at $1.9m but maybe signing him at like $1.2-$1.5m would be better.

Donato (as an RFA) is arbitration eligible. (IF QOd)

If DW does not have a good position, he may not QO Donato and let him become a UFA (as the arbitration award might be hard/impossible to swallow regarding the cap).

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
With Hill not signed and arbitration eligible, it might be that DW won't buyout Jones until he has Hill's signature on a contract (or an arbitration awarded). (In part to eliminate the leverage other teams might put on Sharks if he had to trade for a body to fill the crease without a negotiated deal with Hill.)
I think it works the other way, too. If any team thinks he is salvageable behind their defense, they would wait until he is bought out, and sign him at minimum. But, if the buyout window passes, it is possible teams give up on that, and it becomes easier to move him at 50% retention.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Getzlaf is rumored to be not close re-signing with Ducks. Maybe he could be our 3rd line center if he comes with reasonable contract. I would like to see us tank for Wright but I don't think DW will do it.

I really don't mind the idea of Getx as the 3c. I would prefer a 3c that can take some of the defensive workload from Couture but as far as dzone starts and PK.

Getz is no longer a play driver but he still brings patience, vision, and passing ability and he would add a missing attribute to the PP.

Reactions: SharksAddict

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Getzlaf is rumored to be not close re-signing with Ducks. Maybe he could be our 3rd line center if he comes with reasonable contract. I would like to see us tank for Wright but I don't think DW will do it.
I always said this team needs to get a little older.

Reactions: OffSydes

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think it works the other way, too. If any team thinks he is salvageable behind their defense, they would wait until he is bought out, and sign him at minimum. But, if the buyout window passes, it is possible teams give up on that, and it becomes easier to move him at 50% retention.

I sincerely doubt this team will retain at 50% with three seasons to go. Why bother with that level of retention when for free you get a higher savings on a buyout? If you bury him, you're only paying another 1.8 mil to do so instead of paying another team to retain on Jones. For this team in its current position, you bury Jones unless you actually plan on using the savings you'd get by buying him out.

Reactions: Sandisfan

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
Depending on what Donato is asking for, I think it's a mistake letting him walk. It's so hard to gauge what some of the newer players are able to do on this team seeing as it's such a trainwreck.

He seemed to get in Bob's doghouse quickly. No sense in bringing him back without a new coach IMO. Reminds me of DeBoer and Donskoi, granted Donkey was more productive.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Donato just doesn't score enough to compensate for his complete lack of defensive commitment, physical play, forechecking ability and off-puck value in general. He would be useful on a team that deploys their fourth line in soft minutes to generate a little extra offense but that type of player is worth closer to league minimum than Donato's QO. There's a reason that three different NHL organizations have come to the same realization about him.

Wasting yet another 3rd round pick.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Honestly better than another long-term deal for a mediocre UFA.

I'd like Getzlaf for this reason, but if I were him, I'd much rather finish my career with the Ducks or head to Vegas for a shot at a cup. It's not crazy that'd he would be their second best center either.

Reactions: SharksAddict

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yup, which makes a lot of sense. You can buyout Jones in a few weeks, you can't un-buyout Martin Jones.

There's no real downside to buying out Jones in terms of finding a suitable replacement. Literally any minimum salaried free agent goalie can do what Jones has done the past three seasons. The only real reason to do something like this is if you actually feel like you're close on trading him which seems highly unlikely. If Arizona and Buffalo don't want anything to do with him or he just doesn't want to go there, it's either buyout or burial.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I'd like Getzlaf for this reason, but if I were him, I'd much rather finish my career with the Ducks or head to Vegas for a shot at a cup. It's not crazy that'd he would be their second best center either.

I think the role Getz likely wants and the role Vegas would have available aren't the same and it doesn't seem like he is interested in a league-minimum deal which is about all Vegas could offer. Now I could easily be wrong but I suspect he isn't ready for the Spezza/Thornton role quite yet.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
There's no real downside to buying out Jones in terms of finding a suitable replacement. Literally any minimum salaried free agent goalie can do what Jones has done the past three seasons. The only real reason to do something like this is if you actually feel like you're close on trading him which seems highly unlikely. If Arizona and Buffalo don't want anything to do with him or he just doesn't want to go there, it's either buyout or burial.

What is the upside of buying Jones out right now vs. after the arbitration period?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What is the upside of buying Jones out right now vs. after the arbitration period?

Depends on if they're actually going to have an arbitration with either Hill or Merkley. If they buy out Jones now, they don't have to potentially harm their relationships with new acquisitions.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If DW is looking to make a deal to bolster the bottom/middle 6, I would be very happy if he bought low on Warren Foegele in Carolina given he wants out of Carolina for a larger role. Would love to have Foegele and Balcers flanking a new 3C come October. Could be a great 3rd line that is tough to matchup with.

Reactions: timorous me
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad