Speculation: 2021 Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If Tampa protects 8+1 and is willing to expose McDonagh, then they could possibly get away with only losing McD and probably Johnson to the draft/trade. I guess it's how much is JBB already looking 2-3 years down the road and the new contracts of Point and the 3 main rfa's. Since McD looks to still be playing great and F depth/scoring hasn't really been an issue, they likely protect McDonagh and hopefully convince Seattle to take one of TJ/Killorn and then move the other. Coleman likely gets priced out unfortunately, but I could see Tampa re-signing Goodrow and running something similar to this next year:
Palat-Point-Kuch
Joseph-Cirelli-Stamkos
Volkov/ABB-Gourde-Goodrow
Maroon-Stephens-Volkov/ABB

Or if McDonagh is lost, the F core could possibly look like this year minus TJ plus Kuch, as there may be enough room to keep both Coleman and Goodrow in this scenario. Then they could move Serg to 2LD and either give Borgman the 3LD spot or sign a cheap vet like Demers. Since McD I believe can play at a high level for at least 2 or 3 more seasons maybe they value keeping the defense stronger, but I could see them willing to work with Seattle to take him to save cap.

They don't have a choice with McDonaugh, he has an NMC. And it would be stupid to expose him, if we want to go through the whole ordeal of asking him to waive then we should trade him and get something back since he has value.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
They don't have a choice with McDonaugh, he has an NMC which means he's protected unless he doesn't want to be. And it would be stupid to expose him, if we want to go through the whole ordeal of asking him to waive then we should trade him and get something back since he has value.
McD's only got a NTC.

Reactions: Shoresy Snipes

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If Tampa protects 8+1 and is willing to expose McDonagh, then they could possibly get away with only losing McD and probably Johnson to the draft/trade. I guess it's how much is JBB already looking 2-3 years down the road and the new contracts of Point and the 3 main rfa's. Since McD looks to still be playing great and F depth/scoring hasn't really been an issue, they likely protect McDonagh and hopefully convince Seattle to take one of TJ/Killorn and then move the other. Coleman likely gets priced out unfortunately, but I could see Tampa re-signing Goodrow and running something similar to this next year:
Palat-Point-Kuch
Joseph-Cirelli-Stamkos
Volkov/ABB-Gourde-Goodrow
Maroon-Stephens-Volkov/ABB

Or if McDonagh is lost, the F core could possibly look like this year minus TJ plus Kuch, as there may be enough room to keep both Coleman and Goodrow in this scenario. Then they could move Serg to 2LD and either give Borgman the 3LD spot or sign a cheap vet like Demers. Since McD I believe can play at a high level for at least 2 or 3 more seasons maybe they value keeping the defense stronger, but I could see them willing to work with Seattle to take him to save cap.

As of now we currently have a 17 player roster and are 3.5M over for next season. So losing Johnson isn't enough and even McDonagh probably isn't enough. We could entice Seattle to trade for Johnson by saying we'll leave McDonagh exposed for them to take. That would free up the cap we need and wouldn't cost assets to move Johnson we'd just lose a really good D. I think we would be hurt more losing McDonagh than if we lost Johnson, Killorn and Palat. It's harder to replace top D than depth forwards.

For me it's time to move onto some new faces and younger players. For one we need the cheap contracts and two we have several guys that are no longer waiver exempt next year. We need to let Killorn, Johnson and Palat go for the cap and because they're replaceable. We aren't looking for our Stamkos replacement yet, we just need 30 or 40 point guys. Losing Palat will hurt but if we get 35 points from Katchouk at 750k we are much better off. Keeping McDonagh and having a strong D with Vasilevskiy should allow us to still be competitive even if we have to really on a lot of unproven young forwards.

Joseph - Point - Kucherov
Barre-Boulet - Cirelli - Stamkos
Katchouk - Gourde - Raddysh
Maroon - Colton - Stephens

If we move all 3 of the forwards we should have enough to bring back Coleman or Goodrow if we wanted so we wouldn't need to rely on one of the kids as much. We could also go after a one year free agent splash as well. With the cap getting squeezed it's time to start making tough cap moves and getting rid of three important players at one time is a big move and needs to be done, we can't afford them anymore.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
As of now we currently have a 17 player roster and are 3.5M over for next season. So losing Johnson isn't enough and even McDonagh probably isn't enough. We could entice Seattle to trade for Johnson by saying we'll leave McDonagh exposed for them to take. That would free up the cap we need and wouldn't cost assets to move Johnson we'd just lose a really good D. I think we would be hurt more losing McDonagh than if we lost Johnson, Killorn and Palat. It's harder to replace top D than depth forwards.

For me it's time to move onto some new faces and younger players. For one we need the cheap contracts and two we have several guys that are no longer waiver exempt next year. We need to let Killorn, Johnson and Palat go for the cap and because they're replaceable. We aren't looking for our Stamkos replacement yet, we just need 30 or 40 point guys. Losing Palat will hurt but if we get 35 points from Katchouk at 750k we are much better off. Keeping McDonagh and having a strong D with Vasilevskiy should allow us to still be competitive even if we have to really on a lot of unproven young forwards.

If we move all 3 of the forwards we should have enough to bring back Coleman or Goodrow if we wanted so we wouldn't need to rely on one of the kids as much. We could also go after a one year free agent splash as well. With the cap getting squeezed it's time to start making tough cap moves and getting rid of three important players at one time is a big move and needs to be done, we can't afford them anymore.
They can keep McD(which I also think is the better short to mid term option), and convince Seattle to take TJ or Killorn. Palat and Gourde are still important enough imo that losing them is a big blow(Palat then Gourde in order of importance). I don't think Katchouk, Colton or Raddysh will be good enough by next year, although perhaps Raddysh will be. Losing Coleman is unfortunate, but Palat is more valuable and they are very similar age wise. If Coleman is willing to take a discount then great, but I have a feeling a team is going to offer him more than JBB is willing to pay. I agree that Barre-Boulet and Joseph should get expanded roles next year, and if Raddysh/Colton/Katchouk earn a spot over Volkov( or if they let Volkov walk like they did Verhaeghe) then so be it.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
They can keep McD(which I also think is the better short to mid term option), and convince Seattle to take TJ or Killorn. Palat and Gourde are still important enough imo that losing them is a big blow(Palat then Gourde in order of importance). I don't think Katchouk, Colton or Raddysh will be good enough by next year, although perhaps Raddysh will be. Losing Coleman is unfortunate, but Palat is more valuable and they are very similar age wise. If Coleman is willing to take a discount then great, but I have a feeling a team is going to offer him more than JBB is willing to pay. I agree that Barre-Boulet and Joseph should get expanded roles next year, and if Raddysh/Colton/Katchouk earn a spot over Volkov( or if they let Volkov walk like they did Verhaeghe) then so be it.

I really don't think Palat is that important. I'm not saying he isn't important, he's just not important enough where I would attach a 1st to Johnson so they take him over Palat. Since Joseph's rookie year in 18/19 he has scored 19 EVG, in that same time Palat has scored 20 EVG. In that time he has a higher hits/60, takeaways/60 with less giveaways/60. Palat hasn't hit 50 points since 16/17, he hasn't hit 20 goals since 13/14, he is very replaceable. I'm not saying Joseph will be able to take that spot and do just as well I'm saying being the 3rd wheel next to Point and Kucherov is an easy fill and we should do it with someone making 700k not 5.3M.

If we lose Palat, Johnson, Killorn, Coleman and Goodrow and replace them with kids then we will have some offensive issues. But our cap situation will be a bit better off and we still have a great D. We will need to start winning games 2-1 instead. As long as we have Point, Kucherov and Stamkos we'll score some goals. If Cirelli continues to develop that's a plus so we just need guys to add depth scoring and be good two way players so the bottom 6 isn't exposed. We can't afford to resign Palat when he's due so what's it really matter if we move on from him a year earlier?

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
McD is a stud right now and it would suck to move him but it might be the right decision after this season if there is a good opportunity. Ideally with assets coming back as I feel he should have value but these days long term big deals are tough to move. With our left D of Hedman and Serg now making a bunch more it gets harder to justify keeping him long term with the potential of his play declining. There are 5 more years on his deal after this one.

From a cap management perspective obviously moving TJ is the priority. And then Gourde probably even though I love his play style and work ethic. He's just making too much unfortunately.

We need value contracts as much as possible and all these 5m deals for middle guys are tough. Pally is our #1 LW and short deal term-wise so I'd probably rather keep him but if we exposed him it wouldnt be the end of the world either.

Protect:
Hedman Sergachev Cernak Foote
Point Kuch Stammer Cirelli

(Trade McD prior or use him as bribery to take TJ and even that out whichever direction has to add).

Foote even though he might not become the stud we wanted is still young with upside and at our weakest position so I dont think we can expose him.

Then we can resign Goodrow & maybe Coleman if they're willing to sign value deals...and we just bargain shop. If we had cap to bargain shop this last offseason there were nice signings to be found.

I guess if we get rid of TJ and lose one of the other 5m forward contracts we could hang on to McD a couple more years ideally but the last 3 years of that deal might be rough. And still that's a lot of balancing ice time to get your LD minutes and shelter RD not named Cernak.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

Those 4 lines shut the Cup window down. Each line has at least one player that could bust. Eliminating Goodrow and Coleman weakens the PK and overall team defense that has already taken a hit from this off season. It does point out how dramatic things are going to get soon to remain under a frozen or decreasing CAP. Honestly those lines look similar to what Chicago had to do after there cup wins.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Those 4 lines shut the Cup window down. Each line has at least one player that could bust. Eliminating Goodrow and Coleman weakens the PK and overall team defense that has already taken a hit from this off season. It does point out how dramatic things are going to get soon to remain under a frozen or decreasing CAP. Honestly those lines look similar to what Chicago had to do after there cup wins.

So what is your plan to be competitive while also cap compliant? We need cap space and have prospects that need to be on the roster next year or we risk losing them to waivers. So right there we are going to have to find some spots. Johnson isn't playing up to his contract so moving him, even for a lesser player, isn't a negative with all that cap gain. Palat has just one year left after this so he's no longer in the plans going forward, we are just moving that end up a year. Palat is a good player still but he's a 3rd wheel to two of the league's best, he also isn't the 60 point player he was. We just need someone to keep up, retrieve pucks and provide occasional offense, don't think it's that hard to replace. Killorn will be because of his versatility as he can play anywhere in the lineup, PP and PK. We have a few kids with a jack of all trade style hopefully one pans out.

Coleman and Goodrow weren't meant to be here more than the year and a half. So losing them hurts some it's not like it was unexpected. If we move Palat, Johnson and Killorn we may have some money to keep Coleman for a year or two possibly. We would definitely have enough to keep Goodrow as he shouldn't get much money. What killed Chicago is they were too top heavy and their D fell off outside of Keith. We have more depth, they didn’t have Cirelli or Gourde as options 4 and 5. They didn't have a deep blueline like ours. Offensively we will be hit but we will need to adjust the style to a bit more defensive if the players don't have the offensive potential of the ones we lose. I want to take the chances with the kids because with the cap it's inevitable we do so might as well do it all at once.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
So what is your plan to be competitive while also cap compliant? We need cap space and have prospects that need to be on the roster next year or we risk losing them to waivers. So right there we are going to have to find some spots. Johnson isn't playing up to his contract so moving him, even for a lesser player, isn't a negative with all that cap gain. Palat has just one year left after this so he's no longer in the plans going forward, we are just moving that end up a year. Palat is a good player still but he's a 3rd wheel to two of the league's best, he also isn't the 60 point player he was. We just need someone to keep up, retrieve pucks and provide occasional offense, don't think it's that hard to replace. Killorn will be because of his versatility as he can play anywhere in the lineup, PP and PK. We have a few kids with a jack of all trade style hopefully one pans out.

Coleman and Goodrow weren't meant to be here more than the year and a half. So losing them hurts some it's not like it was unexpected. If we move Palat, Johnson and Killorn we may have some money to keep Coleman for a year or two possibly. We would definitely have enough to keep Goodrow as he shouldn't get much money. What killed Chicago is they were too top heavy and their D fell off outside of Keith. We have more depth, they didn’t have Cirelli or Gourde as options 4 and 5. They didn't have a deep blueline like ours. Offensively we will be hit but we will need to adjust the style to a bit more defensive if the players don't have the offensive potential of the ones we lose. I want to take the chances with the kids because with the cap it's inevitable we do so might as well do it all at once.
I agree with the Hawks D falling off and we will be in danger of that as well Mac is getting long in the tooth. But If it were me I would expose him and Seattle would likely take him. Then play Cernak to his off hand her is not a scoring defensman and would still be solid then you have to hope like hell that Foote progresses more have to give the kid time something we are not too good at on this board remember just a couple years ago people were ready to thro Sergi on the trash heep. Then you move one of the forwards that should open enough to get thru next year then the problem come the following year with Point needing a contract and the next year Cirelli, Sergi and Cernak again. The current feeling I get from most is that Johnson is still the guy they want moved this off season ok Next offeason you have to move Killorn and Palat to resign Point and there replacment because putting two more syracuse guys in would just leave this as a one line team. Someone posted a line up with Joseph on the top line with Point and Kuch and a 2nd line with Stammer, Cirelli and ABB and two more rookies on the 3rd line. This makes this takes this team from a 110 to 115 point team to a 95 to 100 point team maybe worse. Maybe Stammer retires after next season that would fix everything but Im not counting on that.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Why do we need to move Palat a year early when we don't need to? Doesn't matter if we lose him the following year when he's contributing as much as he is now and he fits under the cap with Killorn/Johnson/Coleman gone. Like you said, the point is to remain competitive not shed salary we don't need to and downgrade.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why do we need to move Palat a year early when we don't need to? Doesn't matter if we lose him the following year when he's contributing as much as he is now and he fits under the cap with Killorn/Johnson/Coleman gone. Like you said, the point is to remain competitive not shed salary we don't need to and downgrade.

For one I prefer to keep Killorn over Palat. Killorn has been the better player the past few seasons, costs less, is healthier and can play anywhere. Another reason to move Palat this offseason is to get assets for him. Keeping him till he's a UFA we lose him for nothing like we will with Coleman. We are already low on assets and good prospects wouldn't help to get a few back. If Seattle doesn't take Johnson then we'll most likely have to pay something to move him and that's more assets lost. If we trade Palat, have Johnson taken in the ED or traded and trade Killorn as well then we can keep Coleman or Goodrow. I feel that Joseph can play the role Palat does on the top line, it may be a small downgrade but the 4.5M in capspace is worth that risk.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I agree with the Hawks D falling off and we will be in danger of that as well Mac is getting long in the tooth. But If it were me I would expose him and Seattle would likely take him. Then play Cernak to his off hand her is not a scoring defensman and would still be solid then you have to hope like hell that Foote progresses more have to give the kid time something we are not too good at on this board remember just a couple years ago people were ready to thro Sergi on the trash heep. Then you move one of the forwards that should open enough to get thru next year then the problem come the following year with Point needing a contract and the next year Cirelli, Sergi and Cernak again. The current feeling I get from most is that Johnson is still the guy they want moved this off season ok Next offeason you have to move Killorn and Palat to resign Point and there replacment because putting two more syracuse guys in would just leave this as a one line team. Someone posted a line up with Joseph on the top line with Point and Kuch and a 2nd line with Stammer, Cirelli and ABB and two more rookies on the 3rd line. This makes this takes this team from a 110 to 115 point team to a 95 to 100 point team maybe worse. Maybe Stammer retires after next season that would fix everything but Im not counting on that.

Why would we need to play Foote on his off hand if we lose McDonagh? We could just move Sergachev up to the second pair in McDonagh spot. We would just need a 3rd pair LD which is probably the easiest D spot to find. By next season I believe Foote will be good enough to be the main guy on the bottom pair and won't need as strong a partner or as much sheltering. I'm not worried about a McDonagh decline because we aren't overusing him right now. With the D core we have we can manage his load in the coming years so he doesn't fall off. Ryan Suter is 36 and still playing at a high rate, so I think McDonagh can still be solid for 5 years.

If we move enough forwards early we could get ahead of being forced to make bad deals as the cap is a bit more managed. We can get assets for guys before they walk for free. We could sign a cheap vet free agent or two to fill a spot if a kid isn't working out. I'm not worried about the Point extension because I think it'll be just 3M or less. We could trade Killorn that summer, if we haven't yet, that 4.5M we give 3M to Point and can have two ELC players or a 1.5M vet.

I posted the lineup with those lines. How does replacing Palat with Joseph change much? Joseph's numbers per 60 are similar or in some cases better than Palat. Johnson isn't working anymore so moving him is almost addition by subtraction. Barre-Boulet can easily provide similar offense and Johnson stopped playing defense awhile ago. The 3rd line with the rookies will be hurt I agree there but Katchouk is an extremely good two way player, he could do the job of Coleman or Goodrow. Raddysh is weak defensively but has the offense to be better than Goodrow for sure and possibly Coleman. If we move enough cap out we could resign one of the two also or keep Killorn for that line. That lineup, especially if we keep all the D, isn't going to drop 20 points because we lose some depth pieces. We don't have Kucherov right now and aren't on a 20 point decline.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I really don't think Palat is that important. I'm not saying he isn't important, he's just not important enough where I would attach a 1st to Johnson so they take him over Palat. Since Joseph's rookie year in 18/19 he has scored 19 EVG, in that same time Palat has scored 20 EVG. In that time he has a higher hits/60, takeaways/60 with less giveaways/60. Palat hasn't hit 50 points since 16/17, he hasn't hit 20 goals since 13/14, he is very replaceable. I'm not saying Joseph will be able to take that spot and do just as well I'm saying being the 3rd wheel next to Point and Kucherov is an easy fill and we should do it with someone making 700k not 5.3M.

If we lose Palat, Johnson, Killorn, Coleman and Goodrow and replace them with kids then we will have some offensive issues. But our cap situation will be a bit better off and we still have a great D. We will need to start winning games 2-1 instead. As long as we have Point, Kucherov and Stamkos we'll score some goals. If Cirelli continues to develop that's a plus so we just need guys to add depth scoring and be good two way players so the bottom 6 isn't exposed. We can't afford to resign Palat when he's due so what's it really matter if we move on from him a year earlier?
I agree it's possible they move Palat after the year, as he would be the best trade piece among players they'd consider moving. I don't agree with losing all 5 of those depth guys and the team still being fine. In theory players like Joseph, Volkov, ABB, Raddysh etc could step right in, but it's a large risk and could easily do real damage to the team's chances in the short term if they don't pan out. I think if they move Palat, Johnson and Killorn let's say, if the idea is to keep the cohesion of the 3rd line together, then Tampa could run something like this next year:
Joseph-Point-Kucherov(16.7425)
ABB-Cirelli-Stamkos(14.1)
Coleman-Gourde-Goodrow(10.917, just estimating #'s, Coleman at 4, Goodrow at 1.75)
Maroon-Stephens-Volkov(2.4)

Hedman-Rutta(9.175)
McDonagh-Cernak(9.7)
Sergachev-Foote(~6, depending on what Foote signs for)
Borgman-Schenn(1.5)

Vasilevskiy(9.5)
Backup(.8-1)
Team at 22 comes in right around 81 million, give or take 100-200k, so something similar to this could be doable. They could swap the 8th dman for the 13th F with both in that 700-800k range. Anyway, I don't think they will have to lose all 5 of those key depth guys you mentioned, 2 for sure and likely 3, but in a framework similar to the one above, they could keep Killorn and still probably make 22 roster slots work or keep Palat and start with 21. They will have a few options though, hopefully not gutting all their depth.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I just find this thread interesting. My current thoughts for protection...

Vassy
Point, Stammer, Kuch, Cirelli
Heddy, Serge, Cernek

It gets interesting after that. I don’t believe McDonagh will be protected. Foote is an RFA. I think Seattle would have a 48 hour window to negotiate with him if unprotected....if that’s the player they want.

The Lightning could roll the dice since Foote controls that situation and protect three more forwards. Something like Killer, Palat and Guorde or Colton. I know the Lightning will need to part with a forward or two for cap purposes, so the question becomes do those players with the 4-5 Million contracts bring back decent returns? JBB will certainly explore that. If they do, JBB May protect 7 forwards. If not, he will go with 4 defenseman.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I just find this thread interesting. My current thoughts for protection...

Vassy
Point, Stammer, Kuch, Cirelli
Heddy, Serge, Cernek

It gets interesting after that. I don’t believe McDonagh will be protected. Foote is an RFA. I think Seattle would have a 48 hour window to negotiate with him if unprotected....if that’s the player they want.

The Lightning could roll the dice since Foote controls that situation and protect three more forwards. Something like Killer, Palat and Guorde or Colton. I know the Lightning will need to part with a forward or two for cap purposes, so the question becomes do those players with the 4-5 Million contracts bring back decent returns? JBB will certainly explore that. If they do, JBB May protect 7 forwards. If not, he will go with 4 defenseman.

Seattle will have more than 48 hours to negotiate with Foote. I don't know when the end of the season, expansion draft and free agency begins. With an RFA it doesn't matter too much as long as you tender them a qualifying offer which they will easily do, they then have to December 1st to work on a contract just like we will. So if we leave Foote exposed I don't see why they wouldn't take him as he's a young potential top 4D. They would only take McDonagh to trade him for other pieces, I don't believe he would fit their timeline with his age.

As for the forwards we should be looking at teams who have open forward spots and try to trade guys like Palat and Killorn to them for a good return and using those assets to entice Seattle to take Johnson. I think Joseph would be much more likely to be taken than Colton unless Colton just goes on tear now and in the playoffs. Joseph is 24, signed cheap next season and has shown he can be at least a 3rd liner maybe a low end 2nd one in the right situation. We really need Johnson to finish at 0.50ppg or better to make him look somewhat decent so it's easier to dump him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think the org will "game manage" Colton because I believe he has another 20+ games played to go before he'd be exposure eligible. Could be wrong on that

He doesn't meet the exposure requirements but he's still very much eligible to be picked. Most likely we expose Johnson and Maroon for the required forwards and Rutta on D. We still need a goalie to meet the requirements.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
He doesn't meet the exposure requirements but he's still very much eligible to be picked. Most likely we expose Johnson and Maroon for the required forwards and Rutta on D. We still need a goalie to meet the requirements.

I thought Spencer Martin was pegged for that, as he's a RFA and (albeit) his contract is expiring. Meaning, I thought the criteria for exposure for goalies was - under contract next season (which we have none) and/or a RFA who's expiring 20-21.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I thought Spencer Martin was pegged for that, as he's a RFA and (albeit) his contract is expiring. Meaning, I thought the criteria for exposure for goalies was - under contract next season (which we have none) and/or a RFA who's expiring 20-21.

You're right. I wasn't sure on the goalie requirements, thought they needed to be under contract next season. That helps us out big time as we don't have to resign McElhinney or trade for someone.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
The forwards are easy, defence will be interesting, you have to protect Cernak. I'm not opposed to leaving McD exposed, but he will be missed I'm sure (specially during the playoffs). I don't think Foote has done enough to gather much attention, I think his skating might turn Seattle off, but again the potential is there so maybe the go for him and hope he'll resign with them.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Skipping a bit but in all honesty, leaving Killorn, Johnson, and McDonagh exposed is fine by me because I have those 3 pegged for trades anyhow. So if any of them are passed over JFBB still needs to move them. Somehow.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I'm having a difficult time rationalizing McDonagh, personally. This team still expects to be in the midst of a Cup run going into next season. The odds of being able to win the Cup go down a good amount in McDonagh's absence. As long as this core is here and the opportunity to go for the Cup exists, this organization needs to operate that way.

Reactions: Byrddog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad