Speculation: 2021 Seattle Expansion Protection Exposure Roster Speculation Discussion Prediction Thread Part 1

Wholl get TAKEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So we not have to protest Juolevi then?

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Remember when Vegas picked Sbisa?

Here's hoping Seattle does something similar and picks up Myers or Jake.

Honestly, the player they should take is probably Motte

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Remember when Vegas picked Sbisa?

Here's hoping Seattle does something similar and picks up Myers or Jake.

Honestly, the player they should take is probably Motte

Motte will probably be protected. Based on who figures to be available and considering the salaries and cap hits, if I was their GM I'd be inclined to take Lind.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Motte will probably be protected. Based on who figures to be available and considering the salaries and cap hits, if I was their GM I'd be inclined to take Lind.
I expect the 7 forwards to be Bo, Brock, Petey, Miller, Motte as the locks. Then 2 of Gaudette, Virtanen, Lind. Virtanen, they are finding out that it is hard to move him due to the cash he's due. Majority of guys got salary pushed to next season. So, if other teams are not even willing to take Jake for a draft pick, then maybe he would pass through the ED with the $3.7 mill owed to him next season.

Bonderman is the Kraken majority owner, and his money came from an investment company, thus his non-hockey businesses didn't take a hit during the pandemic like some other owners did. But, we don't know what he is going to want Francis to spend cash wise in these next couple of seasons.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I expect the 7 forwards to be Bo, Brock, Petey, Miller, Motte as the locks. Then 2 of Gaudette, Virtanen, Lind. Virtanen, they are finding out that it is hard to move him due to the cash he's due. Majority of guys got salary pushed to next season. So, if other teams are not even willing to take Jake for a draft pick, then maybe he would pass through the ED with the $3.7 mill owed to him next season.

Bonderman is the Kraken majority owner, and his money came from an investment company, thus his non-hockey businesses didn't take a hit during the pandemic like some other owners did. But, we don't know what he is going to want Francis to spend cash wise in these next couple of seasons.

I think they'll probably protect Gaudette and also MacEwen ahead of Lind and Virtanen. With Jake they can buy him out on the cheap and save nearly 80% of his cap hit due to him being <26 years old, if they can't find a taker on a trade w/ salary retention.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Strike Holtby off the list.:naughty:

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Canucks will be in good shape, especially at forward. Hoglander is exempt. That leaves Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, Horvat....anyone else is no great loss. That speaks volumes on the depth and Benning's roster building.

In fact the Athletic wrote an article that the Canucks should protect those 4 and go after trades with teams that have protection problems and try to get players like Mathieu Joseph to fill spots with better support players

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks will be in good shape, especially at forward. Hoglander is exempt. That leaves Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, Horvat....anyone else is no great loss. That speaks volumes on the depth and Benning's roster building.

In fact the Athletic wrote an article that the Canucks should protect those 4 and go after trades with teams that have protection problems and try to get players like Mathieu Joseph to fill spots with better support players
I don't see trades between teams before the ED. If TB trades Joseph, they still lose a player to Seatle. So, is what they acquire worth the next best player that they would lose since Joseph would be gone anyways?

Carolina, I don't see trading Dmen for example because they could lose Hamilton to UFA, so if they deal a Dman like Fleury and then say Brady Skjei is taken in the ED, Carolina is only left with Slavin, Pesce, Bean, and Gardiner, vs not making a trade and letting Fleury get taken and still having Skjei to give them 5 NHL dmen.

Reactions: rypper

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I don't see trades between teams before the ED. If TB trades Joseph, they still lose a player to Seatle. So, is what they acquire worth the next best player that they would lose since Joseph would be gone anyways?

Carolina, I don't see trading Dmen for example because they could lose Hamilton to UFA, so if they deal a Dman like Fleury and then say Brady Skjei is taken in the ED, Carolina is only left with Slavin, Pesce, Bean, and Gardiner, vs not making a trade and letting Fleury get taken and still having Skjei to give them 5 NHL dmen.

If a team has five defencemen that are legitimately valuable, then yeah, there's not really a way around it. But if a team has exactly four valuable defencemen, it would be silly not to try to trade one of them for draft picks and/or prospects or for a protection-worthy forward if the seventh forward slot would otherwise be occupied by a guy that the team wouldn't really mind losing.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Christ we only have 6 skaters worth protecting

Why aren’t we acquiring two forwards and two defensemen?

Reactions: vanuck

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
You hope that there are some trades before hand to use those protective spots.

Tampa bay will have a bushel basket of players that could be available especially with them being so far over the cap. They will be in the market for young cheap players they don't have to protect and with low salaries.

The team will need many upgrades over the next two years, expansion draft and two amateur drafts
Lots of picks for the Bedard draft might be good.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

What i mean is that teams that have too many decent player to protect will try to trade them for draft picks as opposed to losing them for nothing. Blues are another team with forwards that will be exposed that are better then our pathetic bottom 6. Sanford, Blais etc

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
In 2017 we weren't in a position to lose anyone if value to Vegas. In 2021 we're still not in a position to lose anyone of real value to Seattle.

Yes this is an indictment of Jim Benning's work as a general manager.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
In 2017 we weren't in a position to lose anyone if value to Vegas. In 2021 we're still not in a position to lose anyone of real value to Seattle.

Yes this is an indictment of Jim Benning's work as a general manager.

Imagine being an NHL GM for 7 seasons and having 6 players on your roster you'd be upset to lose in an expansion draft.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I mean, yeah. We have so few quality players that we definitely have a lot of spots to acquire ED-eligible players.

The issue is Benning's mismanagement has left this team with so few liquid assets, that there isn't much we can offer in a trade. Not much in the way of pick or prospect depth.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
What i mean is that teams that have too many decent player to protect will try to trade them for draft picks as opposed to losing them for nothing. Blues are another team with forwards that will be exposed that are better then our pathetic bottom 6. Sanford, Blais etc

They'll still lose another player for nothing though. They have to, someone else will still get selected.

WIth your example of St. Louis, say they trade Sanford for a 2nd or something to the Canucks. Now Seattle goes and selects Blais. They still lose an additional player. Is it worth it to St. Louis to lost two players but add a 2nd round pick? Or just bite the bullet and lose one?

I don't think you'll see many teams galaxy-braining it this time around. They have to lose a player. They'll just accept it.

Reactions: vancityluongo

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They'll still lose another player for nothing though. They have to, someone else will still get selected.

WIth your example of St. Louis, say they trade Sanford for a 2nd or something to the Canucks. Now Seattle goes and selects Blais. They still lose an additional player. Is it worth it to St. Louis to lost two players but add a 2nd round pick? Or just bite the bullet and lose one?

I don't think you'll see many teams galaxy-braining it this time around. They have to lose a player. They'll just accept it.

It depends on the team and the situation.

If a team has several players of similar quality they're exposing, yeah they're unlikely to do anything.

If a team has - as an example - 4 quality defenders and can only protect 3, and then there is a huge dropoff to the #5 guy, they're absolutely likely to trade that player and get a 2nd round pick and then lose a worthless player in the expansion draft instead.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Good points

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It depends on the team and the situation.

If a team has several players of similar quality they're exposing, yeah they're unlikely to do anything.

If a team has - as an example - 4 quality defenders and can only protect 3, and then there is a huge dropoff to the #5 guy, they're absolutely likely to trade that player and get a 2nd round pick and then lose a worthless player in the expansion draft instead.

Or if they really think protecting their 4 quality defenders is necessary, rather than trade that player for a 2nd (which for a contending team won't help them), they'll go 4-4-1 and just lose their 5th most valuable forward instead.

In this scenario, it's really just determining whether your 4th defender or 5th forward is worth more to you, and lose the other. If a team really wants to keep everyone, it's probably better to just make a direct deal with Seattle and pay them to select a random warm body, instead of trading one of your valuable players at a discount and then still losing someone else to the ED.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Those who voted for Gaudette please CHANGE your vote as he is NO longer on the team. We are getting High, more

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
In his post-trade deadline presser Benning was asked if acquiring Bowey was so they could protect Myers and he basically confirmed that was one of the reasons.

Right now the protected list is something like Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Pearson, Virtanen, Motte, Lind, plus Schmidt, Myers, Juolevi, and Demko.

I really hope we are able to add players that would be exposed at a discount - though I realize this doesn't make sense for many teams because it just means loosing 2 quality players instead of 1. Not to mention our unforgiveable salary cap situation.

Notwithstanding these factors, I could see Benning thinking of adding a forward since our F list is even worse than our D list, but I would prefer he adds D, where there may be more or cheaper players available. We only have 3 forwards (Boeser, Horvat, Miller) and 1 D (Schmidt) worth protecting currently (maybe if Juolevi shows well in the remainder of the season he might also be worth protecting).

Maybe our list of players is so horrible, Seattle might consider Holtby if he plays ok in his remaining games.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad