Speculation: 2021 Seattle Expansion Protection Exposure Roster Speculation Discussion Prediction Thread Part 1

Wholl get TAKEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I agree with M9 here. I just look and even best case scenario I don’t see us being anything more than a fringe playoff team. Then after that or your players like a Horvat a Miller really gonna wanna stick around?
knowing that I do think our current window is closed I do think that means you need to prepare and be ready to open a window hopefully bigger and wider next time. This means having a tough talk and sitting down with your stars the Pattersons and Hughes and let them know if your timeline selling on Horvat and Miller and really setting yourself up for the future.

It’s sad that realistically benning‘s probably wasted at least 10 to 12 years of this team but it’s the reality I think we all need to realize

Reactions: ChilliBilly

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I agree with M9 here. I just look and even best case scenario I don’t see us being anything more than a fringe playoff team. Then after that or your players like a Horvat a Miller really gonna wanna stick around?
knowing that I do think our current window is closed I do think that means you need to prepare and be ready to open a window hopefully bigger and wider next time. This means having a tough talk and sitting down with your stars the Pattersons and Hughes and let them know if your timeline selling on Horvat and Miller and really setting yourself up for the future.

It’s sad that realistically benning‘s probably wasted at least 10 to 12 years of this team but it’s the reality I think we all need to realize

Just to be clear, the plan I laid out was just a hypothetical one for a new GM.

As for Benning, his job is likely on the line and while I don't expect him to buyout/trade everyone to save cap space this year I do think there is some middle ground that will be hit to accomplish his short-term goals while not crippling the future. My expectation is two buyouts (Eriksson, Virtanen) and maybe one high-ticket trade like Holtby, Schmidt, or Roussel.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Just to be clear, the plan I laid out was just a hypothetical one for a new GM.

As for Benning, his job is likely on the line and while I don't expect him to buyout/trade everyone to save cap space this year I do think there is some middle ground that will be hit to accomplish his short-term goals while not crippling the future. My expectation is two buyouts (Eriksson, Virtanen) and maybe one high-ticket trade like Holtby, Schmidt, or Roussel.

Mine scenario was a new GM in today.

As for benning this offseason... I am Bracing for the worst and hoping for the best

Reactions: m9

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
canucks can only lose mcewen, lind or gadjovic and one of those guys can be protected. i think it unlikely the canucks are madly in love with two out of three and the market value differential between those guys is negligible so to me it is just a pick'em unless seattle wants to pay the canucks to be sure one of them in particular is exposed.

what i can see is the canucks asking for a sweetener to expose juolevi or offering juolevi as a sweetener to take a contract in expansion. how big a contract would be eaten for juolevi is open to conjecture. if they don't like the three amigos above, they might bite. i think juolevi will still be waivers eligible vegas initially parked theodore in the ahl because they couldn't re-trade all the dmen they had grabbed quickly enough. seattle might see that as an advantage.

and no i am not comparing theodore and juolevi, just pointing out an nhl ready dman who can be parked in the ahl might be of value to an expansion team trying to wheel and deal.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
How realistic or desirable would it be to target one of Winnipeg's third liners via trade leading up to the expansion draft? Lowry, Copp, Appleton.
It has potential. I would rather go for Copp or Appleton. I dont know how feasible it would be to grab them though. I think they will be protecting at least Copp.

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
One thing to remember is like the vegas expansion there will be deals in place with seattle for certain teams not to trade with others.

Example - a #2 exposed player is taken by seattle instead of #1 and the other team doesn't devalue seattle's options by trading guys to other teams for cheap.

Another example might be that seattle takes Holtby with a small plus and vancouver cant make deals before the draft.

Last edited:

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
2-3 forward spots and 2 dmen spots are protecting players with little to no value, Jim is a flat out idiot if he isn’t trying to make a trades with deeper teams.

I agree he should be trying to make a deal. On the other hand, I think many in the media have overestimated how willing other teams should be to make such a deal.

I think of it this way.

A team protecting 7+3+1 stands to lose it's 12th most valuable player. That player is assumed to be lost. (I know, there will be differences in valuation, but let's assume we're valuing the players from the perspective of the team trading with the Canucks-so that other team is valuing it's own players.)

If the Canucks are trying to pick up that player and succeed, then the other team will lose not only the 12th most valuable player, but also the 13th most valuable player (which would then be picked by the Kraken.) That is, they'd lose two players, not just one. Whatever the Canucks are to give them has to be worth at least as much to them as that 13th most valuable player or the other team would be better off keeping it's 13th most valuable player and letting the 12th go in the expansion draft.

There may be good deals to be made, but nobody should be giving players away really cheaply unless their 12th player is way, way more valuable then their 13th player, so that they get can get more for trading their 12th player than they lose by losing the next player that Seattle would take.

Reactions: Nucker101 and m9

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I agree he should be trying to make a deal. On the other hand, I think many in the media have overestimated how willing other teams should be to make such a deal.

I think of it this way.

A team protecting 7+3+1 stands to lose it's 12th most valuable player. That player is assumed to be lost. (I know, there will be differences in valuation, but let's assume we're valuing the players from the perspective of the team trading with the Canucks-so that other team is valuing it's own players.)

If the Canucks are trying to pick up that player and succeed, then the other team will lose not only the 12th most valuable player, but also the 13th most valuable player (which would then be picked by the Kraken.) That is, they'd lose two players, not just one. Whatever the Canucks are to give them has to be worth at least as much to them as that 13th most valuable player or the other team would be better off keeping it's 13th most valuable player and letting the 12th go in the expansion draft.

There may be good deals to be made, but nobody should be giving players away really cheaply unless their 12th player is way, way more valuable then their 13th player, so that they get can get more for trading their 12th player than they lose by losing the next player that Seattle would take.
While I generally agree with this thinking, almost every team has players more valuable than the 11 they protect ... that are not eligible for the ED. Its amazing that Vegas did as well as they did. They were very competent in their evaluation of the talent available.

Vcr is fortunate that Podkolzin, Hughes, Hoglander, Rathbone and Dipietro are all exempt. I would put all 5 of these as more valuable than Lind Gadjovich or MacEwen. Or, at this point, Virtanen. And probably Juolevi.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Whoever winnipeg decides to leave exposed between Copp or Appleton is a good trade target. (Rather than protecting Lind or Gadjovich.)

But I also don't think Van is in a position to be moving out picks or prospects. What a position they are in.

Reactions: m9

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
While I generally agree with this thinking, almost every team has players more valuable than the 11 they protect ... that are not eligible for the ED. Its amazing that Vegas did as well as they did. They were very competent in their evaluation of the talent available.

Vcr is fortunate that Podkolzin, Hughes, Hoglander, Rathbone and Dipietro are all exempt. I would put all 5 of these as more valuable than Lind Gadjovich or MacEwen. Or, at this point, Virtanen. And probably Juolevi.
I still think Juolevi looks like he has a future and is worth protecting. I think he will continue to grow into a top four defenceman. I still agree in his pick position he should have been a top two.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I still think Juolevi looks like he has a future and is worth protecting. I think he will continue to grow into a top four defenceman. I still agree in his pick position he should have been a top two.
He should’ve went 1st overall. Straw that stirred the drink on both teams his draft year. Without him no championships.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I still think there's a chance the Kraken select Holtby, but only if the Canucks offer up some sort of 'sweetener'.

Gadjovich, Lind and MacEwen are really 'B" level players, and every team in the league has a half-dozen of those types. I think the Kraken will be looking for somebody from the Canucks who can play right now.

It would be a huge bonus if the Canucks could miraculously lose one of their truly bad contracts in this expansion draft---but just can't that happening unless the Canucks are willing to part with another valuable asset to make it happen.

It's doubtful that another Pacific Division opponent like Seattle, will be willing to do any favors for the Canucks.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
How realistic or desirable would it be to target one of Winnipeg's third liners via trade leading up to the expansion draft? Lowry, Copp, Appleton.

I think they would be good additions, but Benning's incompetence has left the Canucks with basically zero fungible assets to take advantage of opportunities like this.

What semi-valuable prospects can we offer? Basically none. What surplus picks do we have? Basically none. We're not in a position to trade this year's or next year's 1st and 2nd rounders. We don't have extra picks. We cannot trade Podkolzin or Rathbone. And after that, we don't have anything of value to offer.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

"Fortunate" as in Benning has acquired so few useful players that the Canucks cannot lose anyone of consequence in the expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad