Speculation: 2021 Seattle Expansion Protection Exposure Roster Speculation Discussion Prediction Thread Part 1

Wholl get TAKEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
Hah.

Myers is a 30 point D man who plays physical and protects the youngsters Horvat, Miller, Pettersson etc.

And his size is amazing in front of the net. We would be getting plenty back if Jim decided to move on from him.

This year there were only 26 Dmen with 30 points or more.

Myers on his best days is a slow, bad pick moving defenseman whose only going to get worse

I'd be shocked if anyone would pay a 7th for him at no retention if jb actually tried to trade him

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
pray for myers. not a bad player atm but his contract is a dirty one

His contract really isnt that bad.

I am not a fan of his. But he is nowhere as bad as this place makes him out to be. He would be an easy pickup by Seattle if we exposed him. I am definitely in favour of him being exposed. The issue is that MGMT wants to get back in the playoffs asap, so they cant afford to lose another dman (unless they had plans to go hard in free agency). I actually would love to see us shed Myers and take a crack at Hamilton.

I also think we would get at least a mid/late 2nd rounder for him in a trade.

Watch what Barrie gets this summer.... GMs will throw 7x7 or 8x8 at him. Those same GMs (and more) would easily take Myers and his contract.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I am not a fan of his. But he is nowhere as bad as this place makes him out to be. He would be an easy pickup by Seattle if we exposed him. I am definitely in favour of him being exposed. The issue is that MGMT wants to get back in the playoffs asap, so they cant afford to lose another dman (unless they had plans to go hard in free agency). I actually would love to see us shed Myers and take a crack at Hamilton.

Watch what Barrie gets this summer.... GMs will throw 7x7 or 8x8 at him. Those same GMs (and more) would easily take Myers and his contract.

So you are in favour of exposing him but also think we get at least a mid 2nd for him? How does that make sense?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

All Schmidt got Vegas was a 3rd round pick and he's a significantly better player. And this was before we knew the cap wouldn't be rising in the near future. Myers wouldn't be taken by Seattle.

Then there is the age of the two defensemen. At the time Schmidt was acquired by Benning, he was 29 years old. Myers is now 31 years old.

Last edited:

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
All Schmidt got Vegas was a 3rd round pick and he's a significantly better player. And this was before we knew the cap wouldn't be rising in the near future. Myers wouldn't be taken by Seattle.

Then there is the age of the two defensemen. At the time Schmidt was acquired by Benning, he was 29 years old. Myers is now 31 years old.

Lol look at what Savard just got from Tampa... He will likely get a contract much worse than Myers this summer from someone.

You guys are sippin on the hate koolaid and I get it... this dumpster fire of a team doesnt give us much hope to work with here but Myers is also a tree and puts up decent points. Also, although I dont agree with it, there is a "name pedigree" in the NHL and Myers is definitely a bigger name than Schmidt. Vegas also had to make that trade quick to make the Pietrangelo signing work... similar to how we got Ehrhoff so cheap back in 08 or whenever it was.

Myers does NOT have negative value imo.

Think of it this way, if Myers was a UFA this summer he would likely get a 4-5 year contract and TBH probably very close to the dollar amount he is currently making... so why would GMs shy away from his contract with 3 years remaining?

I mentioned this before, but check what Savard and Barrie get this summer. There is never a shortage of silly contracts being handed out to defensemen.

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
So you are in favour of exposing him but also think we get at least a mid 2nd for him? How does that make sense?

Im in favour of it because I dont like him that much with this team.... lol what a silly thing to point out. Obviously in bizarro world if I was the GM of the team and thought I could get a 2nd pick for him I would try to trade him before exposing him for nothing...

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I have said it before, but here we go again.

Eriksson ($1.5 M retained) a 2nd and a prospect (Lind or Gad) to Seattle for a 4th rounder. And make this part of the Seattle ED. It only cost Seattle $1.5 M, Eriksson has some value, and a 2nd is worth lots to them, and they have the cap space.

Expensive for Vancouver, but it frees up $4.5 M in cap space.

Edit - oh, and I would be interested in hearing whether they think this is a better deal for Vancouver or for Seattle.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Eriksson ($1.5 M retained) a 2nd and a prospect (Lind or Gad) to Seattle for a 4th rounder. And make this part of the Seattle ED. It only cost Seattle $1.5 M, Eriksson has some value, and a 2nd is worth lots to them, and they have the cap space.

Edit - oh, and I would be interested in hearing whether they think this is a better deal for Vancouver or for Seattle.

So they could just take Lind or Gadjovich, so it's just giving them a 2nd to take on 4.5 of Eriksson's contract. Seems fair, though Seattle might want another later pick.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Typically, signing bonuses get paid on July 1st. The ED will happen before that. So it will cost Seattle $2.5M.

I think it's a good deal for Seattle if the 2nd rounder is from this year. It's such a steep price to pay that I'm more inclined to just keep Eriksson and either hope he retires or ride the year out.

Freeing cap room is great but it's not like we're going to win the Cup freeing cap room for next season.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Typically, signing bonuses get paid on July 1st. The ED will happen before that. So it will cost Seattle $2.5M.

I think it's a good deal for Seattle if the 2nd rounder is from this year. It's such a steep price to pay that I'm more inclined to just keep Eriksson and either hope he retires or ride the year out.

Freeing cap room is great but it's not like we're going to win the Cup freeing cap room for next season.
ED is after July first this year.

July 17 – Deadline for Protection Lists for Expansion Draft (5 p.m. ET)
July 21 – Expansion Draft for Seattle Kraken (8 p.m. ET)
July 23 – Round 1 of NHL Draft
July 24 – Rounds 2-7 of NHL Draft
July 28 – Restricted Free Agent/Unrestricted Free Agent signing period begins (12 p.m. ET)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We need a 2nd and a prospect way more than we need 4.5m for next season.

I disagree in theory as this is another 'What Benning does' vs. 'What good management does' issue.

If Benning was gone and we had a new competent GM in place, we absolutely, 100% should be sacrificing futures to try and get this core back on track and re-open a contending window. It isn't what you'd want to be doing, but you need to be aggressive and not half-ass it, and making the current team better is more important than hording 2nd rounders. If you aren't aggressive, you might as well just trade Horvat now because sitting on the fence is a guarantee of ongoing mediocrity.

But with Benning running the show ... he's only going to do stupid things to make the situation worse and further cripple our situation down the road ... so we'd be better off just keeping prospects and picks.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster

I agree that the team is at the point where this makes the most sense. If say, we need some extra cap space to sign a 3C then it makes more sense to just buyout Virtanen and Holtby rather than give up real assets to make that space.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I disagree in theory as this is another 'What Benning does' vs. 'What good management does' issue.

If Benning was gone and we had a new competent GM in place, we absolutely, 100% should be sacrificing futures to try and get this core back on track and re-open a contending window. It isn't what you'd want to be doing, but you need to be aggressive and not half-ass it, and making the current team better is more important than hording 2nd rounders. If you aren't aggressive, you might as well just trade Horvat now because sitting on the fence is a guarantee of ongoing mediocrity.

But with Benning running the show ... he's only going to do stupid things to make the situation worse and further cripple our situation down the road ... so we'd be better off just keeping prospects and picks.

If there is a player (either through signing or trade), that we need to clear even further cap space to accomodate, then that is the only scenario where I see this kind of Eriksson deal necessary before next year. But I'm having a hard time thinking of who that player could even be. Like, if we made a go for Reinhart from Buffalo, it would take assets first to acquire him, and then even more to get rid of Eriksson to fit him in. That's brutal. We do not have those kinds of assets to be bleeding away.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Keep in mind that the trade scenario presented the "prospect" would be selected by them anyway so it's just a 2nd for Eriksson.

But my main issue here would be - why weren't these kind of trades considered last off-season when you had EP/Hughes on ELC's and it made sense? It just all reeks of the team taking their foot off the gas last year because they knew their jobs were stable and now when things are again in flux they try to save them. It's an awful way to run a team.

If we had new management in place I actually think they could have been very clear that the team is in a tight spot for 2021-22 due to cap commitments from the previous regime. They could have articulated to the fans that while they are going to work to make the playoffs in 2021-22, their real window of contention starts in 2022-23 and beyond and their moves will reflect that timeline.

Now they are left in a spot where management needs more flexibility this year to keep their jobs so you will get that half-ass commitment. You'll see Virtanen & Eriksson bought out to free enough money to sign 1 or 2 bottom-six forward to placate the fans.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If there is a player (either through signing or trade), that we need to clear even further cap space to accomodate, then that is the only scenario where I see this kind of Eriksson deal necessary before next year. But I'm having a hard time thinking of who that player could even be. Like, if we made a go for Reinhart from Buffalo, it would take assets first to acquire him, and then even more to get rid of Eriksson to fit him in. That's brutal. We do not have those kinds of assets to be bleeding away.

I mean for Reinhart, yeah. But we're back in Benning-land with that sort of suggestion.

If, say, Anaheim is moving a Hampus Lindholm? Hell yeah it's worth it.

Keep in mind that the trade scenario presented the "prospect" would be selected by them anyway so it's just a 2nd for Eriksson.

But my main issue here would be - why weren't these kind of trades considered last off-season when you had EP/Hughes on ELC's and it made sense? It just all reeks of the team taking their foot off the gas last year because they knew their jobs were stable and now when things are again in flux they try to save them. It's an awful way to run a team.

If we had new management in place I actually think they could have been very clear that the team is in a tight spot for 2021-22 due to cap commitments from the previous regime. They could have articulated to the fans that while they are going to work to make the playoffs in 2021-22, their real window of contention starts in 2022-23 and beyond and their moves will reflect that timeline.

Now they are left in a spot where management needs more flexibility this year to keep their jobs so you will get that half-ass commitment. You'll see Virtanen & Eriksson bought out to free enough money to sign 1 or 2 bottom-six forward to placate the fans.

You can't go back and re-do the past. Unfortunately Benning absolutely gunked things when we should have been developing into a contender over the past two seasons. The last offseason was a disgrace built on the backs of about 5 previous disgrace offseasons.

You also can't sit on the fence and keep wasting time. There are only so many years in a window and Benning's ineptness has already closed this window substantially. A 2nd round pick is going to do nothing to help us for years. You have to use it to pry back open the window.

Again, you're sitting in Benning-land. Absolutely, with Benning running the show they're going to give RNH a stupid deal to placate the fans. And we'd be better off not being aggressive and doing a Nonis and sitting around wasting a year. But if good management was in place, I disagree completely that this would be a good plan.

Getting attached to prospects and picks during a contending window is stupidity. And if you don't think this is a contending window ... start selling Millers and Horvats. Do one or the other. Don't waste years sitting on a fence embracing mediocrity.

Reactions: Hyzer

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
You can't go back and re-do the past. Unfortunately Benning absolutely gunked things when we should have been developing into a contender over the past two seasons. The last offseason was a disgrace built on the backs of about 5 previous disgrace offseasons.

You also can't sit on the fence and keep wasting time. There are only so many years in a window and Benning's ineptness has already closed this window substantially. A 2nd round pick is going to do nothing to help us for years. You have to use it to pry back open the window.

Again, you're sitting in Benning-land. Absolutely, with Benning running the show they're going to give RNH a stupid deal to placate the fans. And we'd be better off not being aggressive and doing a Nonis and sitting around wasting a year. But if good management was in place, I disagree completely that this would be a good plan.

Getting attached to prospects and picks during a contending window is stupidity. And if you don't think this is a contending window ... start selling Millers and Horvats. Do one or the other. Don't waste years sitting on a fence embracing mediocrity.

I agree that a "sitting on the fence" philosophy is bad as a multi-year plan like was seemingly the case with Nonis, but I don't mind it for one year when you know that is part of a larger and defined plan. You structure any contracts (Edler, Hamonic, a forward or two up front) as 1 year deals to give you flexibility at the deadline and then ultimate flexibility in the off-season.

Do you think that this coming season is part of a contending window? Because I do not, even if it was under a new GM. The contending window - if the right moves are made in the 18 months - is the 2022-23 season and beyond.

*Again, keep in mind that this is all under the premise of if a hypothetical new GM was in place - not under Benning.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I agree that a "sitting on the fence" philosophy is bad as a multi-year plan like was seemingly the case with Nonis, but I don't mind it for one year when you know that is part of a larger and defined plan. You structure any contracts (Edler, Hamonic, a forward or two up front) as 1 year deals to give you flexibility at the deadline and then ultimate flexibility in the off-season.

Do you think that this coming season is part of a contending window? Because I do not, even if it was under a new GM. The contending window - if the right moves are made in the 18 months - is the 2022-23 season and beyond.

*Again, keep in mind that this is all under the premise of if a hypothetical new GM was in place - not under Benning.

I think that if a good GM could clear some bad salary and make some moves for good players to fill the #3C and top-pairing defensive defender roles (and get a better head coach), yes, this team could compete next year. We wouldn't be Vegas or TB but we could be Minnesota or Florida. Demko when on is outstanding and the top-6 up front is solid. Adding a Tierney and Lindholm - which isn't impossible - would be massive.

And I don't think you can tell this group of young players that the upcoming season is basically a wasted season. It feels weak. Leadership and direction comes from the top and you want your guys to buy in as a new management group.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think that if a good GM could clear some bad salary and make some moves for good players to fill the #3C and top-pairing defensive defender roles (and get a better head coach), yes, this team could compete next year. We wouldn't be Vegas or TB but we could be Minnesota or Florida. Demko when on is outstanding and the top-6 up front is solid. Adding a Tierney and Lindholm - which isn't impossible - would be massive.

And I don't think you can tell this group of young players that the upcoming season is basically a wasted season. It feels weak. Leadership and direction comes from the top and you want your guys to buy in as a new management group.

I think without making those cap/asset clearing moves and brought back a defense along with a $3 million-ish 3C they are a fringe playoff team that probably gets bounced in a round. What you are suggesting is a team that probably makes the playoffs and maybe wins a round. I don't think that difference is enough to make one a wasted season and one not.

Plus if the plan is presented correctly I think the players would have no problem buying in as long as you followed through on the plan the following off-season. I think this team is starved for leadership that has a plan that extends beyond the next few months.

Anyways, we're kind of down a hypothetical rabbit-hole here. Unfortunately either plan is probably much better than what Benning will cook up.

Reactions: racerjoe

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Next season is just kinda a wasteland no matter who is the GM.
If you can get players to help open the real window in 22/23 then great, but its been 5 years of loui whats 1 more. Maybe use that 2nd and prospect to add a piece or do something creative expansion draft wise.
A great GM this summer could really help open the window but not for next year. Another missed playoffs and Benning is finally gone. (Right?!)

Instead we have dim jim and can only hope he doesn't make things too much worse this summer. OEL or A 6x6 rnh deal would be crippling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad