Patriots/NFL 2021 Season II: 1-2; Week 4 vs. TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Oh and for shits and giggles, while I’m here. When most people talk about Tampa it’s usually about the offense.

People always neglect the fact that they have arguably the best front seven in the NFL. Defense has been solid for years. However when you’ve got Jameis chucking up 30+ picks your defense is going to be in bad spots a lot.
That's my only point. They had a lot of talent on both sides of the ball and Tom picked a good landing spot. People are trying to make it out like Tom took a bunch of scrubs to the SB.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Oh and for shits and giggles, while I’m here. When most people talk about Tampa it’s usually about the offense.

People always neglect the fact that they have arguably the best front seven in the NFL. Defense has been solid for years. However when you’ve got Jameis chucking up 30+ picks your defense is going to be in bad spots a lot.

That's fair. I am just shooting down the false narrative that is being spun now about Brady simply cherry picked a loaded team. That is not what was being said when he signed. If he simply cherry picked a loaded team there would have been a lot more teams interested in him. Instead there was a stunning lack of interest in Brady and I think only the Pats and a couple other teams were interested.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I personally thought the WR signings were lack luster. I also hoped there would be more action and results from the TEs

OL has been atrocious and Mac is a rookie. Its still early but I see this team being 9-7 or 8-8.
The optimist sees MAYBE 10-6 but even then its a 1 and done in the POs

I did as well, but they spent big money on guys that are ill suited for the spots they want them to play. The TEs were names, but anyone that follows the sport can tell you Hunter Henry can never stay on the field. He's always dinged up and hurt and he's never played a full season. Smith's career high for receptions is 41. He's not this incredible offensive player and never has been. So while they spent money, they spent it foolishly because Bill is a really shitty judge of talent lately. Which ironically is why they were spending money to start with, since he's missed so brutally in the draft the last number of years.

Reactions: Troublesome 85

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
In the spirit of moving on, I think I may be onto something as to why the offense here stinks this season. They went out on a spending spree and brought in new guys, and on the surface it seems legit. But when you look at it and realize what they did, it's pretty much on par with the Bruins playing the elevate Coyle to second line center game. They got Agholor and Bourne, and that's fine on at first blush. But when you slot them in, Bourne is really a 3 and Agholor is really a 2. The issue is that they have Agholor playing WR1 and Bourne at WR2. They slotted up and it's simply not good enough because each guy is out of their natural spot and playing above their abilities.

I think Meyers is technically WR1, not that that changes your point. I'd say Agholor, Meyers, and Bourne could all be decent #3 WRs on a championship team. They weren't supposed to matter because it was expected to be a 2-TE offense built on a great offensive line and that hasn't been the case.

If they have an issue, it's that they lack blue chip players, which gets back to their drafting over the past 5+ years. They have no stars on offense. On defense, you've got Gilmore, who will most likely be gone next year. You can win games that way when you out-execute everyone, but they're not doing that anymore. Their margin for error is so thin now.

Reactions: LSCII

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Nah. Love ya buddy, but that's revisionist history. He didn't demand out. He wanted a 2 year commitment from the team and BB was petty and leveraged him to go year to year. After that he finally signed a deal and made the team put it in writing that the franchise tag was off the table.

The way you ignored my checkmate response was masterful. That's why you're the best.

As for this new goalpost, he asked out before the season. He went to Kraft. That story is out there now. So following 3 titles in 5 years he wanted out.

Reactions: DangleCity

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
I did as well, but they spent big money on guys that are ill suited for the spots they want them to play. The TEs were names, but anyone that follows the sport can tell you Hunter Henry can never stay on the field. He's always dinged up and hurt and he's never played a full season. Smith's career high for receptions is 41. He's not this incredible offensive player and never has been. So while they spent money, they spent it foolishly because Bill is a really shitty judge of talent lately. Which ironically is why they were spending money to start with, since he's missed so brutally in the draft the last number of years.

out of all the big money moves and signings Judon is the only one making a real impact it seems

when they signed aghalor I was like wtf cuz isnt he notorious for drops?

id still see what old ass Golden Tate is up too and drag Dante Sarnechia out of retirement

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
What was the alternative? Not try to fix the mistakes? Sit on the money and not spend it so you can call them cheap?

Still think it's way to early to start calling the TE's a bust

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The way you ignored my checkmate response was masterful. That's why you're the best.

As for this new goalpost, he asked out before the season. He went to Kraft. That story is out there now. So following 3 titles in 5 years he wanted out.

Years of practice pays off my friend...lol

Yeah, he asked out after they wouldn't give him a 2 year deal and what for him was a long term commitment. So he went to Kraft, presumably to get RKK to overrule Belichick, and when that didn't go as planned, he asked for the out and got it. I mean how many times does the guy have to beg Bill to not play games before he gets sour and wants out? Seems to me it was a long time in the making. And don't get me wrong, he's every bit as complicit as Bill is. Both of them are f***ing assholes with egos bigger than Gillette Stadium.

Reactions: EverettMike

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
How is Tampa only favored by -6.5?
I'd assume because they are pretty banged up in the secondary and Patriots defense has played fairly well for the most part.

Remember home team usually has a 3 point cushion, so it's essentially a 10 point swing, which sounds about right given the secondary issues.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Years of practice pays off my friend...lol

Yeah, he asked out after they wouldn't give him a 2 year deal and what for him was a long term commitment. So he went to Kraft, presumably to get RKK to overrule Belichick, and when that didn't go as planned, he asked for the out and got it. I mean how many times does the guy have to beg Bill to not play games before he gets sour and wants out? Seems to me it was a long time in the making. And don't get me wrong, he's every bit as complicit as Bill is. Both of them are f***ing assholes with egos bigger than Gillette Stadium.

Honestly, I think it's less complicated. I think it's about two things:

1) Guerrero. He was so pissed that his guy was kicked out of the locker room (for the most legitimate reason ever), and Tom took that as a shot at this whole TB12 brand Brady is obsessed with. He wanted special treatment and when he didn't get it he got pissed. That set the stage for him to leave.

2) Once he began entertaining the idea of leaving, it became easy to see the roster was heading in the wrong direction. Like LeBron leaving Miami after four straight finals appearances, Brady could see some lean years were coming.

If the Pats were clear Super Bowl contenders after they beat the Rams, I believe issue number one would have been resolved. But with the Pats on the down slope, issue number one made issue number two a deciding factor.

As a fan, illogical and emotional, I will never fully get over Brady wanting to leave. But objectively and fully detached I get it. Even under those parameters though I think this was just a guy who was angry and knew greener pastures existed.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Sincerely asking this. If I forced you to bet 100 dollars ont his game against the spread, how many points would the Pats need to be getting for you to bet them?

My number starts with a "2" and might go as high as 29.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I'm not sure Brady "wanted" to leave. I would never expect him to simply stay with the Patriots just because though. Probably a few different factors involved (do we even know what the Pats offered him?)...doesn't bother me in the least that he ended up signing elsewhere. I don't hold it against him. He then went on to prove his worth and more.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Sincerely asking this. If I forced you to bet 100 dollars ont his game against the spread, how many points would the Pats need to be getting for you to bet them?

My number starts with a "2" and might go as high as 29.
How many road game 20 point margins of victory are there in the NFL? Seems like a ridiculously high number to suggest in the 20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad