2021 Roster Discussion - 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Continued from 2021 Roster Discussion -- The Season Begins!!!!

The coaching staff is awful but lets not let the players of the hook. Where the hell is the leadership group? If there is no pride then that is as much of a problem. They are just rolling over and playing dead again.

Bringing in a new coach should stop the bleeding some but this group is fundamentally broken.
You don't name a 21 year old captain unless you're damn sure he's ready and has a strong supporting cast. It's laughable the way they bring in players every year and say they're going to provide veteran leadership.

Last edited:

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
It's really not as hard as you're makin it seem. 2021 1st, top 10 protected, to Seattle for the selection of Kyle Okposo.

and yes, you do use that type of pick to move that type of cap space.

I don't know why you're getting crap. If we could make that deal we need to do it immediately. As if this FO could draft a guy of value outside of the top-10 to begin with.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Pegulas essentially need to luck into hiring the Sabres' version of McBeane for any chance to salvage this iteration of the team, IMO
The general consensus down here in Charlotte when I was working at the local news (not as anyone special, but word got around) was that McBeane essentially sold themselves to the Pegulas. The Pegulas did not necessarily want them but it was McDermott who sold himself as a package and they probably had some knowledge of the Russ Brandon shitstorm coming so they went with it. Just rumors, but it would make sense considering the Pegulas have been clueless in every other hire they've ever made.

Member 308457

Better him go walk, if you don't want another potential anchor contract. He's not so young anymore and he has a history of injuries, that's enough for me not to extension Hall by 4-5 years.

Somehow, these former "stars" like Moulson, Okposo, Skinner and Hall heard that the Buffalo Sabres give fat, easy paychecks and all they have to do is regress and endure the losing.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
It's really not as hard as you're makin it seem. 2021 1st, top 10 protected, to Seattle for the selection of Kyle Okposo.

and yes, you do use that type of pick to move that type of cap space.

There is no reason to do this. All the Sabres need to do is waive Okposo next year. He can then decide if he wants to play in Rochester for two years to collect the last $6 million on his contract. If he decides to play in Rochester I would welcome him there with open arms. He could captain the Americans for two years and show the young guys how to be a pro (something that Okposo unquestionably is). The Sabres would save, I believe, $1,050,000.00 in cap space each year and his Buffalo roster spot would be taken by a vet like Reider or Sheahan at $700k (ish) or by a kid on an ELC (Quinn, Peterka, Ruotsalainen, etc). There is no reason to give up a significant asset to get rid of the contract. Unfortunately, there is no indication that the organizational leadership (Adams/Krueger) have the courage to waive him.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Can we just trade our team to Seattle and start fresh with an expansion draft?
I really wont be surprised if we're behind them. I don't think they'll be Vegas level but they've had a management team, scouts, and an analytics team with nothing to do but prepare for the past year

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I don't know why you're getting crap. If we could make that deal we need to do it immediately. As if this FO could draft a guy of value outside of the top-10 to begin with.

I don’t know what you tried to write. This didn’t make sense to me.

There is no reason to do this. All the Sabres need to do is waive Okposo next year. He can then decide if he wants to play in Rochester for two years to collect the last $6 million on his contract. If he decides to play in Rochester I would welcome him there with open arms. He could captain the Americans for two years and show the young guys how to be a pro (something that Okposo unquestionably is). The Sabres would save, I believe, $1,050,000.00 in cap space each year and his Buffalo roster spot would be taken by a vet like Reider or Sheahan at $700k (ish) or by a kid on an ELC (Quinn, Peterka, Ruotsalainen, etc). There is no reason to give up a significant asset to get rid of the contract. Unfortunately, there is no indication that the organizational leadership (Adams/Krueger) have the courage to waive him.

Also an option, but one that doesn’t really save much.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Trade all upcoming UFAS with any value. Bench KO. Play the young guys, see what we have.

Try to acquire a LD such as Ekholm if it's possible.

Did i mention - fire RK & hire Gallant?

Reactions: jshalt31

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Also an option, but one that doesn’t really save much.

The issue is that Seattle is unlikely to want a top-10 protected pick from Buffalo given their history.

If it is top-10 protected forever, Seattle may not get that pick until the 2030s.

2012 is the last time the Sabres pick was outside the top 10.

Reactions: elchud

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

It was originally brought up as just our 2021 1st round pick in general. The additional Top-10 protected pick was brought up later when it was criticized. So people were complaining about giving up a potential top 3-5 pick just to get Okposo's contract off the books, which is not the best use of a big value asset and a waste of draft pick for a guy that can play with limited and favorable minutes, unlike how he's being used today.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Terrible use of assets doing this, Okposo has two years left.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
The issue is that Seattle is unlikely to want a top-10 protected pick from Buffalo given their history.

If it is top-10 protected forever, Seattle may not get that pick until the 2030s.

2012 is the last time the Sabres pick was outside the top 10.

I could be wrong but doesn't the protection only last the 1 year?

So if we win the lottery the following year or something after keeping our top 10 pick this year, it would still go to Seattle.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I could be wrong but doesn't the protection only last the 1 year?

So if we win the lottery the following year or something after keeping our top 10 pick this year, it would still go to Seattle.

It is all part of the negotiation.

Regardless, giving up a 1st just to get out from under the last two years of Okposo's deal is poor asset management. Buying out Okposo or sending him to the AHL is preferable to giving up a 1st when the Sabres are going to be bad for the next few seasons.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It is all part of the negotiation.

Regardless, giving up a 1st just to get out from under the last two years of Okposo's deal is poor asset management. Buying out Okposo or sending him to the AHL is preferable to giving up a 1st when the Sabres are going to be bad for the next few seasons.
This

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
you don't do that. if you do it smart you do a Lupul

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

In probable makes more sense to send him to Rochester next year then buy him out the following summer. The $2M signing bonus he's due this summer limits the amount money saved via a buyout until then. Option 4 seems to have the best balance of actual money saved vs cap hit savings over the next 4 years.

Option 1: Status Quo
Actual Money PaidCap Hit
2021$4M$6M
2022$4M$6M
2023$0 $0
2024$0 $0
Total$8M-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Option 2: If Okposo is bought on this summer
Actual Money PaidCap Hit
2021$3M$5M
2022$1M$3M
2023$1M$1M
2024$1M$1M
Total$6M-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Option 3: If Okposo is sent to Rochester for 2 years
Actual Money PaidCap Hit
2021$4M$4.875M
2022$4M$4.875M
2023$0 0
2024$0 0
Total$8M-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Option 4: If Okposo is sent to Rochester for 1 year then bought out in 2022
Actual Money PaidCap Hit
2021$4M$4.875M
2022$1.333M$3.333M
2023$1.333M$1.333M
2024$0 0
Total$6.666M-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
In probable makes more sense to send him to Rochester next year then buy him out the following summer. The $2M signing bonus he's due this summer limits the amount money saved via a buyout until then. Option 4 seems to have the best balance of actual money saved vs cap hit savings over the next 4 years.

Option 1: Status Quo
Actual Money PaidCap Hit
2021$4M$6M
2022$4M$6M
2023$0 $0
2024$0 $0
Total$8M-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Option 2: If Okposo is bought on this summer
Actual Money PaidCap Hit
2021$3M$5M
2022$1M$3M
2023$1M$1M
2024$1M$1M
Total$6M-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Option 3: If Okposo is sent to Rochester for 2 years
Actual Money PaidCap Hit
2021$4M$4.875M
2022$4M$4.875M
2023$0 0
2024$0 0
Total$8M-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Option 4: If Okposo is sent to Rochester for 1 year then bought out in 2022
Actual Money PaidCap Hit
2021$4M$4.875M
2022$1.333M$3.333M
2023$1.333M$1.333M
2024$0 0
Total$6.666M-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I think it depends on what happens with the team as a whole.

Example - if Eichel is traded for futures there is no point spending to the cap. So you may as well have Okposo around & get it over with.

Alternatively - if they decide to go for it - trying to move him for assets is still the best idea IMO.

EmeraldCitySabre

Yeah, we've got uniforms and everything....
Apr 10, 2010
The Claw
According to Dreger, Adams is working the phones hard right now to make a trade.

It better be to gain assets for our pending UFAs.

But I suspect it’s a desperate hail mary attempt to save the season. Which means he can’t see what the primary problem is. Or he’s not allowed to address it.

:facepalm:

Yes, lets bring in some different players that Krueger can't coach.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I think it depends on what happens with the team as a whole.

Example - if Eichel is traded for futures there is no point spending to the cap. So you may as well have Okposo around & get it over with.

Alternatively - if they decide to go for it - trying to move him for assets is still the best idea IMO.

At a minimum I'd send him to Rochester. I think repeatedly running KO out there producing mediocre results creates a bad environment for the kids pushing for an NHL spot.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
At a minimum I'd send him to Rochester. I think repeatedly running KO out there producing mediocre results creates a bad environment for the kids pushing for an NHL spot.

I'm not condoning playing him every night.

If keeping him around it's as 13/14F.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad