2021 NHL Fantasy Draft

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Send in your divisional rankings, top 4 in each division will move on. Please use 2020-2021 divisions.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
2 teams not posted so I’ll hold off on voting

Would be nice if we didn't have to go scrolling through the rosters thread. Which division is Seattle in? Which of the current 31 teams is not in this? I feel like you're gonna have a hard time getting votes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Llamamoto

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
:rangers

Jakub Vrana (3.350) - Sebastian Aho (8.460) - Brendan Gallagher (3.750)
Jason Zucker (5.500)
- Pierre-Luc Dubois (5.000) - Josh Bailey (5.000)
Warren Foegele (2.150) - Radek Faksa (3.250) - Brock McGinn (2.100)
Jordan Martinook (2.00) - Luke Glendening (1.80) - Tyler Pitlick (1.75)

Jonas Brodin (4.167) - Colton Parayko (5.500)
Mark Giordano (6.750)
- Travis Hamonic (1.250)
Gustav Forsling (0.700)
- Henri Jokiharju (0.925)

Mackenzie Blackwood (2.800)
Ilya Sorokin (2.000)

Cap Hit: 67,501,917
Cap Space: 7,498,083

:stars

Zach Hyman (2.250) - Mika Zibanejad (5.350) - Mark Stone (9.500)
Jason Robertson (0.795) - Ryan Getzlaf (8.250) - Timo Meier (6.000)
Robby Fabbri (2.950) - Adam Henrique (5.825) - Filip Zadina (0.894)
Tobias Rieder (0.700) - Riley Sheahan (0.700) - Travis Boyd (0.700)

Ivan Provorov
(6.750) - Matt Dumba (6.000)
Ryan Lindgren (0.925) - Erik Karlsson (11.500)
William Lagesson (0.725) - Tucker Poolman (0.775)

Anton Khudobin
(3.333)
Jake Oettinger (0.925)

Cap Hit: 74,847,500
Cap Space: 152,500

Here are my teams if it makes voting easier, although I think a voting thread would help a lot.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I was a little disappointed that VGK were voted 7th. But I was biased because I drafted the players, surely the 7th was a result of performance compared to, say, Colorado voted 2nd.

So I wanted to see just how much my bias was skewing my appreciation for the team I drafted.

Colorado: Forwards 337 total games—85 goals/127 assists
Defense 159 games—12 goals/62 assists

VGK: Forwards 339 total games—91 goals/114 assists
Defense 181 games—19 goals/48 assists

VGK has a slight advantage in goals; Colorado in assists (the difference in games played by defense is because Borgen only has 4 games this season)

When I voted I know it was highly subjective, glad to see it was for everyone in the game.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I was a little disappointed that VGK were voted 7th. But I was biased because I drafted the players, surely the 7th was a result of performance compared to, say, Colorado voted 2nd.

So I wanted to see just how much my bias was skewing my appreciation for the team I drafted.

Colorado: Forwards 337 total games—85 goals/127 assists
Defense 159 games—12 goals/62 assists

VGK: Forwards 339 total games—91 goals/114 assists
Defense 181 games—19 goals/48 assists

VGK has a slight advantage in goals; Colorado in assists (the difference in games played by defense is because Borgen only has 4 games this season)

When I voted I know it was highly subjective, glad to see it was for everyone in the game.

I liked Vegas - thought you had a solid D. Goaltending was alright but not awesome, Halak is capable for sure though.

I wonder if Laine's recent slump hurt your team - I liked the top six, wasn't high on the bottom six but Zacha has had a better season than I expected him to, except lately. Still producing. Your division was tough for me to rank.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I wasn't as disappointed that Carolina didn't get in, but 7th for both teams was really illogical. So again I compared the team I drafted to the team that finished 2nd.

Carolina: 88 goals from forwards, 13 goals from D
Chicago: 75 goals from forwards, 8 goals from D

I kinda understood that folks saw a team with Cirelli at 1C and just moved on—but is there really that much difference between Cirelli and Karlsson? Besides Carolina definitely had the best/deepest D in the Central.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I wasn't as disappointed that Carolina didn't get in, but 7th for both teams was really illogical. So again I compared the team I drafted to the team that finished 2nd.

I kinda understood that folks saw a team with Cirelli at 1C and just moved on—but is there really that much difference between Cirelli and Karlsson? Besides Carolina definitely had the best/deepest D in the Central.

Ferraro/Romanov/Subban is not a good 2/3/4 imo.

Oh, and did you ever say what the restriction you went with was?

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
@42 jerks

hurricanes.png

Domanik Kubalik (3.7M)—Anthony Cirelli (4.8M)Teuvo Teräväinen (5.4M)
Joel Farabee (925k)
Yanni Gourde (5.17M)Martin Necas (863k)
Trevor Moore (775k)
Derick Brassard (1M)Troy Terry (1.45M)
Michael Raffl (1.6M)
Eetu Luostarinen (898k)—Mathieu Perreault (4.125M)

Mario Ferraro (925k)Drew Doughty (11M)
Alexander Romanov (894k)
P.K. Subban (9M)
Calvin de Haan (4.55M)
Jani Hakanpaa (750k)

Linus Ullmark (2.6M)
Scott Wedgwood (700k)

:hawks
Andre Burakovsky - William Karlsson - Mitch Marner
Anthony Duclair - Jack Hughes - Travis Konecny
Marcus Foligno - Travis Zajac - Josh Archibald
John Leonard - Jujhar Khaira - Rocco Grimaldi

Travis Sanheim - Charlie McAvoy
Nick Leddy - Adam Larsson
Caleb Jones - Nick Holden

Antti Raanta
Jake Allen

The problem definitely was not your forwards. To counter what you said, the reason I ranked Carolina was 6th was actually because their D only beat Nashville from that division. It is outright bad. Doughty had a horrible year last year and while he's rebounded somewhat, I'm still not confident enough that he can carry that group. Romanov has fancy numbers, until you compare them to the rest of Montreal, and every time I've watched him he looks like a #5 with room to grow, but who isn't quiteee top 4 level yet. I also definitely don't feel comfortable with PK Subban as your number 2D anymore (or 3 if that's how you have him) and Ferraro is nowhere near good enough to carry him. One of the two should be on your bottom pair IMO. Now, Hakanpaa-De Haan is a real nice bottom pair.

Furthermore, 1C Cirelli isn't the problem, but Gourde, and Brassard as your other top 9Cs is the problem. Gourde should be a 3C IMO. Add in Moore and Terry, and that L3 just seems way too potential based rather than results based. I like the team, but they were in a toss-up division, and didn't stand out anywhere to justify being ranked higher. I though they'd end up 3rd or 4th prior to making my personal votes, but as I was going through team by team I struggled to justify them over those I ranked ahead.

With Vegas, I think Laine slump definitely hurt you unfortunately, Comtois with a better 1C I'd have been okay with in the top 6 (or MAYBE L1) so I am okay with that. Again, victim of division I think. It's bad luck, teams were all so similar this time though, I'll have to permit trading next time to eliminate parity.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020

To add to what has already been said,

I think it is important to remember this is not solely based off this year. So posting goals/points of players in various siuations over half a short season doesn't tell a whole lot.

The problems on Carolina are
1) The centers
2) The top-4 D I don't think is nearly as good as stated (clear best in divsion)
3) Ullmark in net is below average compared to most teams in this (I am a Sabres fan, I know)

Reactions: hockeynorth

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
this, idek who is #2 and who is #4
Ferraro is clearly #2—sure Doughty wasn't great last year, but the game clearly said build the best team this year and Doughty is one of the top 5 (maybe top 3) RDs this season. Ferraro is actually a really good fit with Doughty. Subban gets undervalued because his name recognition is so high, but he is playing 22+ minutes a night and his level would be above-average as 2nd pairing. I won't argue about Romanov as I haven't seen him enough, but flip him and deHaan—it happens on teams quite often. Even with Romanov/Subban as 2nd pairing, I don't see the argument the D is worse than Florida (Edler/Gustafsson 2nd pairing).

As to Ullmark, again I will point out he has a winning record the past two seasons in front of the Sabres. He isn't Vasi, but he is definitely solid.

Carolina's 2nd line has 3 players who have all been ppg for the entire month of March. Gourde is playing some of his best hockey, which makes him a strong 2C. Brassard/Luostarinen actually make the team solid down the middle—I particularly like the PK options (the game did instruct us to consider the entire team).

I enjoy the game so don't want to antagonize anyone. But I will say go back and look at the Oct. game. Had one team and it lost in the first round. One of the criticisms was middle six (which consisted of Farabee, R. Smith, Kapanen, Schmaltz, Hughes, and Joseph—who have all played excellent this season).

Last edited:
Reactions: Panda Bear

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Doughty is close to Team Canada first pair form again.

Edit: well, maybe second pair.

Last edited:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Ferraro is clearly #2—sure Doughty wasn't great last year, but the game clearly said build the best team this year and Doughty is one of the top 5 (maybe top 3) RDs this season. Ferraro is actually a really good fit with Doughty. Subban gets undervalued because his name recognition is so high, but he is playing 22+ minutes a night and his level would be above-average as 2nd pairing. I won't argue about Romanov as I haven't seen him enough, but flip him and deHaan—it happens on teams quite often. Even with Romanov/Subban as 2nd pairing, I don't see the argument the D is worse than Florida (Edler/Gustafsson 2nd pairing).

As to Ullmark, again I will point out he has a winning record the past two seasons in front of the Sabres. He isn't Vasi, but he is definitely solid.

Carolina's 2nd line has 3 players who have all been ppg for the entire month of March. Gourde is playing some of his best hockey, which makes him a strong 2C. Brassard/Luostarinen actually make the team solid down the middle—I particularly like the PK options (the game did instruct us to consider the entire team).

I enjoy the game so don't want to antagonize anyone. But I will say go back and look at the Oct. game. Had one team and it lost in the first round. One of the criticisms was middle six (which consisted of Farabee, R. Smith, Kapanen, Schmaltz, Hughes, and Joseph—who have all played excellent this season).
Like I said, Doughty has rebounded somewhat, but I do not think he can carry the rest of that blue line. I'm just gonna use your example here even though it's my own, personally I think Chicagos blueline is full of players who've been much better than Carolinas this year. And I really don't feel comfortable with Gourde as a 2C. Too many guys I didn't feel comfortable with, if they were more sprinkled in I'd have felt a lot better.

Yes, your team from October (like many i.e. Paralyzers, BeLeafings) would look MUCH better today, I totally agree. It'd have been fun to wait on voting a few months.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
@42 jerks

hurricanes.png

Domanik Kubalik (3.7M)—Anthony Cirelli (4.8M)Teuvo Teräväinen (5.4M)
Joel Farabee (925k)
Yanni Gourde (5.17M)Martin Necas (863k)
Trevor Moore (775k)
Derick Brassard (1M)Troy Terry (1.45M)
Michael Raffl (1.6M)
Eetu Luostarinen (898k)—Mathieu Perreault (4.125M)

Mario Ferraro (925k)Drew Doughty (11M)
Alexander Romanov (894k)
P.K. Subban (9M)
Calvin de Haan (4.55M)
Jani Hakanpaa (750k)

Linus Ullmark (2.6M)
Scott Wedgwood (700k)

:hawks
Andre Burakovsky - William Karlsson - Mitch Marner
Anthony Duclair - Jack Hughes - Travis Konecny
Marcus Foligno - Travis Zajac - Josh Archibald
John Leonard - Jujhar Khaira - Rocco Grimaldi

Travis Sanheim - Charlie McAvoy
Nick Leddy - Adam Larsson
Caleb Jones - Nick Holden

Antti Raanta
Jake Allen

The problem definitely was not your forwards. To counter what you said, the reason I ranked Carolina was 6th was actually because their D only beat Nashville from that division. It is outright bad. Doughty had a horrible year last year and while he's rebounded somewhat, I'm still not confident enough that he can carry that group. Romanov has fancy numbers, until you compare them to the rest of Montreal, and every time I've watched him he looks like a #5 with room to grow, but who isn't quiteee top 4 level yet. I also definitely don't feel comfortable with PK Subban as your number 2D anymore (or 3 if that's how you have him) and Ferraro is nowhere near good enough to carry him. One of the two should be on your bottom pair IMO. Now, Hakanpaa-De Haan is a real nice bottom pair.

Furthermore, 1C Cirelli isn't the problem, but Gourde, and Brassard as your other top 9Cs is the problem. Gourde should be a 3C IMO. Add in Moore and Terry, and that L3 just seems way too potential based rather than results based. I like the team, but they were in a toss-up division, and didn't stand out anywhere to justify being ranked higher. I though they'd end up 3rd or 4th prior to making my personal votes, but as I was going through team by team I struggled to justify them over those I ranked ahead.

With Vegas, I think Laine slump definitely hurt you unfortunately, Comtois with a better 1C I'd have been okay with in the top 6 (or MAYBE L1) so I am okay with that. Again, victim of division I think. It's bad luck, teams were all so similar this time though, I'll have to permit trading next time to eliminate parity.
Ferraro has been carrying Burns/EK all season.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Thanks for the discussion. I definitely understand the points about Subban in particular—he was mostly an afterthought and did lessen Carolina's overall D.

I don't really have a problem with where Carolina finished—was just pointing out that despite the restriction (repeating letters in every players name—the "Aa" team) the team was as productive as teams that got voted higher.

I was disappointed that VGK didn't make the playoffs. All the usual criticisms weren't really applicable. It seems like almost the whole problem is not liking Laine on the 1st line.

Centers are above average: Couturier, Nelson, Zacha, Grant

Goalie: Halak is playing slightly above his career quality this season.

D (dare I say it) is really strong: Dumoulin/Ekblad is a good 1st pairing. Miller's talent and Murphy's steadiness should work well on the second pairing. Forbort has been surprisingly good this season and Schultz is a good option for PP2.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Well this was a weak showing from me I guess. Didn’t think my Ottawa team was that great but thought my Ducks team would go final 4.

Redemption in the next one

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
this team that someone made during the off-season never made the playoffs

according to roster thread it has:

4 - 1st liners
4 - 2nd liners

1 - 3rd liner
3 - 4th liners

3 - #1/2 dmen
1 - #2/4 dmen

2 - bottom pair

Artemi Panarin - Paul Stastny - Alex Tuch
Max Pacioretty
- Gabriel Vilardi - Dustin Brown
Andrew Mangiapane - Eric Staal - Mikael Granlund

Eric Robinson - Tyler Bozak - Nicolas Aube-Kubel

Shea Theodore - Adam Fox
Adam Pelech - Matt Roy

Jordan Oesterle - Justin Schultz

Ilya Samsonov
Aaron Dell

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
this team that someone made during the off-season never made the playoffs

according to roster thread it has:

4 - 1st liners
4 - 2nd liners

1 - 3rd liner
3 - 4th liners

3 - #1/2 dmen
1 - #2/4 dmen

2 - bottom pair

Artemi Panarin - Paul Stastny - Alex Tuch
Max Pacioretty
- Gabriel Vilardi - Dustin Brown
Andrew Mangiapane - Eric Staal - Mikael Granlund

Eric Robinson - Tyler Bozak - Nicolas Aube-Kubel

Shea Theodore - Adam Fox
Adam Pelech - Matt Roy

Jordan Oesterle - Justin Schultz

Ilya Samsonov
Aaron Dell

Your roster has great pieces on it but it's probably because an NHL team with that C core would get destroyed.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Your roster has great pieces on it but it's probably because an NHL team with that C core would get destroyed.

Vegas is a cup contender with Chandler Stephenson as 1c. Minnesota is a dark-horse with Eriksson-Ek

Neither team has a comparable dcore

also you're right, easier to draft in these with a top 5 pick (mcdavid, draisaitl, mackinnon, matthews, crosby)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad