2021 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I want Simon Edvinsson, he is the guy for me. He's the high end defensemen who is Swedish to continue pushing. If we trade it for an established player or goalie, that's fine too. I like Wallstedt a lot, but not to the point of picking him in the top 15.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I think I read somewhere they might not even do a draft this year and just do two next year.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I want Simon Edvinsson, he is the guy for me. He's the high end defensemen who is Swedish to continue pushing. If we trade it for an established player or goalie, that's fine too. I like Wallstedt a lot, but not to the point of picking him in the top 15.
Beniers or bust! Perhaps Adams will trade this pick to TDL if we get close to the playoffs.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
upload_2021-2-17_14-34-21.jpeg

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
So who do you have as your current preferences with the season spiraling down the toilet?
If you're partial to adding talent to the blueline in the top 5, you're in luck as there's about 5 potential candidates in the running. You have Luke Hughes the bigger brother size wise of Quinn but a much better 2-way defender. Then there's UofM tower of Power that is a prognosticator's dream to turn into a 6'6" number 1. Do you like offense well Clarke can rack up points. How about Euro reliability like Saab/Volvo in Edvinsson.
Now if you prefer forwards the only ones really getting hype are Beniers, not as high end skilled but COMPETE. Eklund the Swedish C/LW that's putting up numbers in the SEL, very Raymond like. Then there's Johnson who oozes talent but IMO way too similar to what we already have.
Finally if you like big Swedish goalies there's Wallstedt but IMO Askarov was more worthy of a top pick

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
My top-10 with lots of optimism.

1. Matthew Beniers (C) - O'Reilly type of player. The type of player that helps you win cups. Not the most skilled guy but I have nothing bad to say about him.
If Drafted by Sabres: Traded for bad prospects and cap dumps.

2. Brandt Clarke (RD) - Mobile, offensive defenseman. Has a lot of good skills to push play offensively but often leads to chances against.
If Drafted by Sabres: Coach tries to turn him into a defensive D and he ends up losing confidence and being bad in both zones.

3. Luke Hughes (LD) - One of the youngest in the draft. Not as dynamic as Quinn Hughes but still very good offensively. Skates like a Hughes, is big unlike a Hughes. Has defensive issues at times like Quinn.
If Drafted by Sabres: While Jack and Quinn becomes stars, Luke fails to live up to the hype of his brothers while becoming a middle of the road defender in the NHL.

4. Owen Power (LD) - Huge kid that skates very well for his size. Has huge potential and nice offensive skills but is still raw at the NCAA level (especially in his defensive play).
If Drafted by Sabres: Has a Tyler Myers-esque rookie year followed by regression to be a defensively unreliable bottom-4 D.

5. William Eklund (C/LW) - Probably the smartest player in the draft and uses it to light up the SHL. Small but deceptive and skilled.
If Drafted by Sabres: Fans beg for him to be given a chance to drive his own line as the 2C but instead he gets stapled to Eichel's wing year after year as the lack of depth continues to lead to loss after loss.

6. Jesper Wallstedt (G) - Huge Swedish goalie killing it in the SHL who is super calm and composed all the time.
If Drafted by Sabres: Changes his playing style to play like Ullmark and flops around like a fish out of water while only becoming a 1B.

7. Kent Johnson (C/LW) - Most fun player in the draft with his elusiveness, hands, vision. Lots to work on to round out his game needed though in terms of speed, defense and physicality.
If Drafted by Sabres: Becomes Casey Mittelstadt 2.0.

8. Fabian Lysell (RW) - Super speedy winger with a non-stop motor and lots of offensive skill. Lack of size and strength holds him back a bit.
If Drafted by Sabres: Non-stop motor dies when he comes here. Becomes Alex Nylander 2.0, is traded for a Jokiharju-esque young D who shows promise before regressing as always.

9. Simon Edvinsson (LD) - Mobile, big Swedish D who is always looking for offense. Defensive game can be brutal at times with his lack of awareness.
If Drafted by Sabres: Becomes worse than the bad version of Dahlin in his own zone costing the team multiple goals per game.

10. Aatu Raty (C) - Former #1 favourite. Good two-way player but confidence and offensive game is up and down (currently trending up).
If Drafted by Sabres: Kid with confidence issues has his problems intensify when he is rushed and comes out slow while a tired fan base is writing him off. Never recovers and becomes a bottom-6 C.

There, I have warned you all.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
One of Power, Hughes, Edvinsson or Lambos would probably make sense.

Last edited:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I am looking for a defensemen with the 1st round pick. Time to build from the back out on the next rebuild. Lets add more power behind Dahlin, Borgen, Joki and hopefully Samuelsson but I would be ok with Beniers.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I didn't want to talk about the draft, but it's time.

This draft isn't great. If the Sabres were a playoff team, it's the type of draft where to trade the pick. The top of the draft is loaded with D. In terms of prospects available, it reminds me of 2012.

That all said, I typically go in early on a player. Last year it was Lundell. This year it's Matt Beniers. He's got ROR's skillset with Mike Peca's attitude. You take that kid if he's available, no matter where you're picking, and you don't look back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad