GDT: 2021 NHL Entry Draft & Trade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Kuemper at 50% retained would offer the Avs a lot of flexibility this off-season.
I’m the biggest Kuemper fan there is but if Kuemper is our #1 we need someone more durable than Francouz as our backup just because of DK’s struggles staying healthy. That likely means the cap flexibility we save with Kuemper’s retention is then filled by whoever backs him up anyway (unless Holtby takes a sweetheart 1 year deal or something).

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
So the Avs shouldn’t sign Mackinnon, Rantanen, or Makar to their next contracts?

I don’t think it’s the same situation tbh.

MacK and Makar are top 3 in their positions. Mikko, at worst, is a top 5 winger in this league. You build around them. They always had to be signed and will still be elite players for their next deals.

Next biggest contract would hopefully be a really good goalie.

Reactions: Belgican

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don’t think it’s the same situation tbh.

MacK and Makar are top 3 in their positions. Mikko, at worst, is a top 5 winger in this league. You build around them. They always had to be signed and will still be elite players for their next deals.

Next biggest contract would hopefully be a really good goalie.
I’m just making a point. People don’t want to sign Landy because the contract won’t be good in 5-6 years, yet we’re going to sign Makar and Mackinnon till they’re 36 and those contracts will be far worse than Landys most likely.

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
So the Avs shouldn’t sign Mackinnon, Rantanen, or Makar to their next contracts?
Have to see what they are asking for and what they are worth when the time comes. Not that simple

If Gabe thinks he is worth $75-$80 million over the next 8 years, and the reality is he is worth about $40 million and the Avs try to bend and offer $50 million that's the line.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Okay that’s fine, but take a look at what Friedman thinks Blake Coleman would get in UFA (6x5)…at that rate just keep your Captain.

Now let’s look at trades…anyone worthwhile that would actively help the Avs will not cost us in the Kaut/Bowers/Ranta tier. We’re looking at the Byram/Newhook tier. And honestly we kind of need their cheap ELCs because they appear to be NHL caliber now.

Now that all said, if a Jack Eichel could only be had with Newhook and a 1st you do that…but that’s not the price. We’ve already seen insane trade prices; or we’ve seen Joe miss out on a legitimate Landeskog-level replacement in Buchnevich.

He cost to fill these holes if both leave are going to be expensive, and it will cost us things that we’d like to keep in order to continue contending. I continue to personally believe the best result for Joe is to make Landeskog the priority, and then turn to Gru…I feel there are more replacement level options in UFA for Gru than there is for Landy, and in addition to that I don’t think it’d cost as much to find a G in a trade as it would to find a legitimate Top6 LW option

That's why I think the Avalanche will largely stick to the trade market. A GM like Ken Holland might give Coleman that contract, but it won't be Joe Sakic. Since Roy left, Sakic has only nibbled around the edges in free agency - Bellemare, Calvert, Cole, Donskoi, Nichushkin, etc. - while building the rest of the team via trade.

As you said, Byram and Newhook's ELCs will be huge moving forward (not to mention their upsides!) - I don't see Sakic moving on. But he's worked magic in the past with 2nd round picks and still has all of his 1st round picks.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Saad over Rakell I'd agree...both in a vacuum and in real life where we can just signed Saad versus having to trade assets for Rakell.

FF9 I'd put in a different level. He's a true star offensively - a cut above Saad or Landeskog for that matter. And he's a good two-way player. And he's got 28 goals and 52 points in 71 career playoff games as the focal point of a moribund Nashville offense that has always lacked a truly star centerman for him. I see FF9 as a guy who can rack up 35-40 goals on our big line or drive the second line by himself (albeit with slightly lesser pure production). He's a difference maker. The problem is Nashville will require an absolute haul to deal him and then we'd have to sign him long-term which leaves us in exactly the same place as with Landeskog.
Forsberg is definitely more skilled and has the ability to put up 60-70 points for us each year. He’s better offensively than Saad and clearly also produces in the playoffs. Not sure about how good he is defensively, but we’re gonna need that hard-nosed defense and physicality that we’ll be missing if Landy leaves.

But as you said - we’d then have to sign Forsberg and I’m just not willing to pay both assets AND cap space for him.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
It’s a business, you’ve gotta do what’s best for your family, you never know what’s gonna happen in the future etc etc etc.

Despite all that, I am extremely disappointed in Landy at this point. He’s the captain. This is his team and has been for 8 years now. There’s a reason why Tampa, Pittsburgh, and Detroit were all (at least arguably) dynasties, and that’s in large part because their stars were willing to take a little less to get their teams across the finish line.

Mikko took a little less, Cale took a little less, Mack said he’s take less. Gabe buddy, it’s your turn. If not, then you can go somewhere else to chase the money, have no chance at winning and ultimately be miserable.

Reactions: AvsWraith

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
Unless they move Fleury/Lehner and other cap to get him,
Signing Martinez puts them exactly at the cap.

Even if they move Fleury that only gives them $7M of space. Eichel is $10. I guess they could free up another $3M somehow

On the other hand if them getting Eichel costs them Fleury, someone else that is good, draft picks, etc then that too is good for us.

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
It’s a business, you’ve gotta do what’s best for your family, you never know what’s gonna happen in the future etc etc etc.

Despite all that, I am extremely disappointed in Landy at this point. He’s the captain. This is his team and has been for 8 years now. There’s a reason why Tampa, Pittsburgh, and Detroit were all (at least arguably) dynasties, and that’s in large part because their stars were willing to take a little less to get their teams across the finish line.

Mikko took a little less, Cale took a little less, Mack said he’s take less. Gabe buddy, it’s your turn. If not, then you can go somewhere else to chase the money, have no chance at winning and ultimately be miserable.
Yep

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Guy waived his NMC. I think they’ll give him every opportunity to get healthy and give it one more go. If EJ gets injured again I think he’s done.
I know Sakic is giving EJ another chance...he's displaying a lot of loyalty to the guy. Which makes absolutely zero sense, given how he's playing hardball with the Avs' captain, Landeskog, who has been every bit as loyal to the club as EJ. If Sakic had to make business decisions with someone this offseason, the guy to do it with was the guy who doesn't contribute much to the team....EJ. It's an idiotic decision.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

It's too bad he wasn't able to set up his family and children for life on the 41+ million he's already made in his career. A 7x7 would bump that number to 90+ million career earnings. He definitely needs that extra 10-19 million dollars, even if he has to go to a bottom feeder to do it.

I won't judge a guy for trying to take care of his family, but come on... Gabe is well past that.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
I know Sakic is giving EJ another chance...he's displaying a lot of loyalty to the guy. Which makes absolutely zero sense, given how he's playing hardball with the Avs' captain, Landeskog, who has been every bit as loyal to the club as EJ. If Sakic had to make business decisions with someone this offseason, the guy to do it with was the guy who doesn't contribute much to the team....EJ. It's an idiotic decision.
Sakic : I can’t give you term, you probably will decline, let’s see what you’re worth in 4 years and I will give you a fair contract

Landy : but but but EJ isn’t worth 6M anymore so buy him out and give me some more

Sakic : wut :huh:

Reactions: cinchronicity

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
With Vegas, you never feel like they’re truly out of it for any player.

Pardon the lame pun, but they push their chips into the middle and go all-in.

Players want to play, sign, and extend in Vegas.
Right, I guess if they want to give up multiple players that are key contributors and draft picks they can. Any team can do that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad