2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The 2021 draft is supposed to be a weak draft compared to the last few years as well (as of now). I would not be shocked if we have atleast 1 more 1st round pick as a result of taking some cap from another team.

I'm not sure if I would call it weak.
It just seems like there isn't as much of a clear cut high end prospect(Lafreniere, Byfield, Stützle etc.) like you had in this years draft.

Though, it has very good defensive prospects in the top 10(would love to0 add Owen Power) and I wouldn't mind us netting another first rounder(or more) to get someone like local kid Conner Roulette of the Thunderbirds.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm not sure if I would call it weak.
It just seems like there isn't as much of a clear cut high end prospect(Lafreniere, Byfield, Stützle etc.) like you had in this years draft.

Though, it has very good defensive prospects in the top 10(would love to0 add Owen Power) and I wouldn't mind us netting another first rounder(or more) to get someone like local kid Conner Roulette of the Thunderbirds.
I actually meant weak more from a depth perspective. There were really good picks to have this year in in the 15-65 range. Not sure if this is the case for our draft.

The bigger concern I have really is how the lack of playing time for a lot of prospects hurts us. Both in the development of the kids as well as scouting.

That being said, I am hoping Francis had the scouts focus a lot of the 2021 draft right from the start which may give us an edge because of more time put into looking at those kids. However, the lack of playing time really hurts the kids in their development.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I hope you guys get Owen Power because I believe not only he's the best player in the NHL draft, but I think he'll be the defenseman to build the D around for the future. Reminds me of Chris Pronger.

But in hindsight, I hope you guys get a player that makes an amazing name for the franchise. Another guy I like is Carson Lambos.

But if a team deserves Shane Wright I think Seattle does. If not Seattle, Detroit or Ottawa.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I hope you guys get Owen Power because I believe not only he's the best player in the NHL draft, but I think he'll be the defenseman to build the D around for the future. Reminds me of Chris Pronger.

But in hindsight, I hope you guys get a player that makes an amazing name for the franchise. Another guy I like is Carson Lambos.

But if a team deserves Shane Wright I think Seattle does. If not Seattle, Detroit or Ottawa.

Shane Wright is a 2022 draft eligible player not 2021. And Not only we would have to miss the playoffs for our rookie year in the NHL and we would have to also win 2022 lottery which would be out right chance of slim if we miss the playoffs our first year.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Shane Wright is a 2022 draft eligible player not 2021. And Not only we would have to miss the playoffs for our rookie year in the NHL and we would have to also win 2022 lottery which would be out right chance of slim if we miss the playoffs our first year.

I am fully aware of Shane Wright being a 2022 draftee...

If you notice I do different topics in that post alone. But be glad I said that, I hope Seattle gets a good and fair start in the NHL.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I am fully aware of Shane Wright being a 2022 draftee...

If you notice I do different topics in that post alone. But be glad I said that, I hope Seattle gets a good and fair start in the NHL.

it would help if you specified that you were to separate them from getting people confused. Some may think you were talking about the 2021 draft..

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Some interesting news.

It seems like the league is really interested in pushing the 2021 entry draft back to 2022 to hold two drafts next year.
What they still are discussing is if they'd hold the Draft Lottery for the 2021 Draft this summer or later.

Overall it would be quite the bummer to start out without being able to use those draft picks on prospects but overall it gives us a better chance to scout those players.

Though, it could also mean that teams are less likely to trade 2021 picks during the expansion draft.

Also, they're talking about a change in the lottery system that would prohibit teams for having consecutive drafts with top 3 picks, meaning that if you're in the top 3 one year the best pick you could get the year after would be #4.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Some interesting news.

It seems like the league is really interested in pushing the 2021 entry draft back to 2022 to hold two drafts next year.
What they still are discussing is if they'd hold the Draft Lottery for the 2021 Draft this summer or later.

Overall it would be quite the bummer to start out without being able to use those draft picks on prospects but overall it gives us a better chance to scout those players.

Though, it could also mean that teams are less likely to trade 2021 picks during the expansion draft.

Also, they're talking about a change in the lottery system that would prohibit teams for having consecutive drafts with top 3 picks, meaning that if you're in the top 3 one year the best pick you could get the year after would be #4.

That would be a bummer for sure to not have an expansion draft this year. I do think that Seattle should be exempt from that consecutive pick rule.

But it is what it is. I get their reasoning but having 2 drafts for next year seems stupid to me.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
That would be a bummer for sure to not have an expansion draft this year. I do think that Seattle should be exempt from that consecutive pick rule.

But it is what it is. I get their reasoning but having 2 drafts for next year seems stupid to me.

The entry draft is being considered to be pushed back a year. Expansion draft has to happen here or how else will we start next season.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The entry draft is being considered to be pushed back a year. Expansion draft has to happen here or how else will we start next season.
Right. Ofcourse. Expansion draft is a given. I am guessing the GM's have expressed concerns over the entry draft because of:

a) Prospect development because of COVID
b) Scouting limitations because of COVID

I think the draft is generally that big of a deal for casual fans. But for folks like us (pretty much every one on the forums) it is.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Right. Ofcourse. Expansion draft is a given. I am guessing the GM's have expressed concerns over the entry draft because of:

a) Prospect development because of COVID
b) Scouting limitations because of COVID

I think the draft is generally that big of a deal for casual fans. But for folks like us (pretty much every one on the forums) it is.

while its unlikely no matter who we draft we'll see them on the NHL roster right away but that doesn't mean we won't draft someone that can play in the AHL right away and can be called up in case of injuries.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
while its unlikely no matter who we draft we'll see them on the NHL roster right away but that doesn't mean we won't draft someone that can play in the AHL right away and can be called up in case of injuries.
Ofcourse. Even at top-5 pick is not guaranteed to start in the NHL. Keep in mind that there are more likely to play in the junior leagues than the AHL unless their previous seasons were in Europe or WHL.

If you are playing in juniors then you don't really play in the AHL. You are basically NHL or juniors.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ofcourse. Even at top-5 pick is not guaranteed to start in the NHL. Keep in mind that there are more likely to play in the junior leagues than the AHL unless their previous seasons were in Europe or WHL.

If you are playing in juniors then you don't really play in the AHL. You are basically NHL or juniors.
The top 5 in 2019 draft, none made any sort of impact in the NHL as rookies last season in J. Hughes, Kakko, Dach. Under 30 points in 70 games. In reality, all should have been returned to their amateur leagues or move up to the next level such as NCAA for Hughes.

This draft, I don't think anyone is expected to make the jump to the NHL. Powers has the size, but seems like there are things about his game that a team would want him to iron out before moving onto the NHL.

This draft lacks the high end forwards of the past few drafts at the top of the list. 2017 draft, their top 5 is pretty good with picks 3-5 being the best in Heiskenen, Makar, Pettersson. Hirscher is a solid C, but not elite, and Patrick if he overcomes his migraines I would expect to become a two way 2C (similar to Bo Horvat IMO). But, the remainder of that 2017 draft has been meh, so far.

2021 doesn't have the 2017 top end, but appears to have better overall talent. Plus it's much harder to evaluate with limited games this season and no playoff action from last season.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The top 5 in 2019 draft, none made any sort of impact in the NHL as rookies last season in J. Hughes, Kakko, Dach. Under 30 points in 70 games. In reality, all should have been returned to their amateur leagues or move up to the next level such as NCAA for Hughes.

This draft, I don't think anyone is expected to make the jump to the NHL. Powers has the size, but seems like there are things about his game that a team would want him to iron out before moving onto the NHL.

This draft lacks the high end forwards of the past few drafts at the top of the list. 2017 draft, their top 5 is pretty good with picks 3-5 being the best in Heiskenen, Makar, Pettersson. Hirscher is a solid C, but not elite, and Patrick if he overcomes his migraines I would expect to become a two way 2C (similar to Bo Horvat IMO). But, the remainder of that 2017 draft has been meh, so far.

2021 doesn't have the 2017 top end, but appears to have better overall talent. Plus it's much harder to evaluate with limited games this season and no playoff action from last season.
Agreed.

I think with most prospects you want to err on the side of caution. Give them the best chance to succeed. We have the advantage of being an expansion team. As long as the management is realistic and does NOT expect a Vegas like showing right off the bat.

Also, we have development and training camp before the players start playing 'real' games. Gives them atleast some idea on how ready the prospect/pick will be.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The NHL will change the Entry Draft rules, but it won't happen before the 2022 Entry Draft.

They also will hold the 2021 Entry Draft as usual, meaning with the current rules and just a couple days after we had the Expansion Draft.

BTW: Not changing the lottery rules or draft date is also interesting for us regarding to the expansion draft, given that teams should be more willing to part with 2021 picks given the small sample size available scouting wise.

Silkytentacles

Mar 9, 2021
Oregon
I’m really curious to where gm Ron Francis goes with this pick. He talked about hockey iq being his top look which I think is the most important trait to have for an elite player

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That much? Didn't think it was that large in terms of issues.
Some things would be logically simple:

CHL - you retain rights for 2 years before they have to re-enter the draft. So, if draft is pushed to 2022, it's still a 2021 draft, thus they should re-enter the 2023 draft if they are not signed.

But, a big one was service time before UFA because if you push the draft by a year to 2022, then no one has a chance to earn a year towards ufa in 21-22 season. So, PA sugested that this draft class should only require 6, not 7 years of NHL experience to qualify for UFA.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The NHL has approved changes to the Entry Draft Lottery.

1. The number of picks determined by lottery draws will drop from three to two starting in 2021.
  2. A team winning the lottery can only move up a maximum of ten spots starting in 2022.
  3. A team can only win a draft lottery twice in a five-year period starting in 2022.

Starting this year only the top two spots will be drawn and therefore the worst team can only drop to #3.

Starting next year teams can only jump up to ten spots(if winning the lottery), which means a team at #12 could only climb to the #2 spot at best.
Also, teams will only be able to win the lottery twice within five years.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
All those new rules make a whole lot of sense. Holds back tanking, while limiting the absurdity of a decent team getting the #1 pick. I don't think they went far enough with the maximum number of spots though.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
One more thing.

Looking at Tankathon and the new rule changes it seems like we're now guaranteed a top five pick(before it was 1- 6) in this years draft, given that you can only drop two spots.

BTW: Does anyone know when the draft lottery will be held?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad