Speculation: 2021 NHL Draft thread

What Panthers should do their 2021 1st round draft pick?

• Draft best Center available ( no matter what role )

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Chayka doesn't project to be much more than a defensive dman who is being advertised even on the NHL's website as... "He's a lot better when he keeps it simple," a scout said, according to The Hockey News. "I'm trying to figure out how his game will translate at the next level. I don't think he's a puck-moving guy. Maybe he's a tweener, where he's more of a shutdown guy."
Daniil Chayka NHL Draft Profile | DRAFT
If folks want another potential Gudbranson then this is the guy.

That's a potential quality top 4 two-way D. He's not another Gudbranson.
"I wouldn't characterize him as a physical defender."
"Offensively, Chayka has the tools to be a gifted player"
-Josh Frojelin

Gudbranson has no puck moving ability or even puck skills for that matter. He's just a big body that hits and fight s. Chayka is a smooth skating rangy two-way guy, exactly the kind of top D prospect we need.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
The BPA where the Panthers pick is probably Samuel Helenius considering his point totals, player type and being a solid PKer. The downside seems to be that he plays the game hard and in the process takes a lot penalties. He's projected to go in the 2nd round but I think he could easily go in the 1st round.

William Strömgren with the 2nd round pick.

I admire your positiveness with Helenius.
But comparing him to Roope Hintz is absurd.

Helenius isn't Hintz type or caliber player at all.
And if Panthers really wants Helenius mid 1st round ( TOP25 )
IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG place and too high to draft him.

And why Panthers should draft again one Finnish center more when
they already have Barkov, Lundell, Luostarinen and Lammikko.

If / when Panthers BPA will be a dman then Zito better take that dman without hesitation.
Yes Helenius has NHL qualities ( huge size etc ) and bloodlines ( his father Sami played in NHL )
but GM's don't draft bottom6 centers in first round quite often.

Helenius will be long term project type pick
and there's never any guarantees how that type pick pans out.
As promising Helenius is he's still a bit raw and he's at least 2-3 yrs away from NHL

I know Jari Kekalainen has a lot to say on that who gets drafted to Panthers.
But even Kekalainen cannot prefer or favor his fellow countrymen's
no matter how promising or good they are.

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Helenius isn't Hintz type or caliber player at all.

So he's nothing like Hintz (which is true, he's not a carbon copy of him) and we should instead pick him up on the 3rd round where Hintz also got picked...
The bottom line with the #23 pick is that ppl want to play it safe when there's no reason for it since all of these guys are three year projects. Thus my thinking is that why not try find hidden gems. Who cares if he's center... teams are stockpiling centers because good ones are hard to find.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So he's nothing like Hintz (which is true, he's not a carbon copy of him) and we should instead pick him up on the 3rd round where Hintz also got picked...
The bottom line with the #23 pick is that ppl want to play it safe when there's no reason for it since all of these guys are three year projects. Thus my thinking is that why not try find hidden gems. Who cares if he's center... teams are stockpiling centers because good ones are hard to find.

Have we been stockpiling good defense though?
Ekblad has 4 years left (I'd like to think he stays if Barky does), Weegar and Gudas with two.
Forsling may get a 2-4 year deal.
Gotta hope one of Koly/Gildon/Ludvig become a #3LD. Or two of them can be at least #4's
Outside that, we need big help in this department.
It's been flashing red for years.
C and W are fairly well stocked, same with G.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Ekblad has 4 years left (I'd like to think he stays if Barky does), Weegar and Gudas with two.
Gotta hope one of Koly/Gildon/Ludvig become a #3LD. Or two of them can be at least #4's

I'd reckon that the scouting dept & mgmt is ranking and drafting based on potential instead of position. No point in drafting RDs to address depth needs if they think that the Cats are set with Ek and Weegs on the right side for the next five years or so. imo there's an abundance of players for lesser roles in teams that it doesn't make sense for teams to play it safe in the draft. Well, I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all answer for this... there's pros and cons for drafting by potential vs. position.

Koly might be on the block if Forsling is the type of top4 dman we'd wish Koly to develop into one day. Gildon probably gets the nod in the training camp and Ludvig starts the season in Charlotte.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Reactions: BabyBennettov

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
By the way does NHL.com have any live broadcast or live coverage of 2021 NHL draft's 1st round.
I'm tired to find piracy streams which are lagging or blurry or does have other technical issues.

Edit
Do we need own live follow / live update thread for 2021 NHL draft
or should we post all draft related stuff in this draft thread what moderators think about this?

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
By the way does NHL.com have any live broadcast or live coverage of 2021 NHL draft's 1st round.
I'm tired to find piracy streams which are lagging or blurry or does have other technical issues.

Edit
or should we post all draft related stuff in this draft thread what moderators think about this?
There will be a live thread in the main board's but we can also put this one live if you all would like.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL

Edit
If you get ESPN, it's on ESPN2.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

Flyers dropped assets to dump Ghost.....then dumped more assets to replace him with Ristolainen.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lmfao Im f***ing done.

Reactions: 16Skippy

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

Flyers dropped assets to dump Ghost.....then dumped more assets to replace him with Ristolainen.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lmfao Im f***ing done.

I think Risto is better than he gets credit for but that is big yikes.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Stats don't take into account players' situations or injuries or whatnot. He's been in a shit organization for his entire career, lets see what he does in Philly.

edit

But yeah that's a bit steep

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
True, but there's nothing to indicate that he's worth a 1st as a UFA next year

Yeah and didn't see that it's a pretty high 1st. It's a steep price but again, Risto was considered a stud just a few years back. You never know what a change of scenery does.

But Fletcher now kind of has to re-sign him and will get bent on that deal too.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Yes. By any reasonable definition we have been stockpiling D.
Ekblad is here long term.
Forsling, Weegar and Gudas for short term.
Connauton, Nutivaara and Stralman are still on the books.
Kiersted, Ludvig, Gildon, Koly, Carlsson in the pipeline.
We're letting Keeper walk because of it, and probably letting Juulsen walk too.
We already got rid of an NHL ready prospect in Stillman.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I would be very pleased with Lambos, Ceulemans, Raty or Chayka at our spot, would consider it a pretty big win…

Bourgault, L’Heureux from the Q wouldn’t be bad either, but not really needed IMO…

Still think we should trade the pick for the right deal !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad