2021 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
BPA all the way.

I'm ok with a forward or Dman. Dman because dmans hold lots of value. Forward because in 2 more seasons, Horvat and Miller will be UFA's. Miller is probably going to bounce and Horvat maybe no bounce, but to have extra forwards coming up will be great.

adding a right D shooter can complete our composition though.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Would like some feedback from you guys on Carson Lambos.

He's moved way up for me after watching a bunch of footage.

Has top pairing potential IMO. Smooth powerful explosive skater and skilled. Competes hard and has a highly projectable frame for a big minute all situations guy. Feel like his injury status has him flying under the radar a bit.

He's my number 1 underrated guy in the draft. If it wasn't for injuries he would have made the U-18 team and scouts would have drooled all over him.

Also had his season in Finland cut short because of the corona.

Seeing as no one talks about him on this thread, come to the Prospects board.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
He's my number 1 underrated guy in the draft. If it wasn't for injuries he would have made the U-18 team and scouts would have drooled all over him.

Also had his season in Finland cut short because of the corona.

Seeing as no one talks about him on this thread, come to the Prospects board.

Yeah, he should be gone in the top 15. I actually think he compares favorably to Dan Hamhuis, but with a bit more offensive flair at the same age. I think it's very likely he'll plays in the NHL, but his ceiling will depend on his offensive game translating to the NHL level (duh :laugh:), but if all goes well he could be a solid #2D that plays both special teams, and provides 35+ points a season. Defiantly could be a steal if he falls into the late 1st.

Reactions: Bubbles

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Could be but I have berniers at 1 and eklund at 2 (what he did in shl in his draft year is insane and has been underrated by the media), I personally think the d-men are somewhat overrated in this draft. Nobody has really blown me away, hughes and clark seem to be the most interesting dmen with upside, I havent been that impressed by powers from the footage i seen.

This might actually be a good draft to trade down from or trade up to a top 2 pick. But probably hard to pull off as this might be a draft where many teams have their own favourites.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Did a bunch of reading and watched a bunch of video and I honestly have Brandt Clarke at first overall.
I have him at 2 behind luke hughes. From what I’ve seen Luke looks like a 6’2 clone of Quinn. He has the same offensive instincts and defensive warts where he doesn’t move his feet and plays lazy. scouting reports say he is better defensively than Quinn but not as good offensively. I haven’t seen that yet but even if we end up with a bigger Quinn Hughes, that’s probably the best player of the draft.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
My issue with Luke is the ankle injury - apparently there is severe tendon damage and I think that's way to risky. There are also questions around his hockey sense, but it's the injuries that are the main thing for me.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
Could be but I have berniers at 1 and eklund at 2 (what he did in shl in his draft year is insane and has been underrated by the media), I personally think the d-men are somewhat overrated in this draft. Nobody has really blown me away, hughes and clark seem to be the most interesting dmen with upside, I havent been that impressed by powers from the footage i seen.

In your opinion, who are the players with the highest ceilings in this draft? Due to mismanagement of picks we desperately need to score another home run because our prospect pool looks awful right now.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I have him at 2 behind luke hughes. From what I’ve seen Luke looks like a 6’2 clone of Quinn. He has the same offensive instincts and defensive warts where he doesn’t move his feet and plays lazy. scouting reports say he is better defensively than Quinn but not as good offensively. I haven’t seen that yet but even if we end up with a bigger Quinn Hughes, that’s probably the best player of the draft.
Wow. I don’t think there’s any way luke ends up being the best player from this draft.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Luke Hughes is still on the board when it comes for the Canucks to draft, they're probably 'damned if they do' and 'damned if they don't"

They'll be under intense pressure to draft him for family reasons....but if they pass, then it also becomes 'a family issue'.

As with any draft, the only thing you can do is pick the BPA. But whoever they pick, he will always be compared with the youngest Hughes brother. Their careers would inevitably be linked.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
My current top 10:

1. Clarke
2. Hughes
3. Beniers
4. Power
5. Eklund
6. Johnson
7. Sillinger
8. Guenther
9. Lysell
10. Edvinsson
HM; McTavish, Pinelli, Ceulemans

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm almost as much or more interested in who the Canucks draft with their second rounder, as who they might pick in the top-10.

It's almost a given that they're going to get a good prospect with their first round pick.

But in the second round, the order of selection reverts back to regular season points. So it probably means another pick in the 32-40 range. There's bound to be good players falling down the board, simply because they haven't played or received any draft-year exposure.

Sam Consentino on Sportsnet pointed out that 'some' but by no means 'all' NHL teams invested some scouting resources on 17-year old players who weren't eligible for the 2020 draft. Makes you wonder which category the Canucks scouting falls into?

But man oh man, it would really be something if they could uncover another Hoglander in the second round.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If the top rated players I think the safest guy is Beniers in that what you see is what you will get. Solid 2 way game. Not Barzal/Petey level offense, so a touch between them and Horvat/RyJo. Kind of a low end 1C. If you have him and Bo as your 2 top C then you need really good wingers to have enough offense.

most of the D could be a 1st pairing or anchor the 2nd pairing. Little more variance in what they can be.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
My issue with Luke is the ankle injury - apparently there is severe tendon damage and I think that's way to risky. There are also questions around his hockey sense, but it's the injuries that are the main thing for me.

An interesting comparison to Peyton Krebs. Both are regarded as great skaters with Luke considered elite like his brother Quinn.

As long as there's no pain, I'm actually not as concerned with Luke. With a forward like Krebs, any loss of power causing him to lose a step in speed can have considerable consequences. With a Dman like Luke who skates a lot like Quinn, I don't think that's much of a concern.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
My current top 10:

1. Clarke
2. Hughes
3. Beniers
4. Power
5. Eklund
6. Johnson
7. Sillinger
8. Guenther
9. Lysell
10. Edvinsson
HM; McTavish, Pinelli, Ceulemans

I like this. I am not as sure about Eklund or Hughes, both of whom I would drop a bit, but the rest, I like more than most scouting lists. Well done- we will see

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Would like some feedback from you guys on Carson Lambos.

He's moved way up for me after watching a bunch of footage.

Has top pairing potential IMO. Smooth powerful explosive skater and skilled. Competes hard and has a highly projectable frame for a big minute all situations guy. Feel like his injury status has him flying under the radar a bit.

I was focused this year on D, Lambos is a guy that the canucks need the most if we draft by filling holes. Obviously it wouldnt hurt to have Clarke too to fill the RHD slot, but chances are hes gone by the time the 6th or 7th pick comes along. I also worry about another transition D in the back. I do not believe OJ will be anything more than a bottom pairing guy. Rathbone Schmidt and QH is three LHD in the back already.... where will LH fit? Lambos is an organisation need, I compare him with a solid guy like Brodin, remember Hamhuis was over a point per game in the W, Lambos ceiling is lower.

I think Lambos will be underrated by many because of his injury this year, and hes not exactly a sexy pick with soso offense. Ideally, canucks trade down to 12-14 to pick him, like what Philly did with York in '19 and get a early-mid second rnd pick in the process. Lambos (to a lesser degree Chayka) has great mobility and is reliable at ES and PK, I think Lambos can play point too, his offense is underrated but its not bad, he did look a bit overwhelmed at the liiga though so at best a #2 but I think he is a good bet to be top 4.

For the canucks:
1. trade up for Clarke
2. Powers
3. trade down for Lambos
4. Luke Hughes
5. Eklund
6. trade for low first for Chayka.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I haven’t had enough access to any of these prospects to have an educated opinion on who to take but didn’t Peyton Krebs suffer the same injury pre-draft. He fell but it hasn’t slowed his development. He’s been very good this season judging by the stats across the WHL, AHL, and Making his NHL debut.

If he’s the best player you take him. Modern medicine is pretty amazing.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I haven’t had enough access to any of these prospects to have an educated opinion on who to take but didn’t Peyton Krebs suffer the same injury pre-draft. He fell but it hasn’t slowed his development. He’s been very good this season judging by the stats across the WHL, AHL, and Making his NHL debut.

If he’s the best player you take him. Modern medicine is pretty amazing.

I hear you, but I mean, the flip side of this argument is Nolan Patrick, y'know?

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Wow. I don’t think there’s any way luke ends up being the best player from this draft.

Yeah theres some really wild takes here every year. I do think he is one of the better dman, but i dont see best player in the draft.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
In your opinion, who are the players with the highest ceilings in this draft? Due to mismanagement of picks we desperately need to score another home run because our prospect pool looks awful right now.

Since berniers and eklund are my 1 and 2 I am going to say them, with berniers i really see a larger brayden point. Johnson and clarke might have the most flash, but johnson just looks slow in my viewings as far as urgency or speed he plays with, I like clarke but the pace he plays with I also think needs to improve (I do have clarke then hughes as the best dmen). One thing i love about berniers and eklund is they have have the high-end skill and a non stop motor to go with it. That's one thing I defended and loved with the hoglander pick was his pace of play and motor. In comparison i loved pettersson his draft year who plays a slower game, but his stickhandling and on ice vision was so insane it did not matter.

Last edited:

Nov 1, 2011
Since berniers and eklund are my 1 and 2 I am going to say them, with berniers i really see a larger brayden point. Johnson and clarke might have the most flash, but johnson just looks slow in my viewings as far as urgency or speed he plays with, I like clarke but the pace he plays with I also think needs to improve (I do have clarke then hughes as the best dmen). One thing i love about berniers and eklund is they have have the high-end skill and a non stop motor to go with it. That's one thing I defended and loved with the hoglander pick was his pace of play and motor. In comparison i loved pettersson his draft year who plays a slower game, but his stickhandling and on ice vision was so insane it did not matter.

Do you think Eklund would make the big club right away?

Eklund - Miller - Podkolzin could be an interesting second line combo.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
If the top rated players I think the safest guy is Beniers in that what you see is what you will get. Solid 2 way game. Not Barzal/Petey level offense, so a touch between them and Horvat/RyJo. Kind of a low end 1C. If you have him and Bo as your 2 top C then you need really good wingers to have enough offense.

most of the D could be a 1st pairing or anchor the 2nd pairing. Little more variance in what they can be.
I don't mind Beniers at all. You cannot watch him play and say he won't be a good player in the NHL, who knows if he's the best player in the draft. I bet he's a top 6 centre and could play next season. Imagine if Beniers was the 3C next season, he's going to have a good year. We can trade Miller for defence or he'll see a benefit to take a discount and take a lesser role as he ages.

Drafting Beniers gives the team a good excuse to push out bad contracts to build a reliable D-core for next season.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Guenther is getting very underrated. Most skilled forward in the draft and he’s a complete player too. Forechecks, competes hard, he might be #1 overall for me.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Guenther is getting very underrated. Most skilled forward in the draft and he’s a complete player too. Forechecks, competes hard, he might be #1 overall for me.

What are the odds of a winger drafted from the Edmonton Oil Kings reaching his offensive potential in the NHL? :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad