2021 NHL Draft Thread (All draft, lottery, and prospect talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
I would try to trade the pick for a center that's ready to step in now, maybe Vilardi from LA? If we keep the pick the best center I think is Berniers? Next draft looks better for centers with Lambert, Savoie and Wright.
No Vilardi, he have big back issues, why he have played so little, i'm Kings fan myself and they have been tearing about Vilardi because of his health issues.

Reactions: Jovavic

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I know the league continues to get younger but can any of these top players help next year? I have a hard time getting excited about someone who may play three years down the road when we need help now

No.

Beniers could play next year but probably will stay for more seasoning in Michigan. If you do get someone to make the jump they won't be making any difference anyways.

Reactions: Fred Glover

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I think Raty is a winger

Aatu Räty is listed as a center by Eliteprospects, Liiga and also by Finnish Wikipedia. I haven't followed him so I don't know for sure, but I saw his playing center like 1 year ago. However, his older brother Aku is a winger and was drafted by Arizona last year.

As Räty had a meh start for this season and did not make it into the WJC team, Räty might end up as a underrated steal in the draft. So if CBJ had the 7th spot I hope they would pick him even if he is a Finn and we know Jarmo really hesitates to draft or acquire Finns unless they are sure picks.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Aatu Räty is listed as a center by Eliteprospects, Liiga and also by Finnish Wikipedia. I haven't followed him so I don't know for sure, but I saw his playing center like 1 year ago. However, his older brother Aku is a winger and was drafted by Arizona last year.

As Räty had a meh start for this season and did not make it into the WJC team, Räty might end up as a underrated steal in the draft. So if CBJ had the 7th spot I hope they would pick him even if he is a Finn and we know Jarmo really hesitates to draft or acquire Finns unless they are sure picks.

I could see steal if he tumbles into the latter half of the round. If he's at #7 that still seems a bit rich. To me Raty doesn't seem to have that much upside.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I could see steal if he tumbles into the latter half of the round. If he's at #7 that still seems a bit rich. To me Raty doesn't seem to have that much upside.

You might be right. I think he was ranked #8 by Athletic. Last year he was even considered as possible top pick by some but he fell quickly out of the radar by not having a good start for the season and even missing the WJC.

But the slow start to the season and missing WJC does deflate his perceived value a lot, and propably making him undervalued.

As said, haven't followed him really, so can't say other than just speculate.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
One of the 1st + what gets us Turcotte?

LA’s situation is starting to look better. I don’t know why they would trade Turcotte for picks and delay their rebuild. They have 4 big contracts left after trading that asshat to the Penguins, and Brown’s contract expires next year. It is time for them to move forward while Doughty and Kopitar still have something left. (I don’t know what Quick has left.). They have some cap space next year. The West also looks really bad. If I were a pretty good free agent, I’d be eyeing being a member of the next phase of the LA Kings.

So I think the trade with the Kings would have to be Turcotte + for Werenski. And I don’t think I make that trade.

A trade I think we could see with our firsts is Sam Reinhart. We’ll talk with Buffalo about Eichel and walk away with Reinhart.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Given this is one of the weakest drafts in recent memory, I am convinced that the Jackets are going to win the lottery. So lets play pretend and say they do win it. Seems like Owen Power is the favorite to go No. 1. If that's the case, do the Jackets trade out of 1 with a team near the top who wants D help so they can get a another pick or 2, or do they use the pick and just take their guy? This draft is going to be interesting and suck at the same time.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
My preference is “picks for players”. Keep one, trade two if we can get an advantageous deal. Otherwise here’s hoping we find gold - who that gold is I leave to all of you who follow this much more closely than me.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Given this is one of the weakest drafts in recent memory, I am convinced that the Jackets are going to win the lottery. So lets play pretend and say they do win it. Seems like Owen Power is the favorite to go No. 1. If that's the case, do the Jackets trade out of 1 with a team near the top who wants D help so they can get a another pick or 2, or do they use the pick and just take their guy? This draft is going to be interesting and suck at the same time.

A lot of guys could get taken at #1. If the Jackets trade down from #1 because they pass on Power, well Beniers could go #1. As could Luke Hughes. Maybe even Dylan Guenther if he stays red hot.

My point is that you just take Beniers if you like him. He's not a lock for #1C but he's going to be a really good center with a motor and yes that would make a big difference for the Jackets. You only trade down if you are indifferent between several players. I.e. if you like five guys equally then see if you can trade down to #5.

I'm not sure if the draft is going to suck or not. It could be 2012. Or it could be 2017 - that year there were no safe blue-chip-elite players at the top either. Hischier looks to be about as expected, a good borderline #1C. Patrick might be busting. But Heiskanen, Makar, and Pettersson are all game changers, and that wasn't clear back then. That draft was supposed to be weak and it is actually much the opposite.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Asking for a friend...who might you expect to go #5 or 6 and who are some guys you might expect in the #24-32 range?

I'm not even going to pretend I know anyone in the 20s yet. Maybe in June.

One guy to watch out for around #5-#10 is Kent Johnson. Boom/bust super-creative center. He could be an Elias Pettersson type of guy, I've seen that comparison. There's some risk he'll be a one-way guy, perhaps like Roslovic.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
I'm not even going to pretend I know anyone in the 20s yet. Maybe in June.

One guy to watch out for around #5-#10 is Kent Johnson. Boom/bust super-creative center. He could be an Elias Pettersson type of guy, I've seen that comparison. There's some risk he'll be a one-way guy, perhaps like Roslovic.

Question is, will he be allowed to do this in the NHL?

We have a few, that did this in junior.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
B777023D-E0AD-401F-940C-546D38378285.jpeg
This is the first mock I have seen with the CBJ having three picks

2021 NHL Mock Draft | 2021 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

Kent Johnson
Daniil Chayka
Francesco Pinelli

Hope Pinelli’s game is much better than his haircut.

Reactions: domi28

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Unless the CBA changes - I don’t touch a college kids with a ten foot pole especially with a high first round pick- no guarantee they sign. And with our track record ? No thanks.

Just so you know, top ten picks who develop on schedule don't stay in college long enough to use the loophole. You have four years after you draft them and unless the player disappoints, which is unfortunate on it's own terms, then they'll be in the NHL in 1-3 years. We got Werenski after a year.

The last top ten guy that I can remember using the loophole was Blake Wheeler, who believe it or not was considered a bust back in the day. He didn't take off until several years into his pro career when he joined the Jets. For all the fuss over Mike Reilly using the loophole, he's been a #6/7 D for years now. Ottawa got him earlier this year for a 5th round pick.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Unless the CBA changes - I don’t touch a college kids with a ten foot pole especially with a high first round pick- no guarantee they sign. And with our track record ? No thanks.

Major's pt about the quality of this draft is a good one.. who knows what lurks out there - there are at least a handful of stars, Ville Siren and scouts could really make an impact this year.

Reactions: LJ7201

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
"Many scouts (including me) feel like after 10th or so, every player should be slotted 10ish spots later. Not a fantastic draft at the top. One long time scout to me "I can't remember a worse draft.""

Yeesh.

That's Mark Spector. Edit: Mark Edwards, not Spector.

Please don't tell me we got 3 1sts in a wasteland draft again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad