2021 NHL Draft Thread (All draft, lottery, and prospect talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Unless it is clear cut I disagree. We picked Wennberg instead of Rantannen. In retrosect did we pick best player available or did we pick best D available? IIRC the D corps was shot and in need of bolstering.Was Chinakhov the BPA? It is all so subjective that I just don't buy into it as an absolute. I think you just need to draft a very good prospect who you believe fits your needs and the team culture. Matthew Barzal the 16th best player in his draft year?

I think you mean Werenski, not Wennberg.

The first 11 picks of 2015 were the top 10 NA skaters and the #1 European skater. The #1 European skater was Rantanen who was picked tenth. The #2 European skater was none other than Gabe Carlsson who we nabbed with the 27th pick.

Bob McKenzie had Barzal #9, Rantanen #10, and Werenski #11.

It is so hard to know whether we took the top guy on our board or the top D on our board. Because we don’t know our board.

Just be glad we didn’t take Lawson Crouse.

McKenzie's Final Ranking: McDavid, Eichel and... - TSN.ca

2015 NHL Entry Draft

As for Chinakhov, it seems to me that the CBJ thought he was the best player available and weren’t going to risk trading back and snagging him later.

Reactions: thebus88

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I think the big story for Jackets this year is how many additional picks we will add this year by trading all of our vets who will be UFA’s. I saw one report saying we could add as many as 5 picks including a second first rounder for Savard.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I don't know if I would draft that Conner Roulette kid, seems like a bit of a gamble. Thanks everyone, I will be here all week ;)

As for the earlier debate about drafting another Russian in the first round, I was reading Mike Moreale's Top 32 board and there were exactly two Russians on the list playing Russian Juniors this year. Obviously not definite but less likely Jarmo picks one.

Reactions: koteka

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I expect we will draft a goalie this year. We haven't drafted one for a few years.

These are the goalie picks since 2010:

2010 4th Oulette
2011 7th Forsberg
2012 2nd Dansk
2012 3rd Korpi
2014 3rd Elvis
2016 6th Thome
2017 3rd Tarasov
2018 6th Vehvilainan

My way too early prediction is we draft a European goalie in the 3rd.

Anyone seen anything on draft eligible European goalies besides Wallstedt (who will go in the 1st round)?

Reactions: Cowumbus

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH
With the Canucks covid breakout, I would imagine point percentage to determine playoffs is more likely.

It would seem logical that if you do that to determine seeding of playoffs, it would carry over to the draft order as well.

By points we are currently at #9, points % puts us up to #7.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Is this organization ready to rebuild in longterm? Time to suck again for decade? Hopefully not

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Is this organization ready to rebuild in longterm? Time to suck again for decade? Hopefully not

Barring a tremendous lift from a new coach I'm not sure they have a choice. Or they could decide to settle for another decade of mediocrity as a bubble team. While the Russian contingent may help as they arrive over the next 3 seasons or so there still is no 1C or even for that matter a solid 2c on the horizon. Hopefully Tex fulfills the dream and maybe somehow Domi reverts back to his 72 point season form.Or Columbus native, Jack Roslovic or Liam Foudy develop into solid top 6 C's.

And all of this is dependent on Jones & Weresnski signing long term. If they go there is no choice but suffer another decade of hope and unending calls to trade Jacket castoffs for 1C's ad top pairing D.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I expect we will draft a goalie this year. We haven't drafted one for a few years.

These are the goalie picks since 2010:

2010 4th Oulette
2011 7th Forsberg
2012 2nd Dansk
2012 3rd Korpi
2014 3rd Elvis
2016 6th Thome
2017 3rd Tarasov
2018 6th Vehvilainan

My way too early prediction is we draft a European goalie in the 3rd.

Anyone seen anything on draft eligible European goalies besides Wallstedt (who will go in the 1st round)?

Given we've already moved Vehvilainen, and many prognosticators think we move a goalie this offseason, I think this is will definitely happen. I don't think it's a way too early prediction even if we do ride with Korpi/Elvis to start next season. There are essentially only three goalies in the organization (plus Kivlenieks, who is more or less a placeholder for the Expansion Draft).

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I don't think it's a way too early prediction even if we do ride with Korpi/Elvis to start next season.

Agreed. The way too early part is I predicted 3rd round and European goalie. Right now we have a first and a third in the draft. I expect we’ll get more picks/prospects and be able to use that third round pick on a goalie instead of a high risk high reward forward or right D with some potential.

BTW, our 3rd round European goalie picks all look pretty solid.

LazyCircuits

Dec 14, 2019
Europia
Then we take Beniers and be done with it.
This is always my take so this may be a post you have read previously.

Look at trading down. There isn’t a guaranteed number 1 game breaker so, if we did pick first it might be a smart idea to pick up another asset by moving down a couple of places. In fact, I would seriously consider trading the pick if we were offered a good young centre.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
We have chance to draft in top3 there are couple good centers coming? Whos your pick?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
As of this morning Jackets stand 9th worse but a 4 teams behind or tied have games in hand. Vancouver has 5 gih, NJ which is only 4 pts behind have 4 gih's. With a bit of luck Jackets could finish with 5th worse record thereby guaranteeing no worse than 7th pick.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
We have chance to draft in top3 there are couple good centers coming? Whos your pick?

I would try to trade the pick for a center that's ready to step in now, maybe Vilardi from LA? If we keep the pick the best center I think is Berniers? Next draft looks better for centers with Lambert, Savoie and Wright.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I know the league continues to get younger but can any of these top players help next year? I have a hard time getting excited about someone who may play three years down the road when we need help now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad