2021 NHL Draft Thread (All draft, lottery, and prospect talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I wonder if Raty is someone we take a chance on with a late pick if available or if hes fallen completely out of favor with Jarmo and the scouts. Kid went from a pretty hyped up player to a disappointment and living off that intial hype pretty quick

If he is still available in the 20's range where we pick he might be worth a flyer.

Reactions: cslebn

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
For anyone who watches soccer, I think what Beniers does is really similar to what excellent box-to-box midfielders like Joshua Kimmich or Fernandinho do for their respective teams.

There are a lot of folks asking whether he does anything "elite" or whether he has 1C upside, etc. Personally, I would say that Matt Beniers is as good as any center prospect I've seen in two very simple categories: helping his team win the puck back, and helping his team progress the puck forward.

Beniers is really excellent in helping his team win the puck back anywhere on the ice. In the offensive zone, it's his relentless forechecking, excellent work along the boards, and just a general tenacity to hound defensemen in possession. In the neutral zone, it's great positioning to clog lanes and an active stick to break up passes. In his own zone same thing, he closes passing lanes really effectively, he snuffs guys out on the boards, he's vocal in calling out assignments, he's very good on faceoffs (WJC aside). He's just a nightmare for opposition when they possess the puck.

As far as progressing the puck forward, I think Beniers benefits from a combination of excellent four-way skating, tenacious forechecking, and simple, consistent decision-making.

After winning the puck back in the neutral zone or high d-zone, Beniers has gotten a lot better this year at knowing when to simply recycle the puck back to his defensemen for a line change and controlled entry and when to push the transition offense. When he does lead transitions, that's where his skating really shines. He's very intelligent about knowing when to bomb in north-south when defenders are on their heels and when to sort of carve his way in east-west when the opposition is in a better defensive shape. While he can sort of do it all himself, he really benefits from a smart, skilled left-winger who can serve as an outlet if the opposition defenders cheat in on him (Kent Johnson at Michigan, Matt Boldy at the WJC). On the dump-and-chase, it's pretty simple- he's fast, strong, and savvy at winning board battles. He wins these more often than not, and I think that's going to continue to translate up to higher levels.

With all that considered, it's no surprise Beniers tops the charts in several advanced metrics which try to quantify transitions and general pace of play.

Does he have elite offensive tools?

I mean, no, not really. But he has very good offensive tools, and he has elite puck-winning and transition tools that allow teams to get the most out of the players around him.

Does he have high hockey iq?

Really depends how you define the most vague term in the hockey dictionary. He certainly isn't picking out eye-catching, high danger passes like Mitch Marner. I think he needs to get more comfortable slowing the game down in controlled, offensive zone possessions. But I think he's incredibly intelligent when it comes to dictating the pace of transition, knowing when to bomb forward and when to recycle the puck back to his defenseman, and marshalling defensive shape in 5 on 5 defense and penalty kills. I don't think it's a coincidence that Beniers earns major responsibility very quickly on whichever team he plays for, and I'm confident that will continue into his NHL career.

Can't you get players like this in the later rounds?

You can, but you probably won't. Frankly, I'd rather hunt for untapped goal-scoring wingers in the later rounds than two-way centers who push play as well as Beniers does.

Will he produce enough points to justify a top 5/3/1 pick?

If you're drafting Beniers to be the primary point-generating player on your team I think you're completely misevaluating the player. I think he does enough things well where he can get you ~60 points in his prime years, even north of that on that right team. But for all the reasons I mentioned above, I think Beniers is a player you draft to get the most out of your point-generating wingers and defensemen.

How good will he be?

Depends where he goes I think. In a nonsense organization like Buffalo who've proven countless times that they don't know how to properly develop and deploy their players he probably won't look like a top 5 pick. But if he goes to a team like the Ducks and he's allowed to be the water-carrier in a team with skilled point-generators like Zegras and Drysdale then I think he'll look excellent.

Ultimately I think the value of this player is very, very high. If you put him in a position to win the puck back and move it forward so the skilled players around him can generate offense, I think you'll be totally content with drafting Matt Beniers.

Really enjoyed reading this write up on Beniers in his prospect page. Seems like just the kind of center we need. A perfect 2C/low end 1C.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

He needs to play in 25% of playoff games for our 7th to become an6th IIRC

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Isn’t that kind of like PLD? Sounds like a good fit for what we need.

PLD only showed glimpses of that ability to handle the puck in transition, like in the playoffs. He bobbles the puck a lot which makes him more the opposite of the consistently smooth Beniers. On the other hand he has a heavier shot and can use his power to drive the net. Beniers is just okay in terms of finishing tools.

But yes I really want Beniers. Forget immediate needs, a decade or two of a player like him would be great for the franchise. And I say that knowing he isn't likely to be a consistent high scorer.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Don't waste too much time studying guys.. Ville is likely to have his mind made up on a guy that people say "Who?" There are plenty of highly rated centers in this draft Kent Johnson is highly skilled & a playmaker too.

C's Beniers, Eklund, Johnson, MacTavish, Guenther is more of a wing but looks really good too.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Don't waste too much time studying guys.. Ville is likely to have his mind made up on a guy that people say "Who?" There are plenty of highly rated centers in this draft Kent Johnson is highly skilled & a playmaker too.

C's Beniers, Eklund, Johnson, MacTavish, Guenther is more of a wing but looks really good too.

Eklund and Johnson have been wingers for awhile now. Maybe they can be converted to center later. But usually you talk about guys you draft as centers and wonder if they can keep at that position in the NHL. You don't expect too many guys who were wingers in their draft year to make the switch. It happens, but not as often. McTavish is the next definite center after Beniers and Canada's top center, a lot of people want to get him in the top ten.

If we're looking for a Ville-surprise with our 5th or 6th OA pick, I wonder about Fedor Svechkov, Russia's top center.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Eklund and Johnson have been wingers for awhile now. Maybe they can be converted to center later. But usually you talk about guys you draft as centers and wonder if they can keep at that position in the NHL. You don't expect too many guys who were wingers in their draft year to make the switch. It happens, but not as often. McTavish is the next definite center after Beniers and Canada's top center, a lot of people want to get him in the top ten.

If we're looking for a Ville-surprise with our 5th or 6th OA pick, I wonder about Fedor Svechkov, Russia's top center.
Wouldn’t you have to think the jackets take the most dynamic forward possible ? Do we think Beniers will be better than Jack and Texier ?

Btw, this guy has some really good content...

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Wouldn’t you have to think the jackets take the most dynamic forward possible ? Do we think Beniers will be better than Jack and Texier ?

Most common comparison I've seen to Beniers is Horvat. So yes pretty easily if this is true.

Not sure if Texier's 1. A top six forward or 2. Even a center in an ideal scenario.

Not saying we pick Beniers regardless of where we pick but if we're at 3 or 4 and Power and Guenther are off the board I would go Beniers and not think twice.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Most common comparison I've seen to Beniers is Horvat. So yes pretty easily if this is true.

Not sure if Texier's 1. A top six forward or 2. Even a center in an ideal scenario.

Not saying we pick Beniers regardless of where we pick but if we're at 3 or 4 and Power and Guenther are off the board I would go Beniers and not think twice.
Have you heard of this player ? I haven’t followed prospects too much this year , but the guy at the end if this video says he could be a top player taken ?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Btw, this guy has some really good content...

The most dynamic player, yes. And yes on Beniers becoming our top center in a couple years.

Yeah I kind of like Will Scouch as a YouTube scout. He's super smart. I watched all of his stuff last draft. I came away disagreeing with him on a lot of things. A lot of players he doesn't like get drafted by the Sens, by the way, and they're doing well. And his videos don't let you see the players enough. I miss Draft Dynasty, who unfortunately got hired by the Habs.

For me Power and Clarke are the only guys I take over Matty Beniers.

The Horvat comparison works for upside and maybe impact but not really stylistically. Horvat's skating isn't in the same league.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Have you heard of this player ? I haven’t followed prospects too much this year , but the guy at the end if this video says he could be a top player taken ?

Just starting my research really. Can't comment on him yet but I'll let you know (If I remember lol).

Reactions: KJ Dangler

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Jackets face another interesting dilemna (old school spelling). They need to hire a coach and hopefully align the way he likes to play with the picks. I'm in favor of Bemiers/Guenther over the D guys but if Jarmo hires another D minded coach I probably take one of the top D. Unless Jones has committed to re-signing then I take the F.

Of course Jarmo will probably take a guy who would be available at the second 1st but he is afraid another team will snag him at 22.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jackets face another interesting dilemna (old school spelling). They need to hire a coach and hopefully align the way he likes to play with the picks. I'm in favor of Bemiers/Guenther over the D guys but if Jarmo hires another D minded coach I probably take one of the top D. Unless Jones has committed to re-signing then I take the F.

Of course Jarmo will probably take a guy who would be available at the second 1st but he is afraid another team will snag him at 22.

Average coach tenure: 3 years

Average time before #5/6 pick becomes full time NHLer: ~2 years.

Not much overlap.

Reactions: LJ7201

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I want Beniers. I think he'd compliment the type of wings this FO seems to always get. If we end up with one of the D men it's fine but to me Beniers projects to be extremely impactful with the role he plays. I wouldn't mind Eklund either.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Anybody else think the play for our two late firsts is take the two highest OHL players available?

Europe is going to be over scouted this year. We normally do better than others in Europe. So let’s zig when everyone zags and draft out of the league that didn’t play.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Anybody else think the play for our two late firsts is take the two highest OHL players available?

Europe is going to be over scouted this year. We normally do better than others in Europe. So let’s zig when everyone zags and draft out of the league that didn’t play.

Where do you think those OHL kids went this year?

Pinelli, Othmann, and Harrison all played in Euro leagues. Those are the three Ontario kids listed between 20 and 40 on Bob's list.

I actually think your idea is right, because they'll probably still be underrated if they're playing in a Euro pro league that is harder for teenagers. I think those guys were all on the Canada U-18 team that just played and got a ton of coverage, along with Clarke and McTavish who also came back from Europe. And those two guys definitely just jumped up because of their U-18s. Maybe our scouts will like someone who went under the radar in that tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad