2021 NHL Draft Thread (All draft, lottery, and prospect talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Drafting Clarke makes good logical sense but there's this irrational part of me that is still going "BENIERS OR BUST" because center center center need center #1 center where center center need center center center omg center must have center center CENTER AHHHHGHGHGHGHGHGWHARRGARBL

Well if they're confident Beniers is a #1 center, then he will be BPA. No controversy here.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You're not abandoning the BPA crowd are you?
"Flip 'em for what you REALLY want" nonsense is starting to wear me down.

I know, I know, it doesn't apply in these cases 'cause if you do get someone truly exceptional you don't trade them, you start building around them instead, this is the reasonable approach, I should be reasonable, I should reason, be reason, reason reason reason reason AAAAAGGGGGH f*** REASON IMA BURN THINGS no no no no reason reason calm reason cool reason calllllllm reason reasonable reason
twitch.gif

why are you looking at me like that i'm perfectly fine no really

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sure. Yeah. Exactly. See? Everything's perfectly fine. Perfectly fine. :D

No really, there is a zero percent chance they will pass on a player that they think is going to be a #1 center. Nothing to fuss about.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
There's a good chunk of top players available at where Columbus will select. Not saying either Power or Beniers will be there but just to add to the discussion I've pasted my notes on those two top prospects below. Gave my thoughts on Eklund before. Notes can look jumbled but you have to remember I add to them as I watch games so that's why it seems to jump around a bit.

22 Owen Power (02) (2021) - Solid all around D that plays big minutes and has great size, mix that with his powerful stride and he's dangerous whenever he's out there. He's calm and makes the right pass exiting the zone and when he skates it out he uses his speed to cut through the NZ with ease and penetrate the O zone. Just accelerates so fast out of the zone and blows past guys breaking the puck out. He makes it look so effortless closing on guys and taking the puck off their stick. He's tough below the dots and bodies guys to where they're neutralized on the wall in corners. Also no slouch in the O zone. Goes to the net when necessary and looks to get shots through. Very high end hockey sense. He spins and buys extra time in the O zone. Has sense to dish and then sees the opening in slot to receive the give and go pass. Gains those few extra strides to get ice breaking puck out and makes the outlet pass. Makes it tough to get around him, will scratch and claw if he has to to prevent the opportunity. It's like he knows he's going to beat you when deep in the zone and starts to exit, also when coming around the net and he's challenged. When he jumps in it's usually always calculated and he doesn't put himself or his team in a bad spot.

10 Matthew Beniers (02) (2021) - A great 2 way player that does it all for you. Can strip pucks cleanly in the NZ and get the play moving back north. Has vision and touch to set up guys and can create chances. He's so hard on pucks and his motor never stops moving. He can make incredible little stick plays to win bobbling pucks and get them to guys immediately. He also will chip the puck right past the D trying to stand him up at the line and retrieve that puck with his speed and stride. Has lots of confidence.

Reactions: majormajor

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
Looks like Vancouver is playing tomorrow. What are the chances they win? Looks like we will pick 1, 4, 5 or 6 depending on the lottery. Most likely 5th.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Looks like Vancouver is playing tomorrow. What are the chances they win? Looks like we will pick 1, 4, 5 or 6 depending on the lottery. Most likely 5th.

If Vancouver catches us, we will pick either 1, 2, 5, 6 or 7. If they don't catch us, we will pick either 1, 2, 6, 7 or 8. Seattle is ahead of us in the lottery running/in the 3rd-worst slot.

If Vancouver catches us:

6 (45.8% chance)
5 (24.0% chance)
7 (13.6% chance)
2 (8.7% chance)
1 (8.5% chance)

If they don't catch us:

7 (42.0% chance)
6 (34.1% chance)
8 (8.6% chance)
2 (7.8% chance)
1 (7.5% chance)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If folks like thinking through how we play this draft, I recommend checking out the draft simulator. Warning - it is fun and addictive.

I just played through as the Jackets and picked up

7 - Luke Hughes - LD - elite skater.
29 - Fedor Svechkov - C - strong and super skilled.
30 - Zachary L'Heureux - F - nasty compact finisher.
70 - Vincent Iorio - RD - big smart mobile.
102 - Sean Tschigerl - LW - explosive skater, forechecker, and scorer.
133 - Aleksi Hiemosalmi - RD - elite skater, needs strength.
134 - Jalen Luypen - W - overager / breakout goal scorer.
167 - Florian Elias - C - small playmaker. WJC hero.
19x? - Bennett Rossmy - W - big framed German project.

The guys I'm usually most excited to nab at the top are Clarke and Beniers, but often around 7th the best available are guys like Hughes and Eklund, which is still kind of exciting. Beyond that, the Jackets have so many needs to fill that there are many different types to target - strong centers, nasty physical players, speed, RD. The only thing I tend to de-prioritize with the Jackets is scoring wings with middling upside, unless they have a standout two-way, physicality, or speed quality. Jarmo can find them easily, same with LD, who are especially abundant as pro free agents. RD meanwhile is empty - we currently have Jones, Peeke, and Hjorth, who is a longshot.

Last edited:
Reactions: LJ7201

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm really curious as to what's going on in these draft meetings leading up to the draft. Is there someone who is just likely out of reach that Jarmo and Co like enough to package and move up for? Or do they think they can still get a core player at 5-7 similar to how they were able to snag Werenski at 8??

Or do they think they can move back and get who they want and maybe grab some more picks for some later rounds next season?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I wonder if Raty is someone we take a chance on with a late pick if available or if hes fallen completely out of favor with Jarmo and the scouts. Kid went from a pretty hyped up player to a disappointment and living off that intial hype pretty quick

Reactions: LJ7201 and Jovavic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad