OT: 2021 NFL and NCAAF offseason thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
That return is pretty solid given how much funk our organization has put on Darnold, especially last season.

This is the best thing for all parties involved. We really f***ed up his development and he deserves a fresh start elsewhere. I hope he succeeds because he’s a great kid.

Now, Zach Wilson or Fields?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
At what point does the league step in and just start taking all star players from other teams and giving them to the Jets? The league needs a decent Jets team and it’s been too long. My kids aren’t even sure if the Jets are an actual NFL franchise and the oldest one has graduated college. That has to change.

Reactions: FooteBahl

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
That return is pretty solid given how much funk our organization has put on Darnold, especially last season.

This is the best thing for all parties involved. We really f***ed up his development and he deserves a fresh start elsewhere. I hope he succeeds because he’s a great kid.

Now, Zach Wilson or Fields?
Zach Wilson no question. He’s the real deal. As far as I’m concerned there’s a big drop off after him in terms of QBs in this draft. He’s on the same tier as Lawrence for me and then Fields is a tier below with Lance, Jones another tier down.

I was never huge on Darnold, I feel bad for him because he seems like a great kid and never complained despite the brutal rosters we fielded and coaches he was given, but Carolina is going to have their hands full trying to fix his mechanics and his decision making so that he’s not a turnover machine. Sure he’s showed flashes of brilliance, but the overwhelming majority of his starts have been negative. The one thing he does have going for him though is that he’s still one of the youngest QBs in the league.

I’m sure the league is laughing at us now, but I don’t think Sam is a guy who we’re going to look back in 5 years and say “damn I wish we hadn’t traded him.”

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Zach Wilson no question. He’s the real deal. As far as I’m concerned there’s a big drop off after him in terms of QBs in this draft. He’s on the same tier as Lawrence for me and then Fields is a tier below with Lance, Jones another tier down.

Not that hard to be a good qb and look like a superstar when you're playing Navy, North Alabama, Troy, and Coastal Carolina.

I didn't even know 3 of those are universities.

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
Not that hard to be a good qb and look like a superstar when you're playing Navy, North Alabama, Troy, and Coastal Carolina.

I didn't even know 3 of those are universities.

Coastal Carolina was a great team this year. Plus he dominated a ranked Boise St team.

Plenty of guys in the NFL from small schools without the toughest schedule: Allen, Wentz, Jimmy G, Flacco etc.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Do you want them trading for Watson with the baggage he's carrying?

nah, definitely not anymore....its Tua time

Im a 93 baby so all I remember of the good is Ricky being a beast, the Wildcat and one good run in 16. Im very excited for this upcoming season though, Flo is a damn good coach and I like the new offensive approach.

yeah, I'm 34 so its been longer for me....no playoff wins in 20 years is painful

but yeah, I think Flores is the real deal. Gotta get some more help for Tua in the draft

Reactions: TheDuke93

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
nah, definitely not anymore....its Tua time

yeah, I'm 34 so its been longer for me....no playoff wins in 20 years is painful

but yeah, I think Flores is the real deal. Gotta get some more help for Tua in the draft
Absolutely buddy, I want Chase>Pitts>Slim Reaper personally. Then BPA with the 2nd 1st which may very well be an edge.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hopefully the Jets continue to build their lines. If they can block and stop the run and get after opposing QBs with reasonable efficiency it will make their own QB less of a focus. If they can support a solid running game and keep the other offense to a reasonable number the passing will take care of itself.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
At what point does the league step in and just start taking all star players from other teams and giving them to the Jets? The league needs a decent Jets team and it’s been too long. My kids aren’t even sure if the Jets are an actual NFL franchise and the oldest one has graduated college. That has to change.

When the Johnsons sell the team

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I would be happy with any of Chase, Pitts, D. Smith, Waddle or (to a lesser extent) Sewell with Miami's pick at 6

Basically hard for them to screw it up

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Coastal Carolina was a great team this year. Plus he dominated a ranked Boise St team.

Plenty of guys in the NFL from small schools without the toughest schedule: Allen, Wentz, Jimmy G, Flacco etc.
Coastal Carolina is a nothing team.

Flacco caught lighting in a bottle behind one of the best D's in history.

Jimmy and Wentz? Will either of them be in the league in 2023?

You may as well remind me that Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. Because that's going to happen again.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Ugh. Is the family that bad? Don’t they just write the checks and stay out of the way?
I'm a fins fan so I will be biased. Long story short I use to work at a certain assholes golf course and Johnson lived across the street. There was a fire and he fought with the fire company about draining his lake while his neighbors house was burning. He is human garbage. On the football side of things he is very hands on so I expect he's a major reason why the Jets have been ass.

Reactions: My3Sons

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

Well played-ish.

I stand by my point that those are nothing programs.

Fields absolutely smashed Clemson, Michigan State, Nebraska, Indiana, Penn State, and Northwestern. He only got exposed by Alabama which is essentially an NFL farm team.

Yet we're going to talk about Wilson vs Louisiana Tech and Boise? C'mon guys, get serious.

If the Jets end up with Wilson I'll be pissed.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If you can find a video of Wilson dropping a 65 yard dime I'll be all about it.

Until then #letsgomrfields!

I mean I'm not a huge believer in pro day or throwing without defenses but he's absolutely got the arm, throwing that distance off his back foot.

Well played-ish.

I stand by my point that those are nothing programs.

Fields absolutely smashed Clemson, Michigan State, Nebraska, Indiana, Penn State, and Northwestern. He only got exposed by Alabama which is essentially an NFL farm team.

Yet we're going to talk about Wilson vs Louisiana Tech and Boise? C'mon guys, get serious.

If the Jets end up with Wilson I'll be pissed.

Clemson I'll give you but he didn't smash Northwestern and none of those other teams are really a big deal defensively. Ohio State may play in a bigger conference but they also invariably have much better teams than at least 10 of the 12 teams they play every year before the playoff. It's almost like BYU playing against smaller schools they're better than.

Last edited:

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I mean I'm not a believer in pro day or throwing without defenses but he's absolutely got the arm

Are you a believer in stomping on some of the best programs in division 1 football?

And that video is a terrible throw compared to the Fields one I posted. He's slow as molasses and lucky the receiver was able to adjust.

I was right about Allen over Darnold (as a mod I'm sure you can find the post) and I'd bet anything I'm correct about this.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I mean I'm not a huge believer in pro day or throwing without defenses but he's absolutely got the arm, throwing that distance off his back foot.

Clemson I'll give you but he didn't smash Northwestern and none of those other teams are really a big deal defensively. Ohio State may play in a bigger conference but they also invariably have much better teams than at least 10 of the 12 teams they play every year before the playoff. It's almost like BYU playing against smaller schools they're better than.

Dude, that's 5 ranked teams. BYU played trash besides maybe, maybe, Boise.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Are you a believer in stomping on some of the best programs in division 1 football?

And that video is a terrible throw compared to the Fields one I posted. He's slow as molasses and lucky the receiver was able to adjust.

I was right about Allen over Darnold (as a mod I'm sure you can find the post) and I'd bet anything I'm correct about this.

LOL it's the same darn throw - go to the right, flip to your left and throw a bomb off your back foot. Fields did that throw specifically because people were going gaga over Wilson doing it which is actually one thing I do like about Fields, he wants to meet the challenge.

Last edited:

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I will say this for Fields vs Wilson I don't see how the guy with 1 big year in a meh program and meh competition vs the guy with 2 big years in a great program vs great competition is a close debate. Wilson does have the ability to make some throws way off access and because Pat does it that's what ever franchise is now looking for. But I don't see how you can look at Wilson and say he's a MUCH better prospect then Fields imo.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Dude, that's 5 ranked teams. BYU played trash besides maybe, maybe, Boise.

Again, context. A great team (OSU) better than other decent teams they play or a decent team (BYU) better than mediocre teams they play? Either way both the teams they play on are better than their competition for the most part. 'Ranked teams' mean very little to me in a season where nobody played out of conference and everyone including Ohio State played half a schedule and he was only good in two, maybe three of the games anyway if you want to be generous and say he had a good game against Indiana despite three picks. And you can't let him off the hook against Alabama, if we're saying a guy is a franchise QB well Deshaun Watson lit up Alabama when they had even better pros, so did Lawrence more recently. So did freaking Johnny Manziel.

And if you really were pro-Allen I find that hard to believe with how much weight you're giving to the competition argument. Allen's stats were awful in college, but he got with the right organization that developed his talent while Darnold never had a chance here.

Last edited:

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
LOL it's the same darn throw - go to the right, flip to your left and throw a bomb off your back foot. Fields did that throw specifically because people were going gaga over Wilson doing it which is actually one thing I do like about Fields, he wants to meet the challenge.
I don't know what you're watching but they don't look comparable to me.

To each their own

You and I literally had this same argument about Allen and Darnold 3 years ago, and you accused me of hating the Jets.

Wilson is slow and off the mark. Just because the receiver actually caught it isn't that impressive.

He's bootleg Daniel Jones.

Again, you're a mod, I'm sure you can find the thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad