WJC: 2021 Medal Finalists/Tourney MVP/Best D-man/Goaltender and All-Star team.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Top F: Stutzle
Top D: Niemela

All star team: Zegras - Cozens - Stutzle - Byram - Heinola - Levi

Finnish D-men got some recognition. Finland has started to produce some of those in the recent years. It used to be only forwards and goalies.

Also Kokkonen was chosen as one of the top-3 best players of Finland along with Heinola and Lundell. I personally thought at that point Niemelä instead of Kokkonen, but it's possible that the bronze game raised Niemelä's stocks and perhaps those top-3 selections were already locked while the bronze game was being played.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
No, the real AS line-up has Tim Stuetzle in it, Ottawa Senators #3 pick in the 2020 draft.

He was also selected as Top Forward of the tournament.
It’s tough: Lundell willed his team to a medal and provided excellent off puck play (I think he led the tournament for face off percentage) with a better team; Stuetzle had a higher ppg with a worse team but arguably a line with much better chemistry: I wish they split Lundell and Stuetzle. One gets best forward; other gets all start

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Happy for Tim but Zegras was definitely the best player (and by extension forward) overall.

Zegras, Lundell and Stuetzle all could've been MVP forwards but perhaps I would've given it to Zegras. I'm sure few of the Canadian forwards were in the contention of that award as well. Many good options this time.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Niemela wins best D but doesn't make all star team? Lol.
4spv7o

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
No they can, simply put, Stuetzle was the best forward of this tournament. but Zegras was the Most Valuable to his team

I think people voting on said things usually tend to think best forward and most valuable are 1 and the same(assuming most valuable player is a forward of course). What happened here is there were 2 different groups of people voting on these 2 things and they just came up with different results.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I think people voting on said things usually tend to think best forward and most valuable are 1 and the same. What happened here is there were 2 different groups of people voting on these 2 things and they just came up with different results.
Probably one group respected Stuetzle a bit too much for playing from behind: I would have him behind Zegras and Cozens with performance. I think Lundell was far more valuable and willed a weak team to Bronze

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
No, the real AS line-up has Tim Stuetzle in it, Ottawa Senators #3 pick in the 2020 draft.

He was also selected as Top Forward of the tournament.

It’s difficult for some Leafs fans to admit that the Sens have good things.

Probably one group respected Stuetzle a bit too much for playing from behind: I would have him behind Zegras and Cozens with performance. I think Lundell was far more valuable and willed a weak team to Bronze

That’s ridiculous. Put Cozens in Stutzle’s spot attempting to carry a shorthanded and offensively limited squad and he doesn’t even put up half the points he did playing with Canada’s 1st rounders.

I do agree that Lundell was impressive though.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I’m pretty sure the standard is that they put different players right?
No, looking back at MVP’s since they started handing out the award, i’ll put a star next to the players that won MVP along with being the top player at their respective position.

From the list, it’s extremely rare for the MVP of the tournament to not be named the top player at their position also, This is only the third time it’s happened since the MVP award was introduced in 2002

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
No, looking back at MVP’s since they started handing out the award, i’ll put a star next to the players that won MVP along with being the top player at their respective position.

From the list, it’s extremely rare for the MVP of the tournament to not be named the top player at their position also, This is only the third time it’s happened since the MVP award was introduced in 2002

Well, the IIHF is European.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
A bunch of highly touted 1st round drafted D-men in this tourny, yet our boy Topi takes it home as a 3rd rounder at age 18. I hope HF is ready for the hype train. :laugh::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad