WJC: 2021 Medal Finalists/Tourney MVP/Best D-man/Goaltender and All-Star team.

J1mLahey

Jan 13, 2011
Toronto
Tough to call right now with the chances of players like Dach, Robertson etc possibly being pulled for NHL duties.

As a Canadian, of course im excited to see what the team can do. Biases aside I think Askarov and guys like Jake Sanderson will he fun to watch.

TheGreekShot

Nov 28, 2019
1 - Canada
2 - USA
3 - Russia
4 - Sweden

MVP - Dach
Best Forward - Dach
Best Defensemen - Bryam
Best Goaltender - Askarov

Boldy - Dach - Caufield
Byram - York
Askarov

Reactions: ORRFForever

Lion141

Dec 6, 2020
1- USA
2- Russia
3- Finland
4- Canada

Amirov - Lundell- Caufield
Byram - Heinola
Askarov

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Sweden have the top 2 centers missing due to Corona. That will dampen the chances of winning gold.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Tough to call right now with the chances of players like Dach, Robertson etc possibly being pulled for NHL duties.

As a Canadian, of course im excited to see what the team can do. Biases aside I think Askarov and guys like Jake Sanderson will he fun to watch.
Do you really think Dach will get pulled at this point? I can't see it.

If the Rangers and Devils gave Laf and Hughes the option, they obviously don't think the NHL will be playing on Jan 1st.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
1. Russia
2. Finland
3. Sweden
4. Canada

MVP: Askarov
Forward: Lundell
Defender: Broberg
Goalie: Askarov

Raymond - Lundell - Chinakhov
Heinola - Broberg
Askarov

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Interesting to see so many predicting a bad tournament for the USA. This group for the USA has destroyed their competition badly, at historic levels for these junior tournaments, but maybe these predictions are accounting for that they now suck or predicting the coaching will be that bad.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Interesting to see so many predicting a bad tournament for the USA. This group for the USA has destroyed their competition badly, at historic levels for these junior tournaments, but maybe these predictions are accounting for that they now suck or predicting the coaching will be that bad.
I am curious and I mean this honestly has there historically been relevancy in who wins at the U17 and U18 levels and who ends up winning at the U20 level? Feels like there is a lot of development that happens between u18 and u20 along with a number of other variables that it can't just be a straight well they won easily at the younger age levels so they are clearly the best now. Me personally I think Canada, Russia and the US are the top 3 teams on paper going in and you can find an argument for why any of the three should be the favourites.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I am curious and I mean this honestly has there historically been relevancy in who wins at the U17 and U18 levels and who ends up winning at the U20 level? Feels like there is a lot of development that happens between u18 and u20 along with a number of other variables that it can't just be a straight well they won easily at the younger age levels so they are clearly the best now. Me personally I think Canada, Russia and the US are the top 3 teams on paper going in and you can find an argument for why any of the three should be the favourites.

Teams with the best 19 year old crop always have an advantage. This has been a staple of this tournament.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Teams with the best 19 year old crop always have an advantage. This has been a staple of this tournament.
Right but that isn't what I was asking. Is there a correlation between the best team at 17 and the best team at 19? Just because a nation was better at 17 doesn't mean everything has progressed linear in the two years that follow. The US has won 6 u18 titles since 2010 and won 3 U20 titles in the same period. Canada has won 1 U18 title since 2010 and has won 3 U20 titles in that period of time. I do agree that it is obviously a strong age group for the States, I just don't see the correlation between underage success and it translating at the U20 level. I would be happy to see why you think otherwise though.

Reactions: LFCTML

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Considering that Sweden won the age relevant IIHF U18 for these 19 year olds and Canada won the age relevant Hlinka for the same players I wouldn't get too deep into it. USA did win the age relevant U17 tournament against eternal rival Canada Red though. Most people would also consider things like development since those tournament and how good the 18 year olds are, but then again some don't care to.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
USA sends the back ups to Hlinka. They also arguably won that tournament, regardless of what the official record says. Everyone knows that Sweden won that U18’s. So? USA was clearly the best team at that tournament. Being the best doesn’t guarantee victory, as that tournament indicates, but to suggest USA aren’t the favorites is ridiculous.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
USA sends the back ups to Hlinka. They also arguably won that tournament, regardless of what the official record says. Everyone knows that Sweden won that U18’s. So? USA was clearly the best team at that tournament. Being the best doesn’t guarantee victory, as that tournament indicates, but to suggest USA aren’t the favorites is ridiculous.
I know American fans are BIG on their 2019 draft but fans from other countries are less enamored with that group - the 2019 draft (as a whole) hasn't impressed.

If the U.S. doesn't prove themselves at the WJR's, hopefully we can put away the idea that 2019 was exceptional.

But, then again, maybe the rest of us are wrong and the U.S. will dominate.

Last edited:
Reactions: LFCTML

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I think the US has a really strong team. I don't think the talent the US has is in anyway a tier ahead of Canada or Russia. As for the U18's the US has historically dominated the U18's and not seen it translate into the U20. I don't have a problem with people thinking the US are the best team but to act like it is crazy for people to think they aren't is what does not make any sense to me.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Most people would also consider things like development since those tournament...
Good point. The argument could be made that the American players have not progressed since being broken apart - and it's not the first time. They play as an All-Star team and excel - anyone would. But, more times than not, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Last edited:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
If you have a good crop of players at a U18, you will have a good crop two years later at a U20. HOWEVER, that’s very different from winning gold at either event and many people over simplify that metric of success into “tournament win” or “tournament loss”. Pavel Buchnevich was right on a couple points in his post. USA had the best team at the U18 but didn’t win and that they don’t send their best team to the Hlinka. He didn’t mention that Canada doesn’t send its best to the U18, and it’s also quite possible that other nations hold back in some tournaments (though I’m less familiar with the limitations facing European teams in that regard).

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Predictions:

G: Canada
S: Russia
B: USA

Top forward: Dach
Top defenseman: Byram
Top goalie: Askarov

All-Stars:
Zegras Dach Chinakhov