Line Combos: 2021 Lines

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Evason has to figure out at some point having an elite 3rd line isn't worth putting trash with your top two players right?

We have like 7 forwards that atleast belong in the NHL in a top 9 role and 2 that could probably be passable in a 3rd line role. You can make two lines that will atleast be able to maintain the zone and have a skill guy on it, and Hartman and Sturm have sure as hell showed more than the trio of suck.

Kaprizov-Ek-Greenway
Foligno-Bonino-Fiala
Parise-Sturm-Hartman
Mayhew-two of the trio of suck on a rotating basis until they get their heads out of their bums

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I never thought that i would be praying for the return of Zuccarello.

Bottom line is that Evason has no skilled C's...none. JEE is a kickass grinder that can be a #2C in a pinch.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I never thought that i would be praying for the return of Zuccarello.

Bottom line is that Evason has no skilled C's...none. JEE is a kickass grinder that can be a #2C in a pinch.
Bonino has been pretty much as advertised. Him and JEE in the top 6 with fiala and Kaprizov would be atleast serviceable if the third player with them wouldn't turn the puck over everytime they touched it.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I have been disappointed with Bonino, myself. Not massively, but he's pretty invisible, and plays usually die on his stick.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Evason has to figure out at some point having an elite 3rd line isn't worth putting trash with your top two players right?

We have like 7 forwards that atleast belong in the NHL in a top 9 role and 2 that could probably be passable in a 3rd line role. You can make two lines that will atleast be able to maintain the zone and have a skill guy on it, and Hartman and Sturm have sure as hell showed more than the trio of suck.

Kaprizov-Ek-Greenway
Foligno-Bonino-Fiala
Parise-Sturm-Hartman
Mayhew-two of the trio of suck on a rotating basis until they get their heads out of their bums
It's not the 3rd line. You can argue that they should swap some skill into Foligno's spot, but the EK line is the one thing that shouldn't be complained about right now.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I have been disappointed with Bonino, myself. Not massively, but he's pretty invisible, and plays usually die on his stick.
I'm not saying he's been great. But he's winning 57% of his faceoffs, been solid defensively and if he was playing 3C as opposed to stapled to Fiala/Kaprizov with trash as the third wheel we would have a lot less complaints.

It's not the 3rd line. You can argue that they should swap some skill into Foligno's spot, but the EK line is the one thing that shouldn't be complained about right now.
I'm not complaining about how that line has performed.

I'm complaining that in order to keep that line together we are leaving our 2 best scoring threats out to dry to keep them together when all 3 could help them better than our current options.

Last edited by a moderator:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm not saying he's been great. But he's winning 57% of his faceoffs, been solid defensively and if he was playing 3C as opposed to stapled to Fiala/Kaprizov with trash as the third wheel we would have a lot less complaints.
Absolutely. He's ok as a #3C. Not his fault that he is being penciled in as a #1.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm not complaining about how that line has performed.

I'm complaining that in order to keep that line together we are leaving our 2 best scoring threats out to dry to keep them together when all 3 could help them better than our current options.
Keeping the Ek line together isn't what's hanging Kaprizov/Fiala out to dry. Playing Parise 20 minutes a night is what's doing that. There's nothing stopping Evason from running Kap/Bonino/Fiala and Greenway/Ek/Foligno 18 minutes a night.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Once Zuccarello is back, the Top 6 can actually look like a somewhat decent one (if Evason realizes that Kap and/or Fiala need better talent than Bjugstad, Rask, and Johansson).

Greenway - Ek - Kap
Zucc - Bonino - Fiala

Guys like Rask, Johansson, Parise, and Bjugstad can probably perform better if they’re not getting constantly paired against players that are trying to shutdown Kap and Fiala the entire game.

Keeping the Ek line together isn't what's hanging Kaprizov/Fiala out to dry. Playing Parise 20 minutes a night is what's doing that. There's nothing stopping Evason from running Kap/Bonino/Fiala and Greenway/Ek/Foligno 18 minutes a night.

I like that idea a lot until Zucc comes back.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I certainly wouldn't be opposed to trying that line. I had Parise on my 3rd line.

But of the 7 forwards seeing semi consistent top 6 time, he's at worst 4th on the shit list.

Still a pest around the net and boards even if he can't cycle to save his life anymore. Other 3 can't do anything.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I certainly wouldn't be opposed to trying that line. I had Parise on my 3rd line.

But of the 7 forwards seeing semi consistent top 6 time, he's at worst 4th on the shit list.

Still a pest around the net and boards even if he can't cycle to save his life anymore. Other 3 can't do anything.
Parise is trash

Reactions: GuerinUp

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Fiala - JEE - Kap
Greenway - Bonino - Foligno
Parise/Johansson - Sturm - Zuccarello
Johansson/Parise - Rask - Bjugstad

PP1:
Kap, Fiala, Suter, Dumba and Bonino (face off, then swap with a righty)

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wherein the x's are all filled by third liners;
Wherein Greenway is taken by Seattle;

Kaprizov-x-Zuccarello
Parise-x-Fiala
Foligno-Ek-Boldy
Rossi-Rask-Sturm

Filip Karlsson

Oct 6, 2020

Kaprizov-x-Zuccarello
Parise-x-Fiala
Foligno-Ek-Boldy
Rossi-Rask-Sturm
Rossi as 4LW? Might as well not play him in the NHL if you're gonna play him there

Rossi as 4LW? Might as well not play him in the NHL if you're gonna play him there
Unless you're joking and I'm just dumb

Last edited by a moderator:

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

Kaprizov-x-Zuccarello
Parise-x-Fiala
Foligno-Ek-Boldy
Rossi-Rask-Sturm

Unrealistic since Evason will demand Greenway be protected over Fiala in the ED.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It would be great if Parise agreed to be exposed for the Seettle ED, assuming that Dumba isn't traded before then.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
And that's where you wonder if the way Staal and Koivu were treated won't make another vet wary of being vulnerable with Guerin.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Why are we galaxy braining this?

Kap-JEE-Fiala
Parise-Bjugstad-Zucc
Foligno-Bonino-Greenway
Johanson-Sturm-Hartman

Rask rotates in to 4th line and Sturm to wing.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
And that's where you wonder if the way Staal and Koivu were treated won't make another vet wary of being vulnerable with Guerin.
Parise has a lot of leverage outside of his NMC, he only has 1 more year of high salary. He can likely use the threat of retirement to control where he plays because its in the Wild's interest for him to keep playing.

Only way I can see it ending poorly for Parise is if he enjoys playing enough that he isn't willing to retire(which is possible).

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Parise has a lot of leverage outside of his NMC, he only has 1 more year of high salary. He can likely use the threat of retirement to control where he plays because its in the Wild's interest for him to keep playing.

Only way I can see it ending poorly for Parise is if he enjoys playing enough that he isn't willing to retire(which is possible).
Parise's ego won't allow him to do that to the Wild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad