Prospect Info: 2021 Leafs Board Prospect Rankings #8

Prospect Ranking #8

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Abramov is top 4 and still on the board ha. That’s as far sideways as a rating system of fans can go i suppose. Minimum Abramov is right there with all of the top five that haven’t played a Nhl game yet.
I now know nobody has paid attention to Abramov. He’s developing great to this point. Ahead of 5,6 And 7 significantly.
He will show well this Ahl season and get noticed i will guess

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Bracco at age 21 had 79 points in 75 games. I think we can agree considering his age and level that’s pretty good. There was reason to be optimistic at that point and then the next year everything went down hill.

If any of the upcoming prospects get 79 points in 75 games in the AHL everyone will be optimistic for them.

true, that was the one year he produced - but his reputation was built long before that season through junior, and it never had any backup.

That 21yr old year was a clear outlier up to that point, and mostly based on PP production, and was the year that some of us hoped would juice his value enough to make him good trade bait. Personally I was hoping we could sell high on him that year and use him as the key piece in our big dman deal instead of Grundstrom.

Reactions: Apex Predator

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Bracco at age 21 had 79 points in 75 games. I think we can agree considering his age and level that’s pretty good. There was reason to be optimistic at that point and then the next year everything went down hill.

If any of the upcoming prospects get 79 points in 75 games in the AHL everyone will be optimistic for them.

That was my impression as well. But boy has it ever gone downhill for him lately, I don't know many of the details but it sure sounds like a sad story

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Guys like Craig Button would be freaking out about Abruzzese not being in the Top 5. Good prospect but looks like he'll end up in the right spot here.

I'm high on Abruzzese but his age combined with the lost year, injury and the fact he's only had the 1 really high end year gives me pause. I'm ready to jump him up quickly if he has a good year next year though.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
abramov is by far the easiest choice here ... there is a large dropoff after the 8th selection

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Abramov is top 4 and still on the board ha. That’s as far sideways as a rating system of fans can go i suppose. Minimum Abramov is right there with all of the top five that haven’t played a Nhl game yet.
I now know nobody has paid attention to Abramov. He’s developing great to this point. Ahead of 5,6 And 7 significantly.
But why? You kind of just threw some word salad together and hoped for the best without showing any work.
Abramov is really good.
I mean he's good, but no one has showed anything in here about why he's our 8th best prospect. Like he has 54 votes and not a single person has made their case for him. Trust me I like him, when he doubled his next teammate in points 2 years ago I was really high on him. But this last year was a step back, you expect more in a d+2 especially in the CHL, although it was a weird year, a lot of players still took step forward.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Based on what? Hirvonen played on the top line for Finland at the WJC and was around ppg. Niemela was named best D man at the WJC and had 8pts in 7 games. Abramov wasn't even a regular for Russia. They only put him in 4 of their 7 games and he had 2 pts playing on the 3rd line. So why is He significantly better than those 2?

Knies i will give you only based on the fact that most of us haven't actually watched him play yet. He was only drafted a few weeks ago and all we have to go on was his recent performance at the WJSS. So to say he is ahead of Abramov is premature.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Based on what? Hirvonen played on the top line for Finland at the WJC and was around ppg. Niemela was named best D man at the WJC and had 8pts in 7 games. Abramov wasn't even a regular for Russia. They only put him in 4 of their 7 games and he had 2 pts playing on the 3rd line. So why is He significantly better than those 2?

Knies i will give you only based on the fact that most of us haven't actually watched him play yet. He was only drafted a few weeks ago and all we have to go on was his recent performance at the WJSS. So to say he is ahead of Abramov is premature.
He was the best pkayer on the ice every shift at wjhcs and got no playing time from that coach through no fault of his own. Russian coaches favour players not playing outside of Russian and everyone knows that.Then Russia needed him in the lineup and what do you know they improved. He’s awesome.
He’s been first line offensive generator and goal scorer on bad teams in the Q. He’s just much further developed. By a significant amount. Then he Captains a championship and second leading scorer in the Qmjhl playoffs.Watch him go this year with the Marlies. He can skate with ahlers. The guy is good. I kind of think you haven’t paid much attention like many in this poll. He good,really good. He also Captained a championship and played second line center with Russia not third

https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-prospects-abramov-kallgren/

A little blurb on his Wjhcs Leafs’ prospect Mikhail Abramov suspended one game by IIHF

He is a clutch player when you need him. We need so e of that Mikhail Abramov is a QMJHL Champion

Last edited:
Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I like Abramov because of the versatility and good enough size, good playoff performance. I also remember he was in bad teams, and his output dwarfed his mates. Gave the impression (not unlike SDA) that he could probably hang with better players.

Kokkonen has been doing well in men’s leagues for quite awhile.

I’ll go with the D.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
He was the best pkayer on the ice every shift at wjhcs and got no playing time from that coach through no fault of his own. Russian coaches favour players not playing outside of Russian and everyone knows that.Then Russia needed him in the lineup and what do you know they improved. He’s awesome.
He’s been first line offensive generator and goal scorer on bad teams in the Q. He’s just much further developed. By a significant amount. Then he Captains a championship and second leading scorer in the Qmjhl playoffs.Watch him go this year with the Marlies. He can skate with ahlers. The guy is good. I kind of think you haven’t paid much attention like many in this poll. He good,really good. He also Captained a championship and played second line center with Russia not third

A little blurb on his Wjhcs Leafs’ prospect Mikhail Abramov suspended one game by IIHF

He is a clutch player when you need him. We need so e of that Mikhail Abramov is a QMJHL Champion
The fact that Larionov wasn't playing him every game was a joke. He's an energetic player and you noticed him every shift but the points weren't there. I think he has a higher chance of making it as an NHLer and likely has a higher ceiling than Hirvonen based on size and shot but I have Roni ahead right now because he has been playing top line as a teen in a men's pro league already and doing well. He also had a very impressive showing at the WJSS recently with 8 goals and 2 assists in 6 games. If we are putting our prospects into tiers instead of ranking them 1-20, I would have them in the 2nd tier.

I have Niemela ahead of both. I dont see anything in his game that suggests he could be anything less than a #4 D man. He's a fantastic skater, poised under pressure, solid defensively, great in transition, makes good decisions all over the ice, looks pretty good QBing the PP and has an insane ability to find the net through traffic. He also plays pretty physical and I've seen him lay much bigger guys out. I consider him to be very much like TJ. Brodie. Hopefully he could become the next Kaberle. Him being named best Dman at the WJC with the likes of Drysdale and Byram playing gives him a huge boost to his ranking. As well as playing top minutes in a pro league.

Reactions: Morgs

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
There's a reason Abramov isn't going 5th like I had him ranked post 2020 draft. He regressed from a fantastic d+1 and should have dominated the Q as a 19/20 year old.

I cut him some slack because there were 3(?) major interrupts in his season and after a great start he really didn't get back on the same track. Oh he also was the best player and captain for the QMJHL championship team. Not to mention was great when Larionov actually let him play for Russia.

The guy really is good, but its concerning to see the numbers regress irregardless. If he doesn't produce with the Marlies next season (assuming they treat him well) then I'd really start talking about moving him down the list.

Reactions: nuck

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
For those worried about Abramov's production: Don't be.

1) His ES numbers improved. His PP numbers just seriously regressed. Victoriaville's PP was awful before they added the likes of Beaucage, Element, and Tardif. Of course, when they added those guys, it also cut into the amount of shots Abramov could take but it at least gave him time and space and he was a lot more productive on the PP in the second half.
2) He rebounded in the playoffs and dominated, albeit in more of the playmaking role he had from before his D+1 year. Had the best PP P1/GP in the playoffs by far.
3) His ice time, especially his offensive ice time, was cut to give more offensive acquisitions (Beaucage, Element, Tardif, etc.) some opportunities to thrive. Was still getting major defensive assignments because he was one of the better defensive players on that team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad