Prospect Info: 2021 Leafs Board Prospect Rankings #11

Prospect Ranking #11

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I don't even see how it is a fight... It is a fact that he is not a Leafs' prospect.
Haha that was my stance last season as well, and is absolutely correct. Neither are leafs prospects.

I think it comes down to the fact that I think Pataruzzi is a much better prospect than Barzeau was. That's why I flip flop so much

Reactions: Morgs

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I was saying that ov played in the K and more than just a handful of games. This is a good sign considering 18 and 19 year old almost never play in that league . and yes i understand the points , role , ice time thing buts its very impressive just to be on a team at that age. meanwhile he dominated the lower league and played really well for his country when called upon.

maybe its unclear, are we comparing ncaa to MHL , shouldnt we be comparing USHL to MHL at the same age ? ov will be full time KHL or even AHL at the same age abruz is now. Maybe im too caught up on age and quality of competition but when is abruz going to join a real mans league ,, at 23 or 24 years old ?

Lol he played less than a minute on average in the KHL last season. He was strictly there because they needed another forward.

The thing is Abruzzese is more of a known at this point than Ovi. Again, I'm a big fan of his, i just don't like your reasoning.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Perspective shift, if we had used our 2018 7th's on Steeves and Gogolev and had been following them more closely/hopefully these last couple of years, how much more highly would they be regarded? Which would it have impacted more?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Thanks. Top goalie prospect?

I don't know too much about him, but I'd assume so; if he was a prospect (but he can leave to any other team if he wanted to). His numbers are great compared to Woll & Scott lately, and Ahktyamov has played in a similar level league with great, not exceptional numbers.

It's definitely between him and Ahktyamov for me though.

Reactions: ACC1224

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Perspective shift, if we had used our 2018 7th's on Steeves and Gogolev and had been following them more closely/hopefully these last couple of years, how much more highly would they be regarded? Which would it have impacted more?

A lot higher, especially Steeves. Great numbers last season on a meh team while being a similar age to Abruzzese when he put up his massive season.

Gogolev seems to have a pretty large following already, and it's definitely deserved after what he's done the last few years.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't know too much about him, but I'd assume so; if he was a prospect (but he can leave to any other team if he wanted to). His numbers are great compared to Woll & Scott lately, and Ahktyamov has played in a similar level league with great, not exceptional numbers.

It's definitely between him and Ahktyamov for me though.
Thanks. Having a potential goalie in the next few years is huge

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Lol he played less than a minute on average in the KHL last season. He was strictly there because they needed another forward.

The thing is Abruzzese is more of a known at this point than Ovi. Again, I'm a big fan of his, i just don't like your reasoning.

but he still made the team ... lol
well we stand at an impasse ... i dont like your reasoning of comparing ov mhl vs abruz ncaa states when age matter. :)

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
A lot higher, especially Steeves. Great numbers last season on a meh team while being a similar age to Abruzzese when he put up his massive season.

Gogolev seems to have a pretty large following already, and it's definitely deserved after what he's done the last few years.

Yeah, I was thinking similarly, which moves Steeves up into the current group for me.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Maybe I'm too low on Abruzzese, but to me he's in a similar boat to Ian Scott with a less impressive track record. He had one great year, but obviously missing a whole season to injury/Covid is going to be very hard for anyone to overcome. I like SDA/Gogolev/Holmberg for this range

chamchibap

Jun 15, 2018
There is something i like about Koster and his game that I think could translate to the NHL given time. Also like Ovchinnikov and Kral and SDA, so many hopefuls with projectable pro type games/skill. Obviously even one or two making the jump would be a huge win

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Between Abruzzese and Voit for me. The only two players I can see becoming more than bottom-of-the-lineup guys. I liked Villeneuve in his draft year, but he had a rough season.

I've got a soft spot for SDA but I don't really see him or anyone else touching the NHL.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Between Abruzzese and Voit for me. The only two players I can see becoming more than bottom-of-the-lineup guys. I liked Villeneuve in his draft year, but he had a rough season.

I've got a soft spot for SDA but I don't really see him or anyone else touching the NHL.

Don't sleep on Holmberg.

Or Ovchinnikov for that matter.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Don't sleep on Holmberg.

Or Ovchinnikov for that matter.

I don't see much in either. I'm the last person to go use size as a criteria, but the facts are those two are undersized and not particularly physically gifted in other areas. It will be tough for them to make it. OV hasn't even really played in the KHL yet and Holmberg is 22 and isn't yet a top SHL player (playoffs are a pretty small sample guys).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't see much in either. I'm the last person to go use size as a criteria, but the facts are those two are undersized and not particularly physically gifted in other areas. It will be tough for them to make it. OV hasn't even really played in the KHL yet and Holmberg is 22 and isn't yet a top SHL player (playoffs are a pretty small sample guys).

1. Holmberg's playoffs sample is 1/3 the size of his regular season sample.
2. Last year was his age 21yr and he was a ~20gl/45pt guy in the regular season. That is quite good for that age.
3. His 40gl/80pt pace MVP playoffs performance was even better obviously.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
1. Holmberg's playoffs sample is 1/3 the size of his regular season sample.
2. Last year was his age 21yr and he was a ~20gl/45pt guy in the regular season. That is quite good for that age.
3. His 40gl/80pt pace MVP playoffs performance was even better obviously.

It's 14 games dude. 14 games.

Last season he had 17 points in 52 games, so not sure what numbers you're making up there.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's 14 games dude. 14 games.

Last season he had 17 points in 52 games, so not sure what numbers you're making up there.

20-21 (Age 21): Reg: 45gms, 9gls, 23pts --- Plyff: 14gms, 7gls, 14pts

Total: 59gms, 16gls, 37pts (22gls/51pts pace)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
20-21 (Age 21): Reg: 45gms, 9gls, 23pts --- Plyff: 14gms, 7gls, 14pts

Total: 59gms, 16gls, 37pts (22gls/51pts pace)

Yeah, those are the combined totals for the 2020-21 season.

Like I said, the season prior (2019-20) he put up 17 points in 52 games.

It doesn't strike me as dominant. It's decent and indicates that he might have an NHL future, but not really as an impact player.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Why use the season prior? He took a major step forward this year in a very tough year development wise, and furthered that in his playoffs. It's exactly what you want from a prospect. If he doesn't take another step forward this year then I would agree, but right now for a 6th round he looks solid.

Reactions: Lauro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad