• C/W - Roni Hirvonen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Sandin!

Next one will be difficult between Amirov and Robertson. :DD

(I can't wait for Liljegren to finally get a real chance in the NHL, but I hope he only finishes 4th here, just for the tears and outraged overreactions of the prospect thread guys :popcorn: )
No need for raging. Liljegren has been underrated for years so let it continue.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Amirov has got to take this one for being a "Goldilocks" prospect among our higher end guys. He seems to have a well rounded high end skillset, a decent pro size and no real glaring limitations he needs to overcome (bad footspeed for Sandin, extremely small for Robertson).

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
About time to start this, thanks Morgs!

Options should be sorted by name though, not by your preference, ...

Would love to do Top 30!

I'm only making the first 10 my preference, but I'd be shocked if anyone other than the top-4 go top-4.

Reactions: stickty111

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
:facepalm:
:shakehead:
Signs from someone who clearly hasn't watched a single game in the AHL.
Fill me in, what has he done in the AHL that makes him still a top prospect 4 years after being drafted? Was it that scintillating 5 goal season a couple of years ago that has you so stoked? I can accept that I'm wrong about the guy, but give me something other than emoji's to convince me I'm wrong. He fails my eye test, but what have you seen? :huh:

Reactions: The Iceman

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I'm aware how good some of the other prospects are but Robertson to me is the most ready so I guess I'm going by that. Lilly is right there then too.

I'm big on Sandin but he was exposed a bit last year pretty bad. He's too smart not to learn from it. Big hopes for him.

Going by who's ready

Robertson
Lilly
Sandman

Maybe best in terms of high end
Amirov

Big hopes
Niemela
Knies

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Fill me in, what has he done in the AHL that makes him still a top prospect 4 years after being drafted? Was it that scintillating 5 goal season a couple of years ago that has you so stoked? I can accept that I'm wrong about the guy, but give me something other than emoji's to convince me I'm wrong. He fails my eye test, but what have you seen? :huh:
Judging by goal totals is an interesting way to evaluate a prospect but sure.

He has improved in every aspect especially defensively since being drafted. His offensive confidence is much better then it was in his first year, and has established himself as an elite 2 way AHL d man. He shuts down plays in transition and for the AHL level is a star defensively. It's easy to see why he is a top prospect.
Very good skater if a bit clunky, multi level offensively and plays great transition defence.

Here is a section from an article on him.

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2021/08/17/toronto-maple-leafs-2021-prospect-rankings-1-5/

"Liljegren is a 6’0″ right-shooting defenseman who covers plenty of ground in the neutral zone. Although he’s now played parts of four seasons with the Marlies and already boasts a little bit of NHL experience, it’s important to remember that he is still only 22. He continues to become stronger and stronger over time, and his offensive game has significantly improved over the years as well. The 2017 first-round pick continued to look like one of the best defensemen in the AHL and is on the brink of earning a permanent role at the NHL level.

Liljegren defends opposing zone entry attempts quite well, giving even fast wingers a tough time beating him to the outside. While he’s not quite big and strong enough to play on a top NHL penalty kill unit, he does receive plenty of time there with the Marlies and should be able to play on the second unit when needed. He will need to stand out more offensively if he’s going to be a top-four option, but he’s more of a two-way defenseman than a pure offensive defenseman at the AHL level.
Liljegren is now far more confident in rushing the puck up the ice compared to his first seasons. He’s always been more than capable of completing a nice stretch pass, but he was far too cautious early on in his professional career and looked like he was simply trying to fit in.
There is some serious zip on his shot, but he hasn’t scored as much as I expected him to at draft time. He is improving in that regard, though — he’s picking his spots better and jumping up into the play more. He’s never been afraid to fire off a hard one-timer, but it’s his wrist shot that really stands out to me. He needs to continue to jump up and use it more.

Unless the Leafs trade Morgan Rielly, the Leafs probably won’t have an opportunity for Liljegren on their power play next season given that Sandin is NHL ready. That puts more pressure on Liljegren’s defensive game, which was certainly not his calling card when the Leafs drafted him. However, if he’s a strong enough play-driver at five-on-five, the Leafs will find a spot for him eventually. The team might have a tough time re-signing Rielly after next season, and if so, it will be nice to have an NHL-ready puck-moving defenseman who’s ready to contribute when called on.
My hope for Liljegren is that he’s slightly above league average both offensively and defensively. He’s one of the better defensemen in the AHL and it’s important to remember that he’s still quite young. Unless you’re absolutely elite offensively, like Cale Makar or Quinn Hughes, defensemen take quite a while to develop. There simply aren’t many defensemen in the league who were born in 1999 or later and are contributing to a contending team.
Liljegren needs to bring more to the table offensively during his next NHL call-up rather than trying to be completely unnoticeable. Based on his play in the AHL last season, I expect him to do just that. If he can continue his year-over-year offensive growth, I still think he could be a top-four option, but he can be a bit clumsy at times and he’ll need to avoid the big mistakes. He could hold his own in an NHL role today, but since he’s not waiver eligible next season, the Leafs don’t necessarily have to rush here."

I bolded the important info.

Last edited:

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Other than highlight packages I haven't watched any of them play a single game other than Sandin, Liljegren and Robertson when they were with the Leafs. From what I've seen, read here and in articles throughout,
1) most likely to be an impact player: Amirov
2) smartest: Sandin
3) enjoyable: Robertson
4) most important to the team this year: Liljegren

I went with Liljegren.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I voted Amirov. - This fanbase doesn’t realize how good he is.
I like his game, quickness,shot,skating,playmaking,gritty down the wall. I will enjoy watching how he progresses on the Marlies this year. It’s going to be a dynamic young team. Marlies are back to contend if all our Rookies are together there this year. Robertson is bubble and really needs to pip in camp to make the team. The rookie tourney will be interesting etc. We have some really solid prospects

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I like his game, quickness,shot,skating,playmaking,gritty down the wall. I will enjoy watching how he progresses on the Marlies this year. It’s going to be a dynamic young team. Marlies are back to contend if all our Rookies are together there this year. Robertson is bubble and really needs to pip in camp to make the team. The rookie tourney will be interesting etc. We have some really solid prospects
Hes not playing for the Marlies. Amirov finally had a spot in the top 6 in the KHL, was crushing the pre-season but ended up breaking his collarbone.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If you think Liljegren is a better prospect than Sandin, you're wrong. Robertson and Amirov are above Lilj too.
No it's not. It's just a bias and narrative driven thing where some believe Sandin is well ahead of Liljegren. His skating and defence is way ahead and it's not even close. IQ is on the same level even though people don't want to hear it. Whats wrong is saying other people are wrong who might have others being better prospects. Robertson being ahead is extremely questionable. Liljegren has a star at the AHL level for 2 years now while Robertson was just okay there.

Reactions: supermann_98

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Sandin for me. And overall I think there’s a strong top 6 before the talent level starts to really drop off:
  1. Sandin
  2. Robertson
  3. Amirov
  4. Liljegren
  5. Niemela
  6. Knies
My vote for next up: Abruzzese

Last edited:
Reactions: teddygmr

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sandin
Robertson
Liligren
is pretty much the accepted order with Amirov closing in on Liligren.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad