• C/W - Roni Hirvonen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If you think Liljegren is a better prospect than Sandin, you're wrong. Robertson and Amirov are above Lilj too.

The Leafs management believe Sandin >> Liljegren since they played him in last years playoffs, instead of Dermott even at times, while Lil wasn't even on the roster for the Leafs, and Sandin is younger and drafted a year later.

The only Leafs prospect that dressed for a playoff game is likely Leafs best prospect as a result.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I still like Robertson but won't disagree with someone voting Sandin. His skating, or lack of skating ability, tips the scale to Robertson for me. Of course it can be worked on, but his footwork was a major issue in the playoffs.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
I feel we say this every year now and every year management would rather throw in a plug like Calle Rosen when vacancies open up. I really hope he finally gets a shot this year; we need to see what he can do.

I wonder if there is a bias towards lilj .Doesn't seem to be given the same amount of chances as others. Maybe there's a reason we don't know? Maybe it's all b.s "politics" hopefully we find out one way or another

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
No it's not. It's just a bias and narrative driven thing where some believe Sandin is well ahead of Liljegren. His skating and defence is way ahead and it's not even close. IQ is on the same level even though people don't want to hear it. Whats wrong is saying other people are wrong who might have others being better prospects. Robertson being ahead is extremely questionable. Liljegren has a star at the AHL level for 2 years now while Robertson was just okay there.

In fairness Nick played the AHL season as a 19 year old. Tough league for a 19 year old.
And I fully understand your take on Lily is better than Sandin.
In very limited views I do not see it, and to now neither does management. We will see if u were on to something even before management in the coming seasons.
I will say Liljegren has had an awesome development model playing in Europe, AHL in all situations and a cup of coffee in the NHL.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I wonder if there is a bias towards lilj .Doesn't seem to be given the same amount of chances as others. Maybe there's a reason we don't know? Maybe it's all b.s "politics" hopefully we find out one way or another

Sandin & Robertson = Dubas 1st two draft picks in as his top picks in consecutive years.
Liljegren = drafted by Lou Lam

Management generally prefers players they were involved in decision making process. Thus the likely management ranking of

Sandin
Robertson
Amirov
---------------
Liligren

I wouldn't be surprised if Lil is used as trade bait at the TD or used in another trade if a prospect is involved.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Hes not playing for the Marlies. Amirov finally had a spot in the top 6 in the KHL, was crushing the pre-season but ended up breaking his collarbone.
I thought he was coming over. Two months ago i hated this team and said I wasn’t watching any more ha. Still not keeping up like before. He would be better off on what looks like it is goung to be a solid Marlies team.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Going with Liljegren as the #1, seeing as how Sandin basically skates like a slightly more agile Brad Marsh
That’s a solid choice too. He’s not gotten the opportunity to get anything going with the Leafs. At this point they have held him back. Marincin should have never played over him for context. Play him or trade him is the decision they should make. Stralman number two coming if they trade him.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
In the season Keefe was hired, Liljegren wasn't called up earlier because the injuries happened to the left side d man. Bob even said if a RHD got hurt, Liljegren would have been called up. Last year healthy D core and salary cap prevented him from getting called up for more then 2 games. Bonuses are hurting him. Amirov even mentioned he structured his ELC in a way where he could play for the Leafs sooner.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He came over for a bit earlier this summer just for training purposes.
I kind if think a few years from now Amirov fits right in the conversation as to who our best young player is. It’s really close and Abramov is a really intense player. He gets missed somewhat but that’s ok too.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
In the season Keefe was hired, Liljegren wasn't called up earlier because the injuries happened to the left side d man. Bob even said if a RHD got hurt, Liljegren would have been called up. Last year healthy D core and salary cap prevented him from getting called up for more then 2 games. Bonuses are hurting him. Amirov even mentioned he structured his ELC in a way where he could play for the Leafs sooner.
I figured there were reasons. Im hoping they give him every chance to kick some ass this upcoming season.

Reactions: stickty111

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Judging by goal totals is an interesting way to evaluate a prospect but sure.

He has improved in every aspect especially defensively since being drafted. His offensive confidence is much better then it was in his first year, and has established himself as an elite 2 way AHL d man. He shuts down plays in transition and for the AHL level is a star defensively. It's easy to see why he is a top prospect.
Very good skater if a bit clunky, multi level offensively and plays great transition defence.
Ok he has improved in every aspect especially defensively according to you and some fan blog article, but if that's true why did he look like a defensive nightmare every second he was on the ice when he played for the Leafs? Every shift I saw it was a scramble with him holding on for dear life and his partner pulling out his hair trying to help him. Some wordy fan fiction from the hot stove lounge doesn't affect my opinion the same way seeing him drowning every shift did. He isn't Morgan Riley lite, he's Stuart Percy version 2.0

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Ok he has improved in every aspect especially defensively according to you and some fan blog article, but if that's true why did he look like a defensive nightmare every second he was on the ice when he played for the Leafs? Every shift I saw it was a scramble with him holding on for dear life and his partner pulling out his hair trying to help him. Some wordy fan fiction from the hot stove lounge doesn't affect my opinion the same way seeing him drowning every shift did. He isn't Morgan Riley lite, he's Stuart Percy version 2.0
That was literally 11 games. He was much better this season in the 2 games. I provided you evidence, you didn't like it because it didn't fit your opinion. Seems like your mind was already made up and nothing would change your stance. Thats not the article's fault. You can believe he is Stuart Percy, too bad it goes against facts and logic. The eye test shows he was a star at the AHL level. He is tracking to be a top 4 all situations player. You are showing biases.

Last edited:

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Amirov, Robertson, Sandin, Liljegren...
Amirov/Robertson, LW prospects with Ritchie, Kerfoot, Mikheyev, Bunting, Engvall, at times Nylander and each other fighting for a slot on the team.
Sandin, LD prospect with Rielly, Muzzin and Dermott all more experienced.
Liljegren, RD prospect with Brodie, Holl and Dermott (?) in front of him.

Amirov and Robertson may both project higher than either Sandin or Liljegren, but at this time, the Leafs need one of the two D to excel more than the LWers. I wish nothing but the best for Sandin, but today, my money is on TL being the more important hope for the team. In my opinion a defense corps of:
*Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Holl, Dermott, and Liljegren - if TL is capable of making the jump - is stronger than,
*Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Holl, Dermott (playing his offside), and Sandin.

By signing Ritchie and Bunting I think the team is betting on either Dermott successfully sliding to RD, or Liljegren making the jump. If you have a 22 year old, 17th OA pick, who has earned top billing on your feeder team, has earned all star status, is a natural right hander, and plays the position where your team is the weakest, I don't know how you pick anyone but Timothy Liljegren.

Reactions: stickty111

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
That was literally 11 games. He was much better this season in the 2 games. I provided you evidence, you didn't like it because it didn't fit your opinion. Seems like your mind was already made up and nothing would change your stance. Thats not the article's fault. You can believe he is Stuart Percy, too bad it goes against facts and logic. The eye test shows he was a star at the AHL level. He is tracking to be a top 4 all situations player. You are showing biases.
I hope you are right, i really do. But your evidence was some rainbow and sunshine fan blog article about his development, and my evidence was watching him struggle mightily on national tv. I dunno, I don't think my mind was made up at all, I think a fan bog about the guy is a poor attempt to sway my current position. If he kills it at camp I have no problem revising my opinion. I'm skeptical. At minimum he isn't our best prospect. Sandin and Robertson both looked like they belonged when given a chance. Liljegren didn't at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00