Speculation: 2021-22 Kraken Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
God, that forward group is easily the worst in the NHL. Gourde is injured and will miss at least the first month of the season. Better hope there is more coming. The back end has potential, at least.

Like seven middle six forwards and a bunch of scrubs doesn’t strike fear into opponents?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
To walk folks off the ledge here.

Strengths:

- We have over 28M available in cap space.
- Our D is pretty much set. Infact we have too many D-men. No superstars but I would argue that we have more than 4 top-4D on our roster and may move some out.
- We have a really solid bottom-6. Could be arguably one of the tougher ones to play against.
- Goalie situation appears to be good with Driedger, Vanecek and Daccord.

Weaknesses:

- Goalies are young an unproven.
- Top-6 F is big position of weakness. Outside of Gourde (who is injured), McCann (who is young and unproven) and Eberle it is looking pretty bleak. Maybe Appleton can eat 2nd line minutes and Donskoi can work in a pinch but those are big gambles to take.

However, there is long way to go before the season starts. We need to be patient and see what moves happen tomorrow (if any) and then also wait to see how the off-season plays out.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Bottom 6 forwards arent too bad. Top talent is pretty brutal atm, but hoping they make a pitch for grandlund+landy+palms. If those 3 could be had, man... in this division? Playoff team. Add in that (potentially) berneirs could get a look on the team. Impossible to project the lineup until after free agency, there are too many balls in the air atm. I highly doubt francis goes into the season with gourde as 1c, cuz... ewww

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Forwards leave a lot to be desired. Looks like an AHL group minus a handful.
D-core is solid. Nothing special but it's good enough to compete with.
Goaltending isn't as solid as you would assume. Big question mark whether Dreidger can handle 40+ games.
Seems to me that the Kraken are A-Okay with sucking for a few years to build a legit contender.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
Team will reveal trades soon and likely a number of trades soon to come over next 2 weeks. Free agency also will be great chance to pick up players other than overpriced old has beens like Tarasenko, Johansen, Duchene, Voracek etc. Even the team as currently constructed I am sure will surprise. Solid team defense and decent goalies should give really good chance to make playoffs. Big cap space, 2nd overall pick also give lots opportunities to improve.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Forwards leave a lot to be desired. Looks like an AHL group minus a handful.
D-core is solid. Nothing special but it's good enough to compete with.
Goaltending isn't as solid as you would assume. Big question mark whether Dreidger can handle 40+ games.
Seems to me that the Kraken are A-Okay with sucking for a few years to build a legit contender.
Vanecek started 37 games last season, he's more than capable of playing half the season if Hakstol decides to split starts.

The forwards don't look like AHLers, but severely lacking on the top end. I didn't expect Francis to chase all the big names but missing out on virtually all of them sucks. I know they all have injury concerns but they also don't have much term left on their contracts if they don't recover.

Pretty lousy draft, completely a low event roster. Didn't even hit the salary cap floor because he was so conservative. My expectation with this roster is bottom 10.

Reactions: nihlify

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Need some home run side deals or FA signings. This looks pretty ugly to me.

“Yeah but but but Vegas!!” I don’t want to hear this.

Reactions: mathonwy and PM

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Tanev-Gourde-Appleton
Jarnkrok-McCann-Eberle
True-Blackwell-Donskoie
Twarinsky-Bastien-Pitlick

Gio-Larsson
Oleksiak-Dunn
Soucy-Fleury

Drieger-Vanecek
Tanev despite playing left handed normally plays right wing. Also, he is absolutely a bottom 6 forward. Not slagging him—fast skater, hits, can be on the top pk pair, fun, emotional player but he has 42 goals in 295 games. Some of that is usage—he played on a shut down line the last two years, but just not enough offense for top6.

Reactions: PM

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
adam larsson is a monster of a d. great shutdown and very physical
Need some home run side deals or FA signings. This looks pretty ugly to me.

“Yeah but but but Vegas!!” I don’t want to hear this.
Francis strategy is to take a bunch of mediocre players, try to develop them... draft, draft, draft, and then maybe... just maybe, 5-10 years from now, they can be as good as Vegas was in year 1.

Reactions: Pengu and Jdodd

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Some free agents are needed. Looks more like the inaugural Blue Jackets, Thrashers and Predators than The Golden Knights. Either there's some extreme frugality or some of the better players had more asterisks than we could see.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
McCann - Johnson - Eberle
Barre-Boulet - Appleton - Donskoi
Vatrano - Jankrok - Tanev
Lind - True - Bastian

Soucy - Larsson
Oleksiak - Dunn
Fluery - Lauzon

Driedger

Trade Giordano to the Rangers at 50% for 2022 2nd + Matthew Robertson + 2021 4th
Trade Pitlick to Calgary from 2021 3rd
Trade Blackwell for Vatrano
Trade Cholowski to Arizona for a conditional 5th, if he plays 10 NHL games its a 5th or else it becomes a 6th
Trade future considerations to Tampa for Tyler Johnson + Alexander Barre-Boulet + Gabriel Fortier

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
To walk folks off the ledge here.

Strengths:

- We have over 28M available in cap space.
- Our D is pretty much set. Infact we have too many D-men. No superstars but I would argue that we have more than 4 top-4D on our roster and may move some out.
- We have a really solid bottom-6. Could be arguably one of the tougher ones to play against.
- Goalie situation appears to be good with Driedger, Vanecek and Daccord.

I agree with this, in fact you have 12 bottom 6ers, should be really tough to play against that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad